Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

elves or little people

Loreoffolk

26% of people in iceland belive in huldufolk (elves) so much that building agencys avoid building into stones instead building round them so they are not disturbed 70% of all icelandic folklore is about elves i thought it would be an intresting read for anyone intrested in more scandanavian folk lore just drop me a message im sure i can sort alot more out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huldufólk (elves)

the statistics i used where from the Álfaskólinn the icelandic elf school

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_Elf_School

• Like 1

Thank you! I always wondered where elf professionals and mental elf professionals went to school. :)

• Like 7

Hi! New here, so bear with me plz. I had to laugh about this topic - irrelevant of course - but I was discussing this ( and other related subjects) the other day. I aklways used to dream and want to meet little people. Being from Oklahoma and a NA , I'm also a USMC vet. I was sent to Oahu (many moons ago) and I heard of the Menehunes who live there in lava caves. I started delving into the various beliefs around the world, and am still intrigued whenever and wherever I go about the culture and mythological beliefs of the myriad peoples around the globe. Not that much separates us as a people in our basic legends, does it? Any comments?

In some cultures, and in ancient Icelandic and Scandinavian folklore, elves are not "little people". They look human and some are possibly distant lost gods.

A quick note before I (yawn) leave. I have about three linquistically-related tribes in my lineage, plus a dash of Irish. In all the cultures I am a part of, we all have the legends of "little people," (kowi anukasha) (leprechauns). My grandfather imparted quite a bit of tribal tradition to me, and I, in turn, imparted it to my daughter, who has also imbued it in her daughter. To anyone who is at all familiar with their culture and traditions, subject matter such as this is an interesting topic, depending upon if there is any interest at all in informative discovery.

Edited by cedarcarver1
  • Like 1

a western friend I met once told me that so many people in northern europe believe in little people, as a chinese i find it interesting to learn about other cultures mythology. next time i am in qingcheng mountain i will keep my ears and eyes peeled!

I lived on an island in the Western Pacific where belief in the little people is very much alive. The indigenous people say the only way you could see them is if they let themselves be seen, and people left outdoor offering of sweets & candy for them. Sometimes when I opened my front door in the morning, what looked to be like small faint shadows close to the floor would rush through the door and into the living room, which the indigenous people told me were the duendes. I went to an art exhibit about local culture, and there were lots of drawings of the little people, all of them looking like Darby O'Gill, with a cap, long sleeves, wide belt with buckle, and funny little shoes. I would have thought that since we were in the tropics that their clothing would have been more island-style.

The island was a magical place for me. I saw all kinds of things that I never believed existed, researched & read like mad about it, talked to the locals. In the space of about 3 months I shifted from being a complete skeptic to believing just about anything was possible.

• 1 month later...

I went to an art exhibit about local culture, and there were lots of drawings of the little people, all of them looking like Darby O'Gill, with a cap, long sleeves, wide belt with buckle, and funny little shoes. I would have thought that since we were in the tropics that their clothing would have been more island-style.

They may well have been from "Darby O'Gill" - the movie was released 55 years ago!

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

The mythic folks of Australia were on the whole either outright malicious (ie Quinkin) or just apathetic towards the plight of man.

Some cared, but most were as harsh as the country itself.

leave the elf people alone, it wouldnt be xmas without them

• Like 1