Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black widows found in supermarket grapes

UM-Bot

A shopper who had bought a bunch of grapes returned home to find more than she had bargained for.

Yvonne Whalen had bought the grapes from a Giant Food Stores in Pennsylvania and had been washing them at home when she spotted something unexpected moving inside the bunch. The unwelcome visitor turned out to be a black widow spider, an arachnid capable of delivering a very nasty bite.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/258284/black-widows-found-in-supermarket-grapes

• Like 1

Spiders in bananas, spiders in grapes, wherever next :unsure2:

I always buy bananas from the supermarket, a friend asked me recently if I ever check them when I got home. I never have done even with all these 'horror' stories floating around, but it did make me think perhaps I shouldn't be too quick to think 'it'll never happen to me'. Spiders give me the creeps at the best of times.

• Like 2

As an Australian, I would just like to say screw spiders. Worst creatures to have ever evolved on this earth.

• Like 1

Wow, don't click the link if you're not a fan of misshapenly large spiders.

Where is the quality control?? I find it hard to believe that there is no inspection of the fruit before its packaged. And Spiders Suck.

I have yet to encounter any spiders at Giant. But if I ever do. I swear everyone in the store would hear me scream.

Edited by Princess Serenity

Spiders in bananas, spiders in grapes, wherever next :unsure2:

I always buy bananas from the supermarket, a friend asked me recently if I ever check them when I got home. I never have done even with all these 'horror' stories floating around, but it did make me think perhaps I shouldn't be too quick to think 'it'll never happen to me'. Spiders give me the creeps at the best of times.

Just put them in Sprouts, I know I will never get bitten then.

Where is the quality control?? I find it hard to believe that there is no inspection of the fruit before its packaged. And Spiders Suck.

Produce boxes and grape bags in particular often have holes (intended) in them. So the spider really could have crawled in at any point from grapes being put into its shipping container to going into the woman's house.

• Like 1

I grew up in a house that had black widows living in the basement. Finding one in my grapes wouldn't be a huge deal. I'm numb to the horror.

I don't share my home with anything with more than 6 legs. My bed with anything with more than 4 legs. And my bath with anything with more than 2 legs. Not negotiable!

Quality Control guy got bitten.Should be a new one along soon.

As an Australian, I would just like to say screw spiders. Worst creatures to have ever evolved on this earth.

As an Englishman, I'd like to ask how you cope living in Australia with a fear of spiders? I mean I am absolutely petrified of them, decent sized house spiders make me freeze on the spot, but that's why I'm so thankful to have been born on my safe North West European island where they're pretty much the worst I have to worry about, I can't imagine living in Australia, the demonic spider capital of the planet as far as I'm concerned! :hmm:

Edited by TheSpoonyOne

As an Englishman, I'd like to ask how you cope living in Australia with a fear of spiders? I mean I am absolutely petrified of them, decent sized house spiders make me freeze on the spot, but that's why I'm so thankful to have been born on my safe North West European island where they're pretty much the worst I have to worry about, I can't imagine living in Australia, the demonic spider capital of the planet as far as I'm concerned! :hmm:

I agree, living in Florida it's hard not to accidently walk through webs. I've been bitten a few times and it can be bad. May even require a trip to the Dr. The animals in Australia are much worse and not just the spiders.

To be sure, spiders have their place in Nature. But, I sure don't want one crawling on my skin or on my food. Yuck.

Fear is good, it's what keeps us here in Australia alive. We live, after all, in a country where even the weather is trying to brutally murder us all.

We check the toilet - just in case - out of fear.

We shake out even thongs/flip-flops and crocs - just in case - out of fear.

Anyone who isn't scared doesn't last long and usually goes out on a dramatic manner (hello there Steve Irwin).