Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

60gallon Aquarium Water Disappeared Overnight

92vetstudent

So ..........  Brahma emptied the fish tanks , is that what he was trying to say  ?   

• 10 months later...

THIS HAPPENED TO ME LAST NIGHT. I had just done a water change yesterday and the tank was full last night when I turned the lights off and went to bed. This morning my girlfriend wakes me up to an angry empty filter noise in our 10g tank. There is no water in the tank and our fish were THANKFULLY barely alive and we're saved. There's no water anywhere around the tank or in the ceiling downstairs. 

34 minutes ago, Molly S. said:

THIS HAPPENED TO ME LAST NIGHT. I had just done a water change yesterday and the tank was full last night when I turned the lights off and went to bed. This morning my girlfriend wakes me up to an angry empty filter noise in our 10g tank. There is no water in the tank and our fish were THANKFULLY barely alive and we're saved. There's no water anywhere around the tank or in the ceiling downstairs. 

Very interesting. What kind of floor was under it. I would think 10 gallons of leaking water would be obvious if it was a leak. It sounds like you are suggesting the possibility of the paranormal which is of course possible.

Have you tried refilling the tank to see if it leaks? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2017 at 9:19 AM, Molly S. said:

Certain types of aquarium fish drink an excessive amount of water. Know your fish if you are going to trap them in an aquarium.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sakari said:

Certain types of aquarium fish drink an excessive amount of water. Know your fish if you are going to trap them in an aquarium.

Do you have a filter that drains to the outside?  Do you have an aerator? That is a LOT of water....I know....I have a 45 gallon aquarium and that's a lot of water!  So, it had to have siphoned somewhere...I discovered a leak behind mine was and it was because the aerator hose had come lose from the aerator...but it was just pouring onto the floor behind the aquarium.  Also, if something like that happened and you are upstairs, it probably drained down the wall and then to the outside.  Look at the bottom floor directly beneath where the aquarium sits...also...look outside around the wall in the same location.  I'm guessing that is where it went...and if it did...you could eventually have big problems because not all of the water is going to be displaced outside.

One more thought:  if you don't have a hose it could have siphoned out of...replace the tank!

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Same thing happened at my parents house. Went to bed one night got up next morning and the tank was empty of water. This happened about 30 years ago. There was no sign of any water, nothing was wet or damp, my parents didnt sleep walk either. It was a mystery where the water went, there was just them two in the house and noway would they empty the tank as they were elderly and one of us children would always help with changing the water, there was no leaks either.It was a mystery then as it is now, but its nice to know it happens to other people too.

4 hours ago, Sheils said:

Same thing happened at my parents house. Went to bed one night got up next morning and the tank was empty of water. This happened about 30 years ago. There was no sign of any water, nothing was wet or damp, my parents didnt sleep walk either. It was a mystery where the water went, there was just them two in the house and noway would they empty the tank as they were elderly and one of us children would always help with changing the water, there was no leaks either.It was a mystery then as it is now, but its nice to know it happens to other people too.

As a 60-gallon aquarium owner myself and one interested in all things paranormal, your story grabs my attention. With the internet we can now get more spreading of strange stories. I have come to believe the paranormal is rare but not as rare as I used to think.

The obvious first thing to consider is a leak but one would think that would be rather obvious to figure out. What type of floor? Any place the water could have all naturally drained to? Carpet? Were the fish dead? Did the tank get refilled and if so what happened? Anything else suspiciously weird going on with the parents or the house?

Edited by papageorge1

• 2 weeks later...

To repeat....

Properly investigating this would require a bit more information, including pictures of the aquarium from different angles to show the layout of tubing/air hoses, and also showing the walls and the floor.  Security camera footage would be nice, but I'll bet we'll never get that lucky (or if they look at it, they will see what happened and they will not return).  Also, I may be a slack aquarium owner (! but my fish seems very happy and is now 3 years old and thriving), but I will sometimes not look at the aquarium for several days.  Given the nature of my floor in that area I would probably not notice the seepage and it would disappear via the skirting/floorboard junction.

Edited by ChrLzs