Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
SereneScene

Are you satisfied with your life? Have cause?

93 posts in this topic

I'll give him the UFC thing.

But as for his rebirth as some modern age philosopher, I can't shake images of News Radio

I resolved when I was about 16 (many moons ago) to live life by my own rules and to never have regrets. Over the years I managed to mostly live life on my own terms but in retrospect the whole no regrets thing was naive. Happiness is just a state of mind that comes and goes. I prefer to be able to face myself in the mirror each morning with my self respect intact.

2 people like this

Life is what you make it, but the path to insanity is getting up and going out every morning,driving in a "chug chug" queue for an hour,working 8 hours in a spartan office (1 hr lunch,same old cheese sandwiches,cold out of the machine coffee),listening to the same old chat about the weather, the mortgage,the new baby,and the cretin Boss saying you dont do it that way.then of home thru' the "chug chug" traffic ,with insane drivers cutting you up,the Mrs leaving you a note with a can of unopened beans,saying she has gone to the movies,so you're off down the Pub to see the footy (which has been cancelled) and East Enders is on intead.So you go home,the kids are having a right old ding dong the Mrs isnt back yet. Thats life for Millions of people,who do it for 50 years.I'm glad I wasnt one of them.

Now you've made me Curious Spud! what the heck you been up to all your life? Artist? Street Performer? Soldier? Pirate? lol Tell us, if you would?

I try to live every day as fully as possible because tomorrow you could get hit by a truck.Being miserable causes stress so you could end up with a heart attack or worse,millionaires are miserable and worrying how to make another million.Haha.I haven't a bean but I couldnt care less.

I never got the it could be your last day so enjoy perspective. If tomorrow you're hit by a truck and that's it - poof you're gone - then it won't matter to you what you felt like the previous day. Would you regret that you spent you're last day miserable? No, you'll be finished, no memory of that last day so no regrets. Why not be what you are? In a bad mood? Accept it knowing it will pass like all things must. Ruminating on the misery is no good but accepting it as a transient state seems a healthy part of the full life experience -- to me anyway.

Yeah the drive for money won't alone bring satisfaction and often does just the opposite.

Edited by nothingman

Now you've made me Curious Spud! what the heck you been up to all your life? Artist? Street Performer? Soldier? Pirate? lol Tell us, if you would?

Ha ha well now that's an unexplained mystery...but I did go to sea for a while and was happy going around the world..The Post I made earlier was based on fact as some of my friends who work in offices in the City do exactly that,which I think is a hell of an existence.

One man's meat is another man's poison or different strokes for different folks

I am thinking of going the military route personally, physical work and the chance to go places gets me excited, I really really dont want to be in an office all day long for a job, I long for adventure, the world.

1 person likes this

I am thinking of going the military route personally, physical work and the chance to go places gets me excited, I really really dont want to be in an office all day long for a job, I long for adventure, the world.

I felt much the same when I was young. Joined the marines at 17. I don't regret any of that but now I have reached a point where I just want stability. I still couldn't imagine sitting in an office all day but I like the idea of staying in one spot and putting down roots. The person I was in my twenties would be stunned to hear that.

We all have things we did that turned out badly and so we regret having done them. Live and learn.

to answer the original question for myself, no. i'm not.

it's perfectly legitimate to not be satisfied with your life. i got plenty of good reasons to not be.

2 people like this

Dissatisfaction is like an inner voice screaming to you to make changes. If you instead listen only the '"don't worry be happy" folks you're apt to do nothing but wear a painted smile through the dissatisfaction and make little significant change.

Edited by nothingman
3 people like this

There's always things to be dissatisfied about, and only some of them can or should be changed.

to answer the original question for myself, no. i'm not.

it's perfectly legitimate to not be satisfied with your life. i got plenty of good reasons to not be.

Maybe it's the dis-satisfaction that all of of have experienced that causes us to move on and make new decisions and changes, etc. In a weird kind of way, maybe it has a purpose.

2 people like this

I understand your perspective but you can't speak for me, and very little of what you've said applies to me or my life. My values and activities have nothing to do with bigger, better, newer. No mmatter what we are told we always have the choice to opt out. And when we do pathways that we were blind to will become visible. The only box we are in is one of our own construct. If we don't like the box then we need to stop seeing ourselves as helpless and create something else. We can lead or follow, our choice.

Well that's a nice sentiment. I see people say things like that all the time: "that's not gonna be me! I live my own life! Take life by the horns! Follow my own path!"

What I don't see is that actually happening. Tell me, what DOES make your life so different and "free-er"?

Maybe it's the dis-satisfaction that all of of have experienced that causes us to move on and make new decisions and changes, etc. In a weird kind of way, maybe it has a purpose.

I think you are on to something there, though I think it can go to far as well. In my case times when I have succeeded and attained what I thought I wanted I still couldn't be satisfied and walked away to reinvent myself yet again. Now looking back I can't figure what I was really looking for or if I ever found it. Now when outwardly you would think I should be dissatisfied I'm not.

i'm hesitant to assign purpose to things, personally.

Do you guys have any tips on how to find out what you like to do in life?

I certainly don't want to work in a minimum wage job for long like I'm doing now.

I am curious about the military but I hear so many conflicting things (its horrible/its great).

Then we have college which I tried for a bit but did not have the motivation for and ended up quitting and now have debt without a degree.

So yea I am 24, work at a minimum wage job and just go day by day, I try to stay positive but I feel helpless at times and feel like my life is heading towards failure and time is running out.

Its just very frustrating and depressing, I want to do SOMETHING and I know if I find that something I will put my best effort with no regrets but I cant just do "anything", I dunno if that makes sense per say.

What are you passionate about?

Thats what I find so interesting, people always ask that question about others and sure some might have answers like "fixing cars" "basketball" things like that, there are things I like a LOT lile combat sports such as boxing, martial arts, I love music but I dunno if I can say I am truly passionate about something per say, its frustrating.

Well that's a nice sentiment. I see people say things like that all the time: "that's not gonna be me! I live my own life! Take life by the horns! Follow my own path!"

What I don't see is that actually happening. Tell me, what DOES make your life so different and "free-er"?

Different or free-er than what? I'm over 60, and at some point, well, really, when my life went South (as David Byrne says, "This isn't my beautiful life.") I decided I needed to rebuild it based on things that couldn't be taken away from me or that I could lose: integrity, compassion, curiosity, lifelong learning, friends, family, no material stuff. Because I lost everything I had, car, job, house, furniture, liquid assets, etc. It was painful, just walking around basically naked, with no thing I could use to make a statement about who I was, the only statements I could make to define who I was were what I did and what I said. And it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I got a chance to build a life based on what I alone thought was important. I had a chance to find out what made ME happy, what brought me satisfaction, & how because I was newly single, only had myself to blame for any problems or bad decisions. So I am following my own path, since following someone else's didn't work out very well for me. And really, it's all worked out for me pretty well. I stay in integrity, set goals, make plans, accept responsibility for my life, and try not to whine. And bottom line for me, I'm no longer subject to pressure to conform. I wasn't very good at it in the first place, so now I just don't do it.

Edited by Beany
2 people like this

Do you guys have any tips on how to find out what you like to do in life?

I certainly don't want to work in a minimum wage job for long like I'm doing now.

I am curious about the military but I hear so many conflicting things (its horrible/its great).

Then we have college which I tried for a bit but did not have the motivation for and ended up quitting and now have debt without a degree.

So yea I am 24, work at a minimum wage job and just go day by day, I try to stay positive but I feel helpless at times and feel like my life is heading towards failure and time is running out.

Its just very frustrating and depressing, I want to do SOMETHING and I know if I find that something I will put my best effort with no regrets but I cant just do "anything", I dunno if that makes sense per say.

Maybe in the course of doing something, anything, you'll find that SOMETHING you want to do.

You will feel better once you get a plan down.

So maybe the one option you haven't talked about yet is owning your own business ? or self employment. That way you are in control of your own hrs, your own time and schedule and if travelling is what inspires you, then you will either have the time to do that as a traveller, or go into something that allows you to travel.

The things you mentioned as part of your passions, all those things can be opportunities. Become a fitness instructor ? Can you use your environment as an advantage? like do you live near a beach or a large park. Out of becoming a fitness instructor you can spiral off in many directions - you like to hike and do challenging excursions as well ? then as a fitness instructor you can arrange groups /events and take them off on week long or weekend long excursions around your county/ country and the world. There is business to be made in all these things if you can be good at organising and leading things. Your own business as fitness instructor can get attention by advertising fitness courses to get people fit enough to go on these excursions with you.

I'm just using fitness instructor as an example of how it can expand into other areas that do allow you to travel and do physical orientated things like in the military.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy

Yeah my advice would be similar, just do something, because that's forward motion, and once you get moving in life you'll eventually find your way.

Maybe take some aptitude tests that would narrow down not only what you're interested in, but also what your strengths are.but like Kelevra says, just keep moving. Until you find your SOMETHING, maybe spend a little of your spare time doing volunteer work. Being of service is, I believe, a wonderful gift to both giver & receiver.

Thanks guys, I will admit I have a bit of a problem with thinking, I personally think and analyze things a lot, on one ene it can be a good thing because I can analyze things to a tee and can see the good and bad in all and can give great advice to others on their problems even if its similar to my own.

When it comes to my issues though I over think about it all and end up sitting still, I guess its fear, of faliure, rejection? Not sure. I dont even understand how my mind works, one day I tell myself "you have to take risks! we all fail and that is how you eventually find success, stop thinking and just do!" while other days I feel like "but what if I fail? Then im back to square one as well as being older and with not as many opportunities, I am not getting any younger and I have to find something soon".

Yea my mind is all over the place but I will figure it out..