Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Indigenous Americans have European Genes

OverSword

DNA Testing shows that American Indians could be from europe, or at least partially.

From the article:

DNA extracted from a young boy who died 24,000 years ago could prove that the first Native Americans were European.

The genome of the four-year-old boy, who died in south-central Siberia, is the oldest sequenced to date.

It provides an insight into origins of Native Americans whose ancestors are believed to have travelled across Siberia into the Americas during the Ice Age.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2511172/Native-Americans-come-Europe-reveals-DNA-testing-skeleton.html

And while posting this I remembered Kennewick man, a skeleton discovered in Washington state that facial reconstruction showed looked a bit like Patrick Stewart.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Kennewick_Man

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

Certain Algonquians and Siouians have "Eurasian" (actually Finno-Urgic) traits found among Finn and Lapp populations. One trait is found among the Basques. These have also been attributed to a Solutrean Migration across the Atlantic, which I was on the fence about. But I think a group of Proto-Finno-Urgic people did join the mix while we were still in Siberia and that they are also the ancestors of the Ainu in Japan.

Finno-Urgic people are still found all the way "across the board" from Europe to the edge of Siberia.

• Like 3

Certain Algonquians and Siouians have "Eurasian" (actually Finno-Urgic) traits found among Finn and Lapp populations. One trait is found among the Basques. These have also been attributed to a Solutrean Migration across the Atlantic, which I was on the fence about. But I think a group of Proto-Finno-Urgic people did join the mix while we were still in Siberia and that they are also the ancestors of the Ainu in Japan.

Finno-Urgic people are still found all the way "across the board" from Europe to the edge of Siberia.

Hi Piney. that's interesting, but from my own semi-factual or circumstantial beliefs about the unknown history of the world not too surprising. What traits are you refering to?

Another link about this fascinating discovery that may, or may not, hint that across the Northen hemisphere, and particulary the Northern part, we may all be Siberians :whistle:

http://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/features/international-spotlight-on-siberia-as-scientists-unlock-secrets-from-worlds-oldest-boy-and-girl/

Edited by Kaa-Tzik

• 7 months later...

they are also the ancestors of the Ainu in Japan.

No they're not!

The Ainu people are the descendants of the Out of Africa Coastal Migration which travelled along the coastline until they eventually reached Japan (Modern Day).

The Ainu are more closely related, genetically, to the people of the Andaman Islands.

From the article title: "Native Americans could be partly descended from EUROPEANS"

Sure, I guess, if you consider Lake Baikal, in Siberia, part of Europe. /shrug

From the article; "‘Who would have thought that present-day Native Americans, who we learned in school derive from East Asians, share recent evolutionary history with contemporary western Eurasians?’ "

Translation; "Who would have thought that present-day Native Americans, who we learned in school derive from Siberia, share recent evolutionary history with contemporary Siberians?’ "

"Previously, researchers had thought that people came from Europe into East Asia, and then entered Siberia from the south."

They did? Hmm, never heard that in my college anthro classes.

Edited by redhen

Given that we all come from a common ancestor it really can't be all that surprising to see crossover genetically among peoples

• Like 1

Some also think that some American Indians came up from South America

It shows that Europeans travelled to the Americas way before Columbus.

It shows that Europeans travelled to the Americas way before Columbus.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of Norsemen over 5 centuries who agree with you :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

DNA Testing shows that American Indians could be from europe, or at least partially.

From the article:

DNA extracted from a young boy who died 24,000 years ago could prove that the first Native Americans were European.

The genome of the four-year-old boy, who died in south-central Siberia, is the oldest sequenced to date.

It provides an insight into origins of Native Americans whose ancestors are believed to have travelled across Siberia into the Americas during the Ice Age.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2511172/Native-Americans-come-Europe-reveals-DNA-testing-skeleton.html

And while posting this I remembered Kennewick man, a skeleton discovered in Washington state that facial reconstruction showed looked a bit like Patrick Stewart.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Kennewick_Man

The possibility of Indiginous Americans with European DNA is still a very contentious issue.

The very latest on this is that the Paleo Ameroindians originated in Siberia. They may have spent time on Beringia en route to the Americas.

My theory is that Europeans could have also reached Beringia and could have joined the southward migration into the Americas, or could have cross bred with the Siberians.

The bottom line is that, as yet, there is no proof either way.