Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Conservatives overestimate support

questionmark

NEW YORK, Nov. 20 (UPI) -- Liberals tend to underestimate how many people share their ideology, while conservatives tend to overestimate those who agree with them, U.S. researchers say.

Lead author Chadly Stern, a doctoral student at New York University's Department of Psychology; Tessa West, an assistant professor; and Peter Schmitt, an undergraduate student, recruited almost 300 hundred participants to complete an online survey.

The participants read political statements such as "In general, I support labor unions" and non-political statements such as "I enjoy coffee" and were asked to indicate whether they agreed or disagreed with each statement.

So this article is saying that liberals are a bunch of followers, while conservatives & moderates tend to be more free-thinking. I agree, although I don't follow any specific ideology. UPI is a very biased news source, as are most. Instead of reading what you want to hear, try reading many different sources and forming your own conclusions.

People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.

-Helen Keller

I'm pretty sure this is the exact opposit of true :w00t:

you just have to follow the election debates on these pages: Reps generally overestimate the turnout in their favor, Dems are generally afraid that they will loose.

you just have to follow the election debates on these pages: Reps generally overestimate the turnout in their favor, Dems are generally afraid that they will loose.

I was just demonstrating how delusional I am qm.

"The study found liberals showed what the researchers call "truly false uniqueness," perceiving their beliefs as more divergent from the beliefs of other liberals than they actually were."

I've noticed this trend among liberals, atheists and hippies. That's why you hear them whine "Nobody understands me and they never will". Maybe if they would focus more on what they have in common with others they'd be happier in general.

• Like 1