Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The wolves who made a bid for freedom

Commander CMG

• The timber wolves fled through a damaged fence at Colchester Zoo
  • One immediately returned to the enclosure and one was shot with a dart
  • But two wolves who were further away had to be shot dead
  • The last one that sparked a police hunt in Essex has now been shot

arrow3.gifView: Read more

I hate to say this and I will probably get some venom for it but maybe those wolves are better off dead than spending a miserable existence in a glorified pen.

The place they were in didn't look too cozy to me at all and being wild animals I can only imagine the type of confusion they must feel, perhaps sensing in their own being that this world of chain link fences and cages is not how they or any creature should live.

• Like 1

If they caught up with the wolves enough to shoot them, why didn't they use darts on them all and take them back to their enclosure. There was no need to kill them.

• Like 3

If they caught up with the wolves enough to shoot them, why didn't they use darts on them all and take them back to their enclosure. There was no need to kill them.

I guess in their minds it is easier to kill than to save.

• Like 2

I hate to say this and I will probably get some venom for it but maybe those wolves are better off dead than spending a miserable existence in a glorified pen.

The place they were in didn't look too cozy to me at all and being wild animals I can only imagine the type of confusion they must feel, perhaps sensing in their own being that this world of chain link fences and cages is not how they or any creature should live.

I can see your point, but I don't think killing them was the right thing to do.

If the zoo is keeping wolves at all they need to expand where they house them. I was at a wildlife park two summers ago and they had a huge enclosure built within a forest, there was so much space for the wolves to roam it was hard to spot them. At the time we were there the wolves had not long given birth to cubs and it wasn't the first time they'd had cubs either.

I can see your point, but I don't think killing them was the right thing to do.

If the zoo is keeping wolves at all they need to expand where they house them. I was at a wildlife park two summers ago and they had a huge enclosure built within a forest, there was so much space for the wolves to roam it was hard to spot them. At the time we were there the wolves had not long given birth to cubs and it wasn't the first time they'd had cubs either.

I know. It's just that when I see these creatures pacing around like dogs in a kennel, I often wonder just what are we doing to them.

Even if they are born into this "prison" I sometimes wonder if they feel somehow that no matter how spacious their prison is, it is still basically a prison.

• Like 2

It is going to be hard on those left in the cage, wolf packs are really families. :( I don't think this zoo should be keeping wolves, they don't seem to understand them.

• Like 1

It is going to be hard on those left in the cage, wolf packs are really families. :( I don't think this zoo should be keeping wolves, they don't seem to understand them.

Sometimes I think zoo's don't really understand animals much at all beyond what they eat and what their basic mannerisms are.

When I see wolves in zoo's, while interesting, they don't seem much like wolves really. I don't know...it's hard to explain. It's like wolves being made to act like dogs...living in glorified kennels and living a life that humans want them to live, acting like how humans want them to act.

Now the revenge begins.

There is no excuse for a hole in the fence.This was wolves, and three poor sods have been shot because of the zoos incompetence.

What if it had been tigers that ripped some kids throats out...those fences should be checked daily and be 100% safe or they shouldn't be allowed to keep anything bigger than hamsters.

Sad thing is people think nothing of the pets they keep. Imagine being a bird kept in a cage the equivalent of a room

that's 15x15x45 till the day you die.

I live in the UK and I saw no news reports on this... the pictures show men carrying black bags but I see no wolves... personally I don't believe it.

I live in the UK and I saw no news reports on this... the pictures show men carrying black bags but I see no wolves... personally I don't believe it.

arrow3.gifView: BBC News

arrow3.gifView: The Telegraph

arrow3.gifView: The Express

What is there not t believe... It was on the news last night also.

Deliberate killing of animals is always sentimental. But actually it is what happens all the time, we eat meat. When it is brought up as an issue in news like that we face that subconscious knowing that we kill to eat and this hurts as well much as the issue at hand.

Deliberate killing of animals is always sentimental. But actually it is what happens all the time, we eat meat. When it is brought up as an issue in news like that we face that subconscious knowing that we kill to eat and this hurts as well much as the issue at hand.

This isn't about meat, this incident cannot be realistically compared.

We are talking about wolves that escaped because of the glaring incompetence of the zoo officials and apparently it was easier to just kill them than to dart them. I mean, they were even in helicopters (the people, not the wolves.) so they had a better chance of darting them.

Sad thing is people think nothing of the pets they keep. Imagine being a bird kept in a cage the equivalent of a room

that's 15x15x45 till the day you die.

Yeah, I often think about that. There is no freedom in a small cage. While it sounds hypocritical, at least an aviary has more room and most have trees but it is not the same.

With wolves however it is more difficult because they are larger and stronger and need more than some trees and grass. They roam and expand their territory and fences don't allow for it and I can imagine at some point just knowing there are fences that are basically your cell walls....I don't know...

• Like 3

This isn't about meat, this incident cannot be realistically compared.

We are talking about wolves that escaped because of the glaring incompetence of the zoo officials and apparently it was easier to just kill them than to dart them. I mean, they were even in helicopters (the people, not the wolves.) so they had a better chance of darting them.

of course the both situations are rather different in nature. cutting of animals in slaughter houses are done by professionals knowing exactly how to do it.

arrow3.gif View: BBC News

arrow3.gif View: The Telegraph

arrow3.gif View: The Express

What is there not t believe... It was on the news last night also.

fair enough :yes:

• Like 1

i get that bit... but you never saw what was actually in the bag, that was my point. ive since heard about it elsewhere so i no longer believe it to be something that didnt happen lol

• Like 1

As wolves are certainly not endangered species, and I would think unlikely to be any time soon, why is there a need to keep them in a prison? I wonder that, except for conservation work, zoos have any place in the world, since we can see the animals on the TV in glorious HD and in their natural habitat. Zoos seem as archaic now as stagecoaches or telegrams.

More here -

Zoo visitors were told there was a "medical emergency" rather than wolves on the loose after five escaped from their enclosure, it has emerged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-essex-25118535

It's obvious why. Imagine the panic at being told some wolves had got out!

More here -

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-essex-25118535

It's obvious why. Imagine the panic at being told some wolves had got out!

Agreed :tu:

Telling the public wolves had escaped would have been crazy, thanks to Hollywood and how they portray these majestic creatures makes the general public scared of the very thought of them.

A lack of understanding of these animals would have led to pure panic . This whole thing is human error, holes in the fence, holes dont just happen and what looks like badly housed animal enclosure, then shooting them dead, rather than sedating them was wrong. Zoos are about conservation and teaching and yet they just shot them dead.

I hope we learn from this.

• Like 5

Near me is a sanctuary for wolves and other exotic animals that are to much for their owners to care for. People get wolves and wolf dogs and think they are dogs. They are not, they don't house break well and are hard to train. I have got to pet wolves at their sanctuary. They do their best to care for them, but a cage is a cage. Right now they are trying to expand and make bigger spaces for the wolves.

http://www.shywolfsanctuary.com/

• Like 3