Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"He Let Me Live..."

Leonardo

I watched this small exerpt from a documentary, "The World Before Her", about women in modern India, and it made me angry, shocked and sad. I would like to watch the whole documentary - I hope it is shown here in the UK some time soon - and I would love to hear comments from you about the clip in the article I linked to below.

Please do not treat this as being about India. In my mind it is not, but is about how 'traditional' cultures everywhere still treat women.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2013/sep/12/world-before-her-women-india-video

Even in laboratories in a modern western environment:

This study implies that women in the natural and biological sciences (and yes, surely other fields too) still face prejudices that can impact the opportunities they are given to work closely with professors to gain important experiences and skills, as well as limiting their access to jobs and starting them out at a lower salary. These factors can snowball over time, creating larger and larger gaps in career achievements and income as men capitalize on opportunities while women find it impossible to catch up.

And despite what you might expect, female professors were just as likely to do this as male professors were.

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2012/12/27/gender-and-biased-perceptions-scientists-rate-job-applicants/

It's very true that even 'progressive cultures' still retain an aspect of discrimination and misogyny, QC. What appalled me in the short clip from the documentary was the utter subjugation of women in more 'traditional' societies, however.

While it might sound a bit hysterical, this treatment of ~50% of the population of human beings on the planet is nothing less than a crime against humanity, equal to the impact of war and other conflicts.

• Like 1

It's very true that even 'progressive cultures' still retain an aspect of discrimination and misogyny, QC. What appalled me in the short clip from the documentary was the utter subjugation of women in more 'traditional' societies, however.

While it might sound a bit hysterical, this treatment of ~50% of the population of human beings on the planet is nothing less than a crime against humanity, equal to the impact of war and other conflicts.

I'm glad you said that Leonardo - it would only sound hysterical if I had said it, though. :whistle: