Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Gate to Hell' Guardians Recovered in Turkey

seeder

'Gate to Hell' Guardians Recovered in Turkey

Archaeologists digging in Turkey have found the guardians of the "Gate to Hell" -- two unique marble statues which once warned of a deadly cave in the ancient Phrygian city of Hierapolis, near Pamukkale.

Known as Pluto's Gate -- Ploutonion in Greek, Plutonium in Latin -- the cave was celebrated as the portal to the underworld in Greco-Roman mythology and tradition. It was discovered in March by a team led by Francesco D'Andria, professor of classic archaeology at the University of Salento.

http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/gate-to-hell-statues-recovered-in-turkey-131118.htm

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• LimeGelatin

• ancient astronaut

• seeder

No one guards the gates of hell... You are all welcome to go there... And, I feel... The sooner some of you get there the better... Me, personally, I'm trying to get to heaven... The perfect heaven, the one that allows all people of faith to enter... -I know that I know it will be a perfect place...

How do you know nobody guards the gates of hell? They guard a pothole with enough Health and Safety tape and cones and barriers to handle a riot at a Bon Jovi gig, so who said that the gates of hell are not similarly guarded? It won't be the folk in hell guarding it, it will be those who do not want you to go in there!

The only reason my gate's guarded is to keep out Oprah, Nancy Pelosi and Donald Trump. I don't care where they think they have reservations for. They can have their damn contracts back.

Did anyone else notice how they were lifting the statue out of the water in the slideshow? That was ridiculous. They sure are putting a lot of faith in the integrity of the statue as well as the integrity of the strap being used.

Dang it! They found me! Just try to get out all 3 of my heads will devour them and poop em back to hell.

Edited by cerberusxp