Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are you satisfied with your life? Have cause?

SereneScene

Different or free-er than what? I'm over 60, and at some point, well, really, when my life went South (as David Byrne says, "This isn't my beautiful life.") I decided I needed to rebuild it based on things that couldn't be taken away from me or that I could lose: integrity, compassion, curiosity, lifelong learning, friends, family, no material stuff. Because I lost everything I had, car, job, house, furniture, liquid assets, etc. It was painful, just walking around basically naked, with no thing I could use to make a statement about who I was, the only statements I could make to define who I was were what I did and what I said. And it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I got a chance to build a life based on what I alone thought was important. I had a chance to find out what made ME happy, what brought me satisfaction, & how because I was newly single, only had myself to blame for any problems or bad decisions. So I am following my own path, since following someone else's didn't work out very well for me. And really, it's all worked out for me pretty well. I stay in integrity, set goals, make plans, accept responsibility for my life, and try not to whine. And bottom line for me, I'm no longer subject to pressure to conform. I wasn't very good at it in the first place, so now I just don't do it.

"It's only when we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - one of my favorite quotes. It seems you lived it. You abandoned a life of materialism and pursued more meaningful endeavors like building relationships with your family. Essentially, you evolved.

I try to stay happy simply because It's more run then being sad lol.

Just dont bode on the past or future for too long and you will be fine.

And i like to believe there is some sort of purpose

No, my life was ruined by people with I am the most vicious animal of all attitudes.

"It's only when we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - one of my favorite quotes. It seems you lived it. You abandoned a life of materialism and pursued more meaningful endeavors like building relationships with your family. Essentially, you evolved.

Yes, whether I wanted to or not. I just got a big ol' kick in the head from the Universe that I couldn't ignore. So now I always tell people, don't wait until you get a big kick in the head. If you feel a little tap, pay attention.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I will admit I have a bit of a problem with thinking, I personally think and analyze things a lot, on one ene it can be a good thing because I can analyze things to a tee and can see the good and bad in all and can give great advice to others on their problems even if its similar to my own.

When it comes to my issues though I over think about it all and end up sitting still, I guess its fear, of faliure, rejection? Not sure. I dont even understand how my mind works, one day I tell myself "you have to take risks! we all fail and that is how you eventually find success, stop thinking and just do!" while other days I feel like "but what if I fail? Then im back to square one as well as being older and with not as many opportunities, I am not getting any younger and I have to find something soon".

Yea my mind is all over the place but I will figure it out..

So what you feel is what you feel, it's neither right nor wrong. It will eventually change. Until then, why not give yourself permission to be exactly where you're at? Beating yourself up over it is counter-productive, and your current situation is pretty common. When the pain of not doing something becomes worse than the thought of failure, you'll make a move.

Edited by Beany

Depression is the pits; take my word for it. We are not guaranteed happiness and some of us are more prone to mood swings than others. Luck of the draw I guess. I don't think there is any single thing we can do that will assure happiness -- try one thing and then another until something works -- either that or just forget the whole thing and get on with life.

No, my life was ruined by people with I am the most vicious animal of all attitudes.

Im curious about what you mean by this statement?

So I came across and interesting question that made me think, if I had a billion dollars, what would I do?

I thought to myself and I would probably travel to all the intersting places in the world I want to go to, I would help lesser fortunate people, I mean I am a pretty laid back person, I just like to relax and enjoy things like food, nature etc.

So yea I dont know how that helps but thats what I would do.

A lot of people my age don't wake up in the morning, so I look at each new morning as a new chance to be happy all over again. Attitude.

• Like 1

If I may share this boring story...

I have a friend, a 60+ year old lawyer who is a member and past president of a golf club I used to work at. We were good friends.

Anyway, he was diagnosed with stage-4 lung cancer, and given no more than 2-years to live.

I ran into him at the golf club a few months later(he was gone for awhile) and he had this BIG smile on his face.

Thinking that somehow things turned-out for the best, I gently asked about his medical condition, saying "Chris, you seem so happy..."

He said, "No, (my name), nothing's changed, but I have lived a full life with few regrets"

I will never forget that beaming smile and those words to me.

• Like 3

Hearing Crusader's lifestory.

I was being smarmy.

Well, if I ever see you trapped in a flipped over car while I am driving down the highway, I will make sure I don't stop to help you. :yes:

If I may share this boring story...

I have a friend, a 60+ year old lawyer who is a member and past president of a golf club I used to work at. We were good friends.

Anyway, he was diagnosed with stage-4 lung cancer, and given no more than 2-years to live.

I ran into him at the golf club a few months later(he was gone for awhile) and he had this BIG smile on his face.

Thinking that somehow things turned-out for the best, I gently asked about his medical condition, saying "Chris, you seem so happy..."

He said, "No, (my name), nothing's changed, but I have lived a full life with few regrets"

I will never forget that beaming smile and those words to me.

Not boring but definitely inspiring
  • Like 1

My favorite saying: Any day above ground is a good day.

• Like 2

Yeah that's right up there with, if I'd known I was gonna live this long I would have taken better care of myself

• Like 1