Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No Atlantic hurricanes?

DieChecker

http://www.noaanews....caneseason.html

NOAA: Slow Atlantic hurricane season coming to a close

No major hurricanes formed in the Atlantic basin - first time since 1994

Thirteen named storms formed in the Atlantic basin this year. Two, Ingrid and Humberto, became hurricanes, but neither became major hurricanes. Although the number of named storms was above the average of 12, the numbers of hurricanes and major hurricanes were well below their averages of six and three, respectively. Major hurricanes are categories 3 and above.

Tropical storm Andrea, the first of the season, was the only named storm to make landfall in the United States this year. Andrea brought tornadoes, heavy rain, and minor flooding to portions of Florida, eastern Georgia and eastern South Carolina, causing one fatality.

I find this interesting because the Climate Change model is that hurricanes would be increasing, and that just doesn't seem to be happening. Not to the extent that "experts" have said in the past.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

It is moving ... and it is early days yet ... the weather no longer follows our defined calendar if you guys haven't noticed , as least not any longer ... the seasonal characteristics have been all out of sync for years ...

• Like 1

I suppose it was a good year, since only one person (In the US) died from any of the Tropical storms and only one made it to the US coast.

I find this interesting because the Climate Change model is that hurricanes would be increasing, and that just doesn't seem to be happening. Not to the extent that "experts" have said in the past.

Who are the experts ? weather forecasters get it wrong all the time in U.K. Its supposed to be sunny today but we have low lying blanket cloud.I have a laugh when they stand on top of the weather station roof in the cold and p*****g rain and tell you its going to be sunny.They're about as usefull as an ashtray on a golf trolley.
  • Like 2

One season, or even a decade, does not make a climate trend. Climate is about averages; you are talking about weather. If the 30-year average has changed significantly, then you have a case; if not, then there's nothing to talk about.

Doug

• Like 3

The hurricane prediction center hasn't even been remotely close to accurate in the last decade or so. Since 2005 they have wanted another season like that so bad they could taste it and have let that influence their views I believe. I am not a meteorologist, and I do not play one on TV, but you really have a pattern of hurricane severity ever since they started keeping track. Major hurricane season every 25 to 30 yrs, and at least one major storm every 7-9 yrs. Of course that isn't scientific, just a trend.

Mike

• Like 1

One season, or even a decade, does not make a climate trend. Climate is about averages; you are talking about weather. If the 30-year average has changed significantly, then you have a case; if not, then there's nothing to talk about.

Doug

II agree. I just think it is idiotic of arm-chair, self-professed, experts (some of whom I talk to every day) who have bought into the TV Doom Theories and are eating it up like chocolate cake.

As a scientific minded person, I can understand that the gradual warming of the Earth is going to increase Atlantic storms. But it has been put forward to us on TV that.... THIS IS THE END OF THE WORLD! When in reality it seems that except for 2005, we haven't seen anything terribly bad so far.

The Hurricane center has been accurate this year, i see thier facebook status and when a storm comes they dont think it will be a major storm. But in the Indian Ocean and the Pacific there seems to a few big ones

• Like 1

II agree. I just think it is idiotic of arm-chair, self-professed, experts (some of whom I talk to every day) who have bought into the TV Doom Theories and are eating it up like chocolate cake.

As a scientific minded person, I can understand that the gradual warming of the Earth is going to increase Atlantic storms. But it has been put forward to us on TV that.... THIS IS THE END OF THE WORLD! When in reality it seems that except for 2005, we haven't seen anything terribly bad so far.

Storms are, at best, two steps removed from climate. There are quite a few things besides climate that influence them. Besides, we are in a transition period and storms could be responding to either the old or the new regimes. Lots of chaos.

Doug

The Pacific was slammed with major hurricanes (typhoons). Maybe its not the Atlantics year. or maybe its the silence before the storm and next year will be hell.

• Like 1