Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

extrimely unusual features on Mars

qxcontinuum

Enigmas on Mars are vivid then ever . Very unusual features on Mars ..what could be they? Extremely interesting is the fact their length is somewhere between 200 and 250 meters n...

77°50'43.33"N 65°51'59.74"W

ScreenShot2013-11-19at121057AM_zps036998c4.png

ScreenShot2013-11-19at121109AM_zps8d2016f5.png

Edited by qxcontinuum

I'm going to take a guess, prosaically, at some form of rock outcropping.

Given how common those features are on Mars, 'extremely unusual' isn't the phrase I'd use.

'Common' is the phrase I'd use.

I think they're sand dunes of some sort if I recall reading about them before.

Something like the following when seen up closer:

barchandunesmars.jpg

Or this:

2004.05.13.E0101728.gif

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 4

Jesse is right - lots more similar images here:

http://www.jpl.nasa....e Orbiter (MRO)

Start browsing thru all the images and you will see quite a few of these sand dune images - they look like little marauding pacmen. Lost of other fascinating things to speculate about in that collection, too..

Those blue things on Mars look artificial to me. They look like some sort of building, such as a spacecraft hanger.

Given how common those features are on Mars, 'extremely unusual' isn't the phrase I'd use.

barchandunesmars.jpg

Or this:

2004.05.13.E0101728.gif

barchandunesmars.jpg

Or this:

2004.05.13.E0101728.gif

Those blue things on Mars look artificial to me. They look like some sort of building, such as a spacecraft hanger.

Yea, well,...I believe that we could blame that one on pareidolia. Those are sand dunes. Here is one with the sun shining from another angle.

http://www.jpl.nasa....php?id=PIA17675

Doesnt look like a spacecraft hanger any more, does it? These are a particular type of dune called a "barchan," which forms when the wind blows in one direction (here, east to west) for long periods of time. Barchan dunes are common on Mars and in the desert regions of the Earth.

https://www.google.s...iw=1920&bih=978

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 3

Show is a picture of spacecrafts going in and out of the hanger, then we have a story about something unusual.

As of now, reckon we can atick with sand dunes.

• Like 1

Jesse , where do you find those close up photos usually?

2004.05.13.E0101728.gif

That is a lot of PacMan's

Edited by qxcontinuum

Jesse , where do you find those close up photos usually?

If you want to find stuff via Google Mars, use the bottom left panel for various goodness. You can see available (but I don't think exhaustive) images from various Mars missions from Viking up to Mars Reconnaisance Orbiter. The HiRISE images are the best but they've only mapped a very small fraction fhe planet and if you want to browse the original images, there's links provided to the source, but the images are freaking huge, like hundreds of megabytes in size and hundreds of megapixels in resolution. If you overlay the available HiRISE images, there's links to the page where you can download original images.

I've installed NASA's HiRISE for viewing and browsing them. You can drag and drop links onto it and move around and zoom in and out and it'll only download the data you want at the resolution you're currently viewing. Handy for digging around and zooming in and out of these huge images.

Switch on the Context (CTX) layer in the Global Maps options to see overlays from the CTX camera. It's nowhere near the resolution of the HiRISE camera but it has mapped most of the planet at decent detail. You can also download and view the original files from that camera but you need special software as it's in a special format designed for astronomical data.

Try experimenting.

some more great 'stuff....On our planet :tu:

Camel Caravan,Mauratania

STNMTZ_19970401_10C_EPSON3800_IGSPP.jpg

Paracus national Park, Peru

STNMTZ_19990601_04_EPSON3800_IGSPP.jpg

Dot formed barchan dunes, Yemen

STNMTZ_20040201_21-1.jpg

More images

http://www.anastasia-photo.com/artist.php?artist=george-steinmetz

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

see? you don't need aliens to know that nature is remarkable

and thats just the thing isnt it? We get the amateur investigators who find images - and wonder why NASA isnt get excited about them.

Its just because they have experts at NASA who KNOW what they are seeing is natural

• Like 2

and thats just the thing isnt it? We get the amateur investigators who find images - and wonder why NASA isnt get excited about them.

Its just because they have experts at NASA who KNOW what they are seeing is natural

I bet there ARE geologists at NASA who get excited about finding new features on Mars.

But the SOP for some people is to simply see something they find interesting and immediately decide, without bothering to check, that it's mysterious, anomalous, weird, etc. and that it hasn't or can't be explained or that NASA are refusing to investigate this amazing find and thus there are cover-ups going on, etc.

• Like 2

some more great 'stuff....On our planet :tu:

Dot formed barchan dunes, Yemen

STNMTZ_20040201_21-1.jpg

This one's particularly a beaut because it perfectly demonstrates the concave/convex illusion discussed elsewhere, only in reverse.

• Like 1