Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Success of 'New Space' era

Waspie_Dwarf

Success of 'New Space' era hinges on public's interest

Capturing the public’s interest is a key component for “New Space,” where commercial companies are filling in some of the roles that had been traditionally played by NASA, and education has an important role to play, said Ariel Anbar, a professor in Arizona State University’s School of Earth and Space Exploration.

This new role for academia is “a deeper, more authentic relationship than providing training and science majors” to industry, he said. Educating non-science majors is also important.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I've always felt that the various Space Agencies should try and find that new "super wow" project or mission that captured the publics interest and attention, like the old Apollo program did...

I know that the science that is going on in space exploration as is, is very important and valuable... But unless actual people are involved in the actual travel the public won't focus on it for long...

Unfortunately the general public has the attention span of a three year old...

The Apollo program was happening in the right place, at the right time. Merely sending rockets up to space isn't cutting it anymore.

When we saw the first pictures sent from the surface of Mars, it reignited the passion for space travel (though in a more modest way when compared to the first lunar landing).

We have to continually push the envelope in order to capture the imagination but it's a catch-22: we need the public's interest, but we can't get the public's interest without doing something spectacular, for which we will need the public's interest, etc. etc.

Edit to add -- everyone is preoccupied with just getting through tomorrow. I imagine space travel is going to be a very low priority for most people until the world is financially stable again.

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 1

everyone is preoccupied with just getting through tomorrow.

You are too young to remember the cold war. Believe me during Apollo everyone was preoccupied with just getting through tomorrow... literally. This was the period when nuclear Armageddon was a very real possibility.

You are too young to remember the cold war. Believe me during Apollo everyone was preoccupied with just getting through tomorrow... literally. This was the period when nuclear Armageddon was a very real possibility.

Hm. Interesting. So the global climate was much like today? The way things are evolving now, it seems like the space-race of tomorrow will belong to the corporations...