Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iowa parents defend bullying of autistic teen

Keel M.

There's absolutely nothing I can say that wouldn't get me banned from this site.

A 13-year-old autistic boy has been punched, teased and had his condition mocked in online videos by his peers. But the parents of the accused children say they were justified in bullying the Iowa teen.

On Monday, WhoTV.com ran a story about how the classmates of Levi Null had posted a video online showing Null suffering from symptoms of Asperger syndrome, a form of autism. In the video, classmates taunt Null, and teachers in the classroom appear to turn a blind eye to the behavior.

However, the station says that after airing the story, it actually received more than 100 emails from parents, shockingly with many of them defending the bullying at Melcher-Dallas High School, saying the child brings it on himself.

“I would say three-fourths of this stuff he brings on himself and probably a fourth of it is bullying that shouldn’t be going on,” said Levi Weatherly, father of the teen accused of posting the video online.

Full story

• Like 2

*just an endless string of obscenities*

Edited by patagonianhorsesnake
  • Like 3

Some people are too stupid to be allowed to share oxygen with everyone else.

This isn't bullying, they brought it on themselves.

• Like 1

Children can be very cruel sometimes, but is up to the adults to teach them otherwise and put a stop to it if they know its going on.

If the lad is attracting the bullies because of his condition, it may be best to take him out of that school...........unless the head of the school brings in very strict measures to prevent it happening full stop in the future, but not sure if this is always possible.

• Like 4

I went to high school with a kid who had MS. He was quite aware of the fact that he got special treatment, and he abused it. He was rude, mean, and foul-mouthed. Just because he was born with a disability or disease didn't make him a saint. Frankly, he was a jerk.

• Like 2

I went to high school with a kid who had MS. He was quite aware of the fact that he got special treatment, and he abused it. He was rude, mean, and foul-mouthed. Just because he was born with a disability or disease didn't make him a saint. Frankly, he was a jerk.

Gee I wonder why...

• Like 3

This is the reason i said the parents should take the child out of the school.

but bullying is totes ok if you think that person is weird or annoying amirite guys

*all the curse words*

• Like 2

A physical disability is not comparable to a mental disability. MS doesn't disrupt the faculties of the brain.

I went to school with someone who had muscle dystrophy and I think cerebral palsy, and he was a jerk. Guess what, I and the rest of my class didn't blame him. I'd probably be more bitter if I had to motor around in a wheelchair my whole life, watching every one of my peers participate in things I never could. Frustration probably doesn't begin to describe it. Whereas he abused his ability to get 'special treatment', I'm sure you've abused the ability to walk pain free.

• Like 5

I don't know if you have ever spent time with people who have aspbergers but they can be absolutely cruel cocksuckers. Sociopaths in the truest sense of the word. That in no way excuses the children's behavior, it unfortunately probably does explain the teachers behavior though. This sounds like a fail on the part of everyone involved.

• Like 2

I don't know if you have ever spent time with people who have aspbergers but they can be absolutely cruel cocksuckers. Sociopaths in the truest sense of the word. That in no way excuses the children's behavior, it unfortunately probably does explain the teachers behavior though. This sounds like a fail on the part of everyone involved.

Yeah, it's a consequence of the condition.

Children can be very cruel sometimes, but is up to the adults to teach them otherwise and put a stop to it if they know its going on.

If the lad is attracting the bullies because of his condition, it may be best to take him out of that school...........unless the head of the school brings in very strict measures to prevent it happening full stop in the future, but not sure if this is always possible.

Not picking on you FTR, but I think that is a terrible idea. Does everyone already forget Adam Lanza? Take him out of the environment, and just wait for him to snap eventually?

I think a better suggestion is education for everyone around.... Bully, bullied, parents, teachers, and especially those dunce administrators.

Or we can all wail and ask "what happened" when the kid has a mental breakdown and shoots up a crowd.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's a consequence of the condition.

Not picking on you FTR, but I think that is a terrible idea. Does everyone already forget Adam Lanza? Take him out of the environment, and just wait for him to snap eventually?

I think a better suggestion is education for everyone around.... Bully, bullied, parents, teachers, and especially those dunce administrators.

Or we can all wail and ask "what happened" when the kid has a mental breakdown and shoots up a crowd.

I am not sure that keeping someone like Lanza in school would have made much of a difference to his mentality. I think his behaviour in AND out of school should have been looked at more closely.

BY NO MEANS WHAT SOEVER do I agree with bullying, but it would be interesting to see how this childs behaviour is outside school too, if you think that by keeping a child with "special issues" out of a school environment could turn him into a Lanza, then I would take it one step further and say ALL aspects of his life have to be looked after and carefully watched.

• Like 1

hmmm.....Texas. Nuff said.

wow...just noticed from farmer77's post cocksuckers is not censored.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

I'm sure you've abused the ability to walk pain free.

I'm sure your deep thoughts impress all the college girls, but seriously, what is this even supposed to mean?

From my experience, people with Aspergers don't have much truck with any of the "polite little lies" we tell each other, and will bluntly tell you what they think, that's a consequence of their disorder.

They also don't exactly have a "subtle" setting, they have a default reaction which makes them feel safe or in control and that's where they go first. I've seen kids with Aspergers run out of rooms when they're told "no you can't do that now, we're doing something else" because their default reaction to stress is "flee". One kid I work with shouts, she's really really loud, so when it's too noisy she'll bellow "SHUT UP", she's actually louder then I am and I used to be a drill master.

• Like 4

I kind of wonder if i am on the aspergers spectrum. I will admit i acted like an idiot sometimes. I could have got in it with people if I wasn't the biggest guy in my class. I know i did annoying crap and was very childish.

I also know with my friends son that it would be a challenge for kids if they don't know about it. He will just get upset real quick and shout don't make that noise if you do something that isn't what he likes. I understand the sensory thing because it has been described to me. But if you were a kid another kid just shouting at you is probably going to cause problems.

The parents reactions to this is ****ed up to say the least.

Hard situation because if you don't know whats up you are not going to accept the special treatment of the kid. Also there are times where the kid may take advantage of it.

I am not sure that keeping someone like Lanza in school would have made much of a difference to his mentality. I think his behaviour in AND out of school should have been looked at more closely.

BY NO MEANS WHAT SOEVER do I agree with bullying, but it would be interesting to see how this childs behaviour is outside school too, if you think that by keeping a child with "special issues" out of a school environment could turn him into a Lanza, then I would take it one step further and say ALL aspects of his life have to be looked after and carefully watched.

My point is locking him up, away from everyone, isn't going to solve this issue, and that it may lead to a bigger issue (like a mass shooting). This is a perfect opportunity for everyone involved to become educated on tolerance of one another's disabilities, quirks, etc.

I'm sure your deep thoughts impress all the college girls, but seriously, what is this even supposed to mean?

Good, I'm glad the little shot made you feel somewhat offended. Maybe you'll consider the other side when you want to sound condescending towards someone, especially one struggling with a crippling disability like MS.

To spell it out for you; I just took your attitude of being condescending towards someone because they abused their "special treatment", and applied it to how you take for granted the ability to walk pain free.... because those with MS don't have the luxury of walking pain free all of the time, hence why I and most others would give the kid a pass for being a jerk.

My point is locking him up, away from everyone, isn't going to solve this issue, and that it may lead to a bigger issue (like a mass shooting). This is a perfect opportunity for everyone involved to become educated on tolerance of one another's disabilities, quirks, etc.

Jeeze, locking him away? I would imagine locking any child away with or without autism would cause some serious mental damage.

Its not that easy to educate other children about another childs behaviour when it appears disruptive, adults yes, children..no.

Jeeze, locking him away? I would imagine locking any child away with or without autism would cause some serious mental damage.

Its not that easy to educate other children about another childs behaviour when it appears disruptive, adults yes, children..no.

Ok, I apologize for using a figure of speech. "Locking him up" was a figurative term for removing him and keeping him from his peers.

I also disagree with the above in bold. Teaching a child is much easier than teaching an adult.

Ok, I apologize for using a figure of speech. "Locking him up" was a figurative term for removing him and keeping him from his peers.

I also disagree with the above in bold. Teaching a child is much easier than teaching an adult.

Teaching a group of children that they need to understand why one child is behaving in a disruptive manner and it is "normal for them" is not that easy....especially if they are told to behave themselves and for them its not right to do or normal.

you'll never tech kids that.

kids with special needs need to be with other kids with special needs in places that cater to their special needs. if they are not, we see what happens.

kids witn no SN will almost never accept kids with SN as their peers and will almost always do things like that.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

you'll never tech kids that.

kids with special needs need to be with other kids with special needs in places that cater to their special needs. if they are not, we see what happens.

Exactly.

Teaching a group of children that they need to understand why one child is behaving in a disruptive manner and it is "normal for them" is not that easy....especially if they are told to behave themselves and for them its not right to do or normal.

What? People have been using other people's kid's bad behavior as an example of what not to do for, I don't know, probably as long as we have starting formally educating the masses. Having special needs, especially someone with high functioning autism, is nothing more than a social disorder. I never said that they shouldn't be reprimanded. I am against bullying them though.

Didn't take but a few minutes to explain to my niece that her new friend was sometimes rude or wouldn't talk, but that doesn't give her permission to act the same way. (Autistic friend)

Also wasn't a problem disciplining her for something her and her friend did, although the parents of the other one didn't do anything to discipline their child. (this kid wasn't special needs, unless having a terrible parent is special needs)

Good, I'm glad the little shot made you feel somewhat offended. Maybe you'll consider the other side when you want to sound condescending towards someone, especially one struggling with a crippling disability like MS.

To spell it out for you; I just took your attitude of being condescending towards someone because they abused their "special treatment", and applied it to how you take for granted the ability to walk pain free.... because those with MS don't have the luxury of walking pain free all of the time, hence why I and most others would give the kid a pass for being a jerk.

Believe me, you couldn't offend me if you tried. You can take your sanctimony and your holier-than-thou attitude and apply it elsewhere. All I did was call a spade a spade. The kid I mention is probably dead, so he doesn't need you sticking up for him.