Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Insect eating creeps on to Paris menus

Still Waters

Scorpions and grasshoppers can now be found on the menus of upscale French restaurants, just as those concerned about the world's increasing demand for protein are looking to insects as one solution.

Of course, the French would use a fancy word - entomophagy - when it's insect-eating to you and me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-24912602

Why doesn't this surprise me?

As my ol' Gran'pappy used to say....."The French?...They'll drink anything that be brewed in a bucked, and eat anything that can't crawl out of one!"

• Like 1

Actually, it was in France when I have tried insects for the first time. It was a bit more than 10 years ago and I had chocolate covered locusts, which were quite nice! Over the years, I have tried many different insect foods, mainly in Asia, and I have to say that most taste alright, with some being on the tasty side. Of course, as always, how they are prepared matters a lot.

IMO French Gastronomy is very tedious, over complicated, and presented in some form of grey, stewed, sauce.

French Cuisine is very boring, over-rated, and quite frankly only just slightly an improvement on Finnish Cuisine (I am in Toulouse as I write... Godaweful food). I spent 200 euros for a meal yesterday at a 2 star Michelin Restaurant, to get Cassoulet (bean stew), Creme Broulee (give me apple pie and custard instead), and a bottle of disgusting French Bordeaux.

NEVER AGAIN, but I was with a client who picked up the tab. Your average Pub Grub in the UK (or benidorm) has much more flavour and texture, married with a good English wine and that is heaven for me....

• Like 1

man i totally hate on culinary nationalism. there's lots of good french food, just like there's lots of good german and english food and so on. yeah, the french are too prideful maybe, but whatever.

i would eat the heck out some bugs, anyway.