Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oldest wine cellar found in northern Israel

questionmark

Nov. 22 (UPI) -- Archaeologists have found possibly the largest and oldest collection of wine, in the northern Israeli city of Tel Kabri, dating back to 1700 BCE.

The cellar was discovered in the ruined palace of the Canaanite city and contained forty jars, each holding 13 gallons of sweet, strong wine. The site is close to modern-day wineries found in Israel.

"This wasn't moonshine that someone was brewing in their basement, eyeballing the measurements," said Andrew Koh, assistant professor of classical studies at Brandeis University. "This wine's recipe was strictly followed in each and every jar."

Sigh... all the jars broken, I bet it was some good stuff.

• Like 1

ah yes, 1700 bce. that was a good... century or so for wine.

seriously neat that they can find these things out now, though. the study of history is mingling more and more with science as time goes on, it seems

• Like 1

really? i don't (can't) drink anymore, but wine and honey can go together wonderfully. i also wonder if they heated their wine, as was common in some ancient cultures.

mint, i'm not so sure. i'll leave that to others to judge,

Mint, juniper and honey. Sounds like it was spicy, sweet and curiously delicious to me, and I don't drink alcohol. I might try it just once if that particular blend was available, though, just out of curiosity.

• Like 1

The snobby wine puritans must be dry reaching after reading this one..

wonder how potnent and expensive some wine aged 3700 would be....

very expensive, very sour and 2% less alcohol than water

Mmmmmm.... wine.... I also wish I could taste just one glass of this ancient wine. If it was really good, I'd just savor it as long as possible. If it was too yucky to drink I'd have to accidentally spill it.

• Like 1

I did a web search. Apparently honey made with juniper and other herbs is still used in some wines in Italy. They described it as a sweet, pleasant taste. Sounds fascinating to me. I am also ancient.

The snobby wine puritans must be dry reaching after reading this one..

Nope, I'm not.