Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neolithic carpenters in East Germany

jmccr8

I forgot about PLOS one.

There are "wet sites" in Florida now showing some serious Archaic woodworking skill. But most doesn't survive so all we knew was the lithic technology. Of course the lithic "tool kit" of Archaic cultures is fairly large so I would imagine that stone age people were good carvers and woodworkers.

Nice find!

Cool j, this shows that some wood building and joining techniques go wayyyyyy back.

I always wondered if some of us might have gone through a more extensive Wood building phase than realized, before building with Stone. Wood Henge preceded Stone Henge.

Cool j, this shows that some wood building and joining techniques go wayyyyyy back.

I always wondered if some of us might have gone through a more extensive Wood building phase than realized, before building with Stone. Wood Henge preceded Stone Henge.

I think so. But organic materials don't keep well. I saw some woodwork collected by Swedish settlers from my tribe in the 1630s and it was some seriously good stuff. It went down hill after that though. The stuff from the 1800s looks "unfinished" and there was a lot less care and detail in it's making.

• Like 1

I think so. But organic materials don't keep well. I saw some woodwork collected by Swedish settlers from my tribe in the 1630s and it was some seriously good stuff. It went down hill after that though. The stuff from the 1800s looks "unfinished" and there was a lot less care and detail in it's making.

I'd like to see some of that. What sort of woodwork were they making ?

I'd like to see some of that. What sort of woodwork were they making ?

Some presentation war clubs that are now housed in Skokloster Castle in Sweden. I don't think there are any pics online. But you'll find pictures in the Bulletin of the Archaeology Society of New Jersey, No.50 and both books on the Lenape written by Herb Kraft.

Thanks Piney, I found these pics online... I don't know much, i was just curious what sorts of things they were making.

I did notice bark houses similar to ones they used to use around here... (Michigan)

http://www.woodlandi...collection.html

post-86645-0-65564900-1385084512_thumb.j

post-86645-0-81685500-1385084527_thumb.j

Thanks Piney, I found these pics online... I don't know much, i was just curious what sorts of things they were making.

I did notice bark houses similar to ones they used to use around here... (Michigan)

http://www.woodlandi...collection.html

post-86645-0-65564900-1385084512_thumb.j

post-86645-0-81685500-1385084527_thumb.j

The Nishnabs (Ojibway) in Michigan are probably our "parent" population. The Nanticoke and other Southeastern and Central Algonquian languages are closer related to Ojibway than Northeastern Algonquian. The archaeological record points to a migration from that area, down into the Ohio Valley then to the Chesapeake and Delaware Bay area, then down to the Carolinas. Linguistic evidence points to the same.

• Like 1

Hi,

I found a couple of more articles on Neolithic wood structures.one is from England and the other is from Orkney,they are quite different in construction style.

Four Neolithic houses unearthed at quarry - Archaeology News from Past Horizons : Archaeology News from Past Horizons

Stone Pages Archaeo News: Mystery Neolithic wooden structures in Orkney

I also found another article on Neolithic structures in the Levant dating to 9000-9500bc they are mud brick with a plaster coating

Neolithic Period -- Ancient History Encyclopedia

jmccr8

• Like 2