Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Comet ISON Dazzle or Dust?

Waspie_Dwarf

Comet ISON Dazzle or Dust?

Get the facts about comet ISON. The manager of NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office shares the low-down on the stellar object's holiday travel plans.

Credit: NASA/JPL

Source: NASA/JPL - Videos

• Like 1

Now this, Im looking forward too. Im hoping for that later possible out come.

Now this, Im looking forward too.

Ditto on that! I don't have any light pollution where I'm at but I do have a 1980s era Edmund telescope which is a bit of a handicap.

Ditto on that! I don't have any light pollution where I'm at but I do have a 1980s era Edmund telescope which is a bit of a handicap.

Comet ISON will soar past the Earth December 25, 2013.

Merry Christmas !

• Like 1

Awesome. Anyone know approximately what time this is taking place? I do not want to miss it.

Awesome. Anyone know approximately what time this is taking place? I do not want to miss it.

It doesn't happen at a specific time, it happens over a period of days or weeks. This BBC News page has a diagram of where to see the comet if it survives.

• Like 1

It loops around the sun November 28th and flies past Earth December 25, 2013.

It will be interesting to see if this will relate to the prophecy of the popes. I sure hope it doesn't. ^_^

Edited by WoIverine

It will be interesting to see if this will relate to the prophecy of the popes. I sure hope it doesn't. ^_^

What is the prophecy of the pope?

A new beginning?

The 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ ? It is his birthday when Comet ISON flies by the Earth.

What is the prophecy of the pope?

A new beginning?

The 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ ? It is his birthday when Comet ISON flies by the Earth.

Nah, something about the pope being forced to flee Vatican city due to a celestial event. Whichever pope that is, is supposedly the last pope before everything hits the fan. It's been a while since I read about it, so take what I said with a grain of salt. Memory isn't what it used to be lately. lol

Edited by WoIverine

Will be nice to see a once in a lifetime celestial event.Not so sure about phrophetic fairy tales..

Edited by shaddow134

The last halfway decent comets in my lifetime happened about 15 years ago if memory serves. Under the clear skies of Park City, Utah you could see the first one hanging in the sky and you could see it quite clearly. The second later that year, (I think) under the humid skies of home, was just a hazy bluish blob of light in the sky.

Most of the others that were supposed to be "spectacular" just never panned out and some were abject failures as far as sky watchers were concerned.

Of course I realize that you are dealing with unpredictable objects of somewhat unknown composition regarding ice to rock/dust ratio so, like that proverbial box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

As a side bar, I have a friend who thinks this is some doomsday event based on some "scientist's" claims that the tail of a comet will complete some kind of electric circuit between Earth and Mars. Even though I tried to explain otherwise, he's pretty spooked over the whole thing. He is very intelligent but given to belief in conspiracy theories. I think I read that at its closest, comet ISON will be more than 600 times the distance between the Earth and the Moon from the Earth. And even IF there is some lingering trail of particles from where it passed Mars and came close to crossing Earth's orbit on approach, I can't imagine that having anything to do with an electrical circuit and would further assume that the particles have long since been pushed away by the solar wind. Sadly, it's hard to reason with someone who's mind is made up. I guess it goes without saying: don't fall for everything you hear on the internet!

It loops around the sun November 28th and flies past Earth December 25, 2013.

"Flies past the Earth" is not really an accurate description as it never gets closer than about 0.43 AU (64,000,000 km; 40,000,000 mi).

You are also out by a day as it's closest point to the Earth is on 26th December not 25th.

The last halfway decent comets in my lifetime happened about 15 years ago if memory serves.

Are you referring to the comet Hail Bop?

Bring it on. I love comet watching.

Edited by ancient astronaut

I hope Ison makes it through the sun. I want a nice show!

I hope Ison makes it through the sun. I want a nice show!

It did survive and it is right on course. :tu:

BTW, some people are calling Comet ISON : Blue Star Kachina. :yes: