Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Getting Rid of the Filibuster?

and-then

It's not just an idiot play, it is a bad government play. Now Presidents are not forced to find candidates suitable to at least some of the minority party. I cannot see this as good.

• Like 1

Senator Ted Cruz and Senator Mike Lee were correct. ObamaCare is causing harm to the American people.

Over 5 Million Americans are currently in Health Care Insurance Limbo.

- Seek The Truth -

Don't be afraid to admit that you were wrong about the Tea Party.

There is a VERY GOOD REASON why Senator Ted Cruz was greeted with roaring applause and an 8 minute standing when he returned to Texas. :yes:

He went to Washington D.C. to represent the concerns of his constituents. He made hundreds of enemies in Washington D.C. but more

importantly he made millions of friends across America.

The American people are looking for someone who will stand up to a very Lllaggressive and disrespectful liberal opposition that is standing

out there with bare knuckles winding up at us every chance that they get.

We shouldn't worry about the five million with out insurance. We should be thankful that 150,000 that have or are. Thinking of signing up for obamacare. Now all we need is a carpet large enough to hide five million people under.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 2

No, it's called the Nuclear Option.

I'm thinking in about 3 years the GOP / Tea Party will put it all back the way it was and - Restore America -.

Soon all of these Secular Progressive Shenanigans will be in our rear view mirror.

The Tea Party thinks 10 Years ahead, not 10 Minutes ahead.

Not so long as we insist on continuing to vote for people like Michelle Bachman, or John McCain, ect ect ect. And not so long as we allow the party to demonize people like Rand Paul, or Ted Cruz.

• Like 2

Not so long as we insist on continuing to vote for people like Michelle Bachman, or John McCain, ect ect ect. And not so long as we allow the party to demonize people like Rand Paul, or Ted Cruz.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the demonizing of Mssrs Paul and Cruz is mostly done by themselves.
  • Like 1

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the demonizing of Mssrs Paul and Cruz is mostly done by themselves.

Yea right. Most people disaprove of the government cause of nearly everything these men stand against. It takes some serious manipulation to get people to believe that these men are working against their best interests.

Edited by preacherman76

So, preserving the sequester (supposedly) is looking ten years into the future?

Exactly how is it that making impossible demands and then caving on those demands within three weeks taking the long view?

The long view would have been to sit back and watch the Democrats destroy themselves - exactly what the rest of the Republicans were trying to do.

The Tea Party merely provided the Administration with a handy distraction - an opportunity to demonize the Republicans while simultaneously allowing the real story to simmer on the back burner until, thankfully, the Tea Party caved.

When your opponent is beating himself in the face with a hammer, it is not the time to begin the same process yourself.

Harte

We like the Sequester. The U.S. Federal Budget Deficit is falling.

Now we want Sequester 2.0.

Let's cut 3% more and see what happens.

--------

Recent polls show that IF Obama would have told the truth about millions of Americans losing their doctors and insurance,

we would have President Mitt Romney in the White House.

The political calculation was made to just go ahead and lie. Then deal with the fallout later.

Fallout = Obama Approval Rating Falling to 37%

When the Republicans do take control of the Senate again. And there can be no doubt that it will happen again. We will definately see this used to Full Effect. Obamacare will just be one of dozens of items that will be on the chopping block.

This was a for sure Idiot Play by the democrats... Even just thinking into 2014.

Democrats look like hypocrites and Obama is the Lying Liar in Chief.

- If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. -

Now that the election is over, we are all forced to read the fine print.

• Like 1

I have to agree iwth this. I hope the Dems don't turn into lamenting babies once this rule is used against them in the furture. Y

It's never been used this way in the history of the United States. 190 some but 86 during the Obama administration.

Actually, no.

The GOP / Tea Party has control of the House of Representatives.

The House has the power of the purse.

Harry Reid and his gang of losers are just swinging wildly. They know their time is short.

the reality of employee insurance being lost will take another year...but the elections will ALL be about that. If the Republicans are swept into the Senate...we can kill Obama care easily. We send the death bill to Yomama and he vetoes it...then...we don't fund ANY of it. Kill it that way...but kill it. Thank you Democrats for opening that door for us to kill Yomamacare.

• Like 2

the reality of employee insurance being lost will take another year...but the elections will ALL be about that. If the Republicans are swept into the Senate...we can kill Obama care easily. We send the death bill to Yomama and he vetoes it...then...we don't fund ANY of it. Kill it that way...but kill it. Thank you Democrats for opening that door for us to kill Yomamacare.

It looks like ObamaCare is killing itself. Nobody wants it.

- Sticker Shock -

- No Security on the website that doesn't work : Identity Theft

- Americans will NOT be able to keep their doctor

- Gov. Sarah Palin was right. It's a lot worse than just a dead website HealthCare.gov.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG1v1sghSeA[/media]

BTW, the insurance companies are required to send out Employer Health Plan Insurance notifications 90 days before

they kill it. That means at around September 2014 there will be MILLIONS of angry voters ready to race to the

voting booths!

The democrats are doomed on November Election Day 2014. :yes:

Edited by CyberKen

It's never been used this way in the history of the United States. 190 some but 86 during the Obama administration.

No one has been stopped by a filibuster. The appointments have all gone through. But, by doing this the dems have removed the only voice the minortpity has to voice an opinion. Further, it takes a position that according to the constitution takes a super majority and makes it pass with a simple majority.

• Like 3

No one has been stopped by a filibuster. The appointments have all gone through. But, by doing this the dems have removed the only voice the minortpity has to voice an opinion. Further, it takes a position that according to the constitution takes a super majority and makes it pass with a simple majority.

Exactly! Now, the minority party has no voice. This was wrong when the republicans tried to do it, and it's wrong when the democrats do it. But, Obama is a petulant child who always has to have his way..... I know Clinton was a moron, but at least he tried to work with the Republicans. Obama doesn't.

I think a lot of this has to do with Rand Paul wanting to edit the Federal Reserve before approving Janet Yellens appointment. And with 75% of Americans approving that.....Yeah, they didn't want that.....

And you would be wrong. Again. But worse there is no section of the constitution that says there can be a filibuster of presidential appointments or 60 votes (except in a few cases)

I think Ninjadude has it right as far as the constitution goes, but is wrong as usual as far as what is good for the States goes.

• Like 1

- Sticker Shock -

- Gov. Sarah Palin was right. It's a lot worse than just a dead website HealthCare.gov.

Please stop with this nonsense. It is not "killing itself". The vast majority of uninsured want it. Prices are higher for a very narrow percentage (less that 1 percent). The website works fine - even Bonener got signed up. This has no effect on 90% of Americans who already have insurance - regardless of doom and gloom erroneous Gopper predictions.. PPO doctor plans are the norm in health insurance. Most doctors are members. NO ONE CARES what the idiot half term quitter former hack governor of Alaska thinks.

I think Ninjadude has it right as far as the constitution goes, but is wrong as usual as far as what is good for the States goes.

so 165 times a filibuster has been used to stop presidential appointments in the history of the US. And 89 of those in the Obama administration. It's been being abused for appointments by the Republicans. All this does is restore the rule of the majority to presidential appointments so that we can at least have a functioning government.

so 165 times a filibuster has been used to stop presidential appointments in the history of the US. And 89 of those in the Obama administration. It's been being abused for appointments by the Republicans. All this does is restore the rule of the majority to presidential appointments so that we can at least have a functioning government.

I tend to take this to mean Obama has not been consulting with any Republicans about his appointments and is instead acting like a Sovereign Prince often naming extremists unacceptable to the minority.
  • Like 3

Posted Today, 01:13 PM

snapback.pngjoc, on 23 November 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

- Sticker Shock -

It isn't going to kill itself. If we don't kill it soon...it will spread like the cancer it is. It will NOT die on the vine.

• Like 1

When the GOP / Tea Party retakes the U.S. Senate November 2014, then we can beat Minority Leader Harry Reid over the head with

his own changes.

Good Luck with that

I tend to take this to mean Obama has not been consulting with any Republicans about his appointments and is instead acting like a Sovereign Prince often naming extremists unacceptable to the minority.

Indeed. No doubt probably non of his appointments are republicans. We are talking about nearly half the senate here. People elected to represent nearly half or more of the population. This is supposed to be a democracy. It is not.

completely disregarding Obama care is and will be, there is a fundamental problem with silencing half the country to advance an agenda. Obama and dems never wanted compromise , they wanted power. I used to balk a little bit at the demonizing of Obama. I considered the warnings that he was making some sort of massive power grab a little to much. I was wrong. Those warnings were right. I never thought they would do something like this and claim the entire other half is being unreasonable. Those senators represent their constituents, they are the voice of the people. They just alienated all the moderates. I'm not even thrilled about the power it will give the republicans once the backlash occurs. It's ridiculous and a sign that the two party system is breaking down and dysfunctional. Everyone vote for a libertarian government and watch how things change. ;)

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 3

What president has ever nominated anyone from the other party for anything. The obstructionism of the republicans has reached outrageous levels. More nominees have been blocked in this administration than in US history. It is madness. But I think this is a mistake.

What president has ever nominated anyone from the other party for anything. The obstructionism of the republicans has reached outrageous levels. More nominees have been blocked in this administration than in US history. It is madness. But I think this is a mistake.

I'm not sure. But the minority has no choice but to use everything it can I the face of a wall of righteousness. Don't be surprised if this were not the original goal of the GOP to show how willing the other side is to simply take and throw its weight around.

• Like 1

Both sides always throw their weight around when in office. Look up the stats of blocked nominees. Never has a minority party acted in this fashion.

In history before Obama 68 nominees have been blocked by filibuster. Since Obama 79.

This is outrageous

Edited by spacecowboy342

Both sides always throw their weight around when in office. Look up the stats of blocked nominees. Never has a minority party acted in this fashion.

In history before Obama 68 nominees have been blocked by filibuster. Since Obama 79.

This is outrageous

Possibly, but never before has any president acted so willfully in pursuing his way in office. From day one this jerk basically said "I won" and rammed through everything he wanted to do without any attempt at governing across party lines - he never even attempted it. Small wonder the ego's of the rest were roused into a fighting mood.
  • Like 2

And now those 75 times when it was used previously, and righteously, will not happen again?

The Democrats don't like how the hammer was being used so they threw it out of the toolbox and it can't be used ever again? The 'nails' of the Senate are useless now. Let's completely remove compromise from politics? Stupidness. Obviously the art of talking to the opposition has vanished from both camps and the only options being used are the same ones used by screaming toddlers.

I hope they understand what they did when it turns on them.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2