Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monster Survival Guide

Q-C

Anyone catch Monster Survival Guide on Nat Geo?

One commenter described it as “Bear Grylls meets The Walking Dead”.

It has fictionalized Brit cryptozoologist, Campbell Macabre, and his team traveling around in a BB Winnebago fighting monsters.

The only one I’ve seen was about how to deal with Zombies. We are treated to facts along the way such as

The Four stages of Zombies:

Stage One: the Beserker- new to the undead with a lot of strength

Stage Two: the Shuffler- rigor mortis has set in

Stage Three: The Crawler- nuff said

Stage Four: The Biter- basically all that is working is his jaws

Campbell and his sidekick scientist then reveal the phases of dealing with Zombies.

When a Zombie body is recovered it is opened up and vinegar poured on it to kill the fungus and then they spew it out their Winnebago’s body shredder or liquefier and blow up the head in their microwave.

What other cryptids he will encounter in this mockumentary series, I don’t know. The second half was titled "The Whale that Ate Jaws", but I haven't watched it.

I’m hoping to see him capture a Bigfoot. Lay to rest all the “how to” arguments. :gun::no:

And yes, NG actually describes it as a mockumentary. How many will take it seriously though is anyone’s guess.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I remember when National Geographic Society was an intellectual bastion to be admired. Sad.

• Like 3

I remember when National Geographic Society was an intellectual bastion to be admired. Sad.

I remember when a lot of things were different. Sad indeed.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Which goes to show ratings rule.

I remember when a lot of things were different. Sad indeed.

Well, yes, in many ways the "good old days" were wonderful. I wonder if that's because I was younger and healthier then and my wife was alive.

I actually started watching this and quickly realized it was nothing but a comedy satire. I went to bed.

Well, yes, in many ways the "good old days" were wonderful. I wonder if that's because I was younger and healthier then and my wife was alive.

I know what you mean, life sucks and swallows at times.

• Like 1

I actually started watching this and quickly realized it was nothing but a comedy satire. I went to bed.

Yes, it's a mockumentary, totally fictionalized as I stated in my OP. But that has never stopped believers from believing them.

Apparently NatGeo is finding the money is in comedies not documentaries.

Or, many of these channels, as it appears to me, are now all owned by the same company who doesn't give a rat's backside about educating anyone anymore.

Edited by QuiteContrary

It's really sad too. Natgeo used to be a top drawer channel too. But the ratings Gods will not be ignored and the death nell of educational things comes with the advent of the Zombie Apocalypse.

• Like 1

Why not just watch the Walking Dead? Much more entertaining IMO.

The show did one Zombie episode on how to "defeat" them. Zombies are not the show's focus. They will be doing different cryptids each episode.

The show was gross and bloody and fairly entertaining and funny, imo.

I look forward to a bigfoot episode. After all, it is basically what we do here. Mock the infamous bigfoot/cryptid hunters.

This actually sounds kind of cool, in an "purely-for-entertainment-and-not-actual-facts" kind of way. I think it would be cool if someone made a mockumentary or a fictional book filled with creative monsters, information about them, and how to kill them.

Of course, there's bound to be some people who will take it seriously.