Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How do I start a spiritual journey?

Koreyomg

I am 23 going on 24 and I live in PA. I feel like im too integrated in society and there are no options in this area to learn and express myself spiritually. I know of a place in arizona that has a spirit walk program where you can camp overnight and take peyote tea but it costs money to fly and take time off work plus its $300 fee.

I know that kids my age find ways to take trips and meet people and do all kinds of spiritual exploration in places like south america and across seas... But how can I go about that. I don't know any friends that I could go with or that live in that type of area and I don't want to go into it blindly

You talk of it like you are about to join in a travelers /hikers group :)

I think you should start from your heart. Where your heart thinks spirituality can be found? Ask yourself that.

I studied with zen monks for examples. There are some zen centers that can tell you how to meditate etc. You can listen to their teachers talking about the principles,too. They have some strict rules, you should be aware.:)They are cost free, you can donate if you wish though.

Since I dream a lot and I see signs of spirituality in dreams, some years ago I also joined in web groups studying dreams. they are again cost free.

I looked at the healing energies reiki etc and got messed up a bit with my kundalini on the way. I wouldnt try it on earth again if i have a choice on this :) this last area is not what i would recommend for a new comer but if your heart is feeling an urge to it why not.

Eventually I found out, spirituality cant not be understood while we are here and alive, you can just get the hints of it ,no matter how deeply you get involved. This, you can do also, in a nice friends gathering conversing about life too, without studying anything else. :) what matters is to live a good life here, if you are feeling your life is good no need to get involved. Alas, whose life is good enough though? :)

• Like 1

Spirituality can be discovered by going outside yourself and helping others (even animals) and keeping in mind that without certain things like the sun, our planet and even other people, our existence would not be possible.

No need to pray or worship or go on some esoteric journey. Just live your life and thank those who help you along the way.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 4

Learn to meditate, no drugs needed.

• Like 2

How do I start a spiritual journey?

You already did. And you already stopped to ask for directions.... that may well be your first mistake.

---but for fun-- Where is it you were going? What is it you are looking for?

If it's just some kind of "experience" you are wanting... by all means-- head to the "drugstore." If you don't know what it is you seek, then blindly is how you look.

Right first off I can assure you that paying out a lot of money to others to show you a spiritual path, will not address at all your own individual spiritual needs. Instead listen to your own spiritual inner dialog, your subconscious might repeatedly let you know that you have spiritual needs, and usually there are no trustworthy guides readily available 'out there' for a price. A very high price. You have already taken your first step, which was to want that spiritual journey but, this is always an individual sort of experience. You must first be clear about how you feel about your own spirituality as it already is with all of it's imperfections and then decide what it is that you seek for; and you alone are the one who has to walk down that path. Often the spiritual path that is just right will then begin to show itself and it is then a matter of 'follow your own nose' on that path. Don't necessarily trust others exclusively to be your guides.

All journeys are trial and error in many ways. Those lead to growth if you pay attention as you either learn something that works or, more often, another way not to go forward with. Of course it is usually best to take your bearing and do some planning or you may find yourself heading east to chase the sun.

I believe we all embark on a spiritual journey the moment we were born. Maybe thinking of it that way will open up the next step on your path and let you look back on your life and see it from a different perspective. Listen to your heart and trust your intuition.

A spiritual journey isn't a trip. It's just as the word journey states. It's a journey, you learn about the seperation between the body and spirit. At the moment there is a rift between our soul-self and our earthly identity. We are a Multi-dimensional spiritual being. Basically we exist in many dimensions at one time. The virtues of our souls are limited by spirit beings that we cannot percieve. With the right cultural belief structure up-bringing, a person can percieve these beings of influence. But that belief structure isn't easily found on earth. True you have practicers of meditation but their belief structure is based on a serpential agenda. They have many gods, the information given to their ancestors were by beings who imitated truth.

If we accept that their is a duality in life. It is plausible to accept that there is both a negative force feeding us falseness in attempt to lead us from light, truth, and the way and there is a positive force always leading us and re-uniting us wih

(I accidently hit post before I finished what I was saying; here is the rest.)

The Mountain of God

A spiritual journey isn't a trip. It's just as the word journey states. It's a journey, you learn about the seperation between the body and spirit. At the moment there is a rift between our soul-self and our earthly identity. We are a Multi-dimensional spiritual being. Basically we exist in many dimensions at one time. The virtues of our souls are limited by spirit beings that we cannot percieve. With the right cultural belief structure up-bringing, a person can percieve these beings of influence. But that belief structure isn't easily found on earth. True you have practicers of meditation but their belief structure is based on a serpential agenda. They have many gods, the information given to their ancestors were by beings who imitated truth.

If we accept that their is a duality in life. It is plausible to accept that there is both a negative force feeding us falseness in attempt to lead us from light, truth, and the way and there is a positive force always leading us and re-uniting us with itself.

We've grown up in a world over-run with falseness so we have lost our true identity. In order to find that true identity, we must learn to live by faith, understanding, forgiveness, patience, and other virtues. But to truly live by them you must become obedient to the master that gives them. At the moment the master of mankind is the prince of falsenss. They are obedient to lust, want, selfishness, envy, hatred, anger, rebeliousness. In order to lead people astray, even this falseness has to appear good in nature. People are suffering, they will look for the answer to their suffering in order to cure it. But in order to keep people docile, this falseness, needs to make people believe that they are happy, that they are safe. This falsenss, has come in the identity of a church that has given people a faith to follow in order to keep people from becoming asleep and unaware. The church's today are far-removed from what they weren't meant to be. It teaches us to be of a more earthly desciple of God. But God wants us to be a more spiritual desciple of God. Which means to leave the earth and to forget ourselves. The right way out is the opposite of how we became and who we are now.

No food, no sleep, no movement, no thinking. Only water if you must move in your months of training, no excess influence, instead of thinking and imagining, close your eyes and focus on a single point, allowing yourself to breathe. You will notice that all your thoughts, imaginations, and dreams are not your own. The core of this work must be to love and care for yourself above all things. Letting in no distractions. Once you have let go of yourself completely, all dreams, desires, and expecations, till you are one with God can you find your true purpose. Will power to avoid temptation and defeat desire is the key to strengthening your own light. The more you meditate, the wiser you will become because that door will be opened to you via what is called the Chakra or Flower.

Notice the flower, no matter where it is set, it is works peaceably, it's sole purpose is to work through the seasons to perfection of it's bloom. In this way it gives oxygen to all that breate it.

Like the sun in the sky the creator gives life so all that want it, must come to him. Though this life is given freely it is constantly obscured by darkness. This darkness which is the enemy of light, is also the tester of our strength. Because of our attachment to the falseness that has shadowed our world for so long leaving it in darkness though the sun be upon it, coming out of this darkness to truth and light and love which is God, can be as hard as getting closer to the sun. The heat from it melts away our flaws.

The Kingdom of God, is a kingdom of peace. If we are at war with ourselves, how can we point out the faults in others. At a point in your meditation, you will find, that all you ever were was hypocritical. For you may be angry with your brother (could be anyone if the stories are true), but your own falseness, was killing you and other people. For you followed this false image, which led you to sin without knowing, and as the wagers of sin are death, in order for God to keep you alive for his purpose someone or something had to die in your place. Even you had to die in your own place, for you are your own multi-verse, living out other lives. You are many different things all at once. A house, doors, windows, planet, star, universe. Think of your age, now think how many times you must have sinned, now remember that you are still alive, how many people or animals died so that you may live?

We influence each other without conscience or consciousness of how we do it. We even influence the weather.

We may want to go on a spiritual journey, but it can't be just any. For the Journey must be to the truth in it's purest form, to chase any other, may kill the desciple. It isn't any easy journey, it is as treturous as a mountain, as scary as walking in a wilderness at night without the ability to see, it can be as cold as a tundra, and as long, hot and desilate as a desert without an oasis, and as an ocean with a powerful undertow and not an island for miles and continuously storming. As hard as all this is to hear, it is for the perfection of your faith and the blossoming of your flowers and the loving of others selflessly. This is what we were meant to be. True spiritual Warriors of virtue seeking peace without ourselves through perils known and unknown that we may bring it to others who are lost on their own journey ( which are really part of our own selves.) We are all one and are meant to be one in the image of God in God. So think before you take this journey. Are you ready to die to the world and to yourself, (not by suicide of course.)

I hope that you choose this path, if you do be brave, patient, and faithful or you will get lost.

A word of warning:

There is a war for your soul, your enemy is looking for any reason to accuse before God. You must be conscious of all your choices. Look for the root of your choices whether they be in sync with God or the devil. You are but a choice, do you choose evil or rightiousness. Until you choose rightiousness, you will suffer. This is happening already, lest you blame me and say that I sent ill-will toward you.

Note to nothinglizx2........there is a war....for your soul ? ...LOL. I think it would be better to take along some inner reflection and just go on the spiritual journey without all that extra back breaking baggage along.

I am 23 going on 24 and I live in PA. I feel like im too integrated in society and there are no options in this area to learn and express myself spiritually. I know of a place in arizona that has a spirit walk program where you can camp overnight and take peyote tea but it costs money to fly and take time off work plus its $300 fee.

I know that kids my age find ways to take trips and meet people and do all kinds of spiritual exploration in places like south america and across seas... But how can I go about that. I don't know any friends that I could go with or that live in that type of area and I don't want to go into it blindly

In my experience spirituality shouldn't be taken as something to alienate yourself from the society, nor something that will be an excuse for solitude or solitary time.

First of all, it's not something physically done, you need to put a lot of thought about it and about the existence. It's not something "magical" or anything to that effect, nor should you follow any traditional paths (especially not in dogmatic rimocatholicism) otter than learning.

Bear in mind that religion, by itself, is not the answer for spirituality. It's the small light for you to find your call as both an individual and a sum of the whole. The most important factors which you should seek are peace (tranquility) and love (giving yourself). Learning is just a starting point, small but very important. Without the knowledge you can't protect yourself from bad influences which were placed in the human philosophies, the Bible etc. It is a lot of work, but what you should always feel/do is providing a compassion.

Self realisation is what it is all about, stand on your own 2 feet and smile, self confidence and independance of thought is all you are looking for, the rest follows naturally.

Be you own Guru, you don't need anyone to tell you what to believe or how to seek a spiritual path. I follow a Pagan Druid path. Nature is my God. I study the Earth, meditate, read and share with like minded people. If you really have to have a guide, start with Buddhism. I find the Dalia Lama is very inspiring and helpful. He tells people to be their own guru. He just one person who is helpful, there are many more, but I take them all with a grain of salt, though. You have to use some common sense, if a spiritual teacher (Guru) wants you to pay him, he is not true teacher. If someone tells you their's is the only true path, question their motives, that is non sense. There are many paths, there is no " one true" path. Some are good, some are not so good. Take the good and learn from the bad. Spirituality is a thinking exploration of life and the self, it is not something handed to you on a silver plater, it takes time and study.

• Like 3

I don't know I love nature and I am a Wizard. So that is my path.

But in the end each one of us much choose our own path.

• Like 1

Go out at night and walk by yourself (always supposing your neighbourhood is safe to do so) Listen to your inner voices and ask yourself the important questions you want answered. Think using various forms of your mind Logic emotion intuition etc Be one with your inner self as much as you can rather than thinking about your external environment Other options are to sit on a beach or in a forest if you can find one. But somewhere where you are alone without outside distractions. That is why night time worked best for me. Dark, quiet, and no one around. Walking stimulates the blood flow to the mind and helps you think better and more clearly. By all means read widely and study with others if you wish. But spiritual wisdom comes from within and if it is to truly mean something to you it must BE yours, not someone else's. Use a public library to borrow books. You don't need to spend any money at all to get true wisdom and in fact it kind of defeats the purpose if you have to. Also listen to others, on the topic and talk a lot. Discuss things and think things through Visit with any groups in your area but keep an open mind. You don't have to believe them, or join them, to learn things from them. ANd don't pay them money. In my experience anyone who asks for money in exchange for wisdom is not worth listening to.

Mate, if you wanna know what spirituality is I suggest you read david icke books. Spirituality is not just about sitting crossed legged in the corner, it is about understanding your world you live in. Crack open your egg shell of how the world have manipulated you.

• Like 1

David Icke is good he opened my mind to some things.

Then I learned from reading occult books.

Then i put the puzzle together....

now I am on an amazing magical and spiritual journey!

A spiritual journey begins with a single question and the first honest effort to find its answer.

What is it that you seek from life??

Mate, if you wanna know what spirituality is I suggest you read david icke books.

Right...and if you want to know about true, romantic love, i suggest you read Ron Jeremy's Autobiography.

Dude, sometimes when i read your posts, i wonder if you really ARE David Icke....

facepalm.gif

Coming to an internet forum and asking a bunch of strangers is the usual first step.

A meditation group is a good start - you will meet like minded individuals aka: souls who are also earnest about their spiritual journey. Through these new networks, retreats and weekend groups events will open up for you and you will have met new friends to share the experiences with.

Word to the wise, avoid anything costly - many church groups and local community centres will have yoga or meditation available for free or little cost, start there and avoid anything with huge advertising or that you feel is being sold to you to convert you.

When choosing a teacher or guru, also avoid anyone who believes they have a "special calling" or "gift" - these lead to downward spirals of the ego where they start to have you believing in them instead of your own journey.

You have already started it. Spiritual journeys start with questions. You are young you are going to go through a lot of changes. I think your head is in the right place. Experience and experiences is what will answer some questions and lead to many others. I think you should make that trip to Arizona, the "stripping away" is a worthwhile experience.

Some other advice.

1) read .... Lots. From Homeric epics to the bodi dharma to the bible to Carl Jung. Take some courses in theology and eastern spirituality. Take courses in philosophy, critical thinking, and logic. Knowledge will open up your path for you.

2) mediate in solitude. Learn to camp in the wilderness alone for at least a few days and work your way up to one to two weeks. Do it now whike you are young. After you get older it gets much harder.

3) do not allow other people's fear to influence you. Arizona will be a worthwhile experience.

4) above all else, you must be true to yourself.

Good luck :)

• Like 1