Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are You Internet Addicted?

susieice

I started taking the test and then realized the majority of the questions didn't apply to my life. I don't have school grades, no one asks me what I do online, no one tells me to get off. It seems very geared to teens or kids.

I turn on the internet every morning around 8am and do not turn it off until midnight at least. Obviously I take breaks for meals, housework, my kids, etc. From the outside, you would think I'm addicted I suppose. However, I work online full-time, so it would be about the same as saying you're addicted to your office. When the power went out for 3 days with Hurricane Sandy last year, I had no problem reading, playing board games and doing other stuff in the cold and dark with my family.

• Like 3

In a way you're right Purplos. It is geared to young people but older ones can substitute their own lifestyle such as work or work performance in the questions. Here's the news article I got the test from.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9341111

At my age I highly suspect it really doesn't matter if I'm *addicted* or not. I take care of myself, pay my bills, walk my dogs, have friends in 'real life', even read a book or two. Nope, I don't think it matters for some of us.

• Like 4

Yes I use the internet a damn lot and suffer boredom when it's down. Better than being in front of the boob tube all day. For people like me I get most of my news, communicate with most of my friends, get my music and education, and have outlets to blabber away on (such as this one). I think the internet is great and am not the least bit worried about how much time I spend on it.

• Like 2

Yes I use the internet a damn lot and suffer boredom when it's down. Better than being in front of the boob tube all day....

It's ok though...we're in that age group that gets a pass! :D

• Like 2

The test didn't actually ask how much time one spends on the internet. It was after something else as far as I could see -- whether or not the internet was interfering with other aspects of life. That is probably why I got such a good score. I have no problem going to dinner when they call no matter what I'm doing on the internet: food remains more important.

• Like 1

32 . I guess i might be a bit obsessed with the internet . No problem though. I seem to operate by the principal that anything worth doing is worth Overdoing.. until it is replaced with newer interests. But Addicted? nah, i would be ok if it disappeared . It is fun and educational and very useful though .. so .. it won't.. Will it ?! :cry:

• Like 1

At my age I highly suspect it really doesn't matter if I'm *addicted* or not. I take care of myself, pay my bills, walk my dogs, have friends in 'real life', even read a book or two. Nope, I don't think it matters for some of us.

Psh - spoken like a true addict

• Like 4

I work and play online.

I used to be addicted..

when I just watched youtube all day and didn't get anything done.

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you 'cos the link doesn't work.

:cry:

• Like 1

Like it or not i am forced to be online at least 8h, every day except sunday.

Even when sunday comes, my morning coffee isnt the same without internet. Addicted, but i was forced :D

• Like 1

I can say that I am probably an addict and the reason I am is simple. What else to do when you are antisocial it is easier to ignore your surrounding and find entertainment or at least something to keep you interested. Far as are we spending to much time looking at screens I say yes also. But this I blame for the unwillingness or inability to get along or at least appreciate not being in someone situation. With people being so mean and hard on their fellow human it is no wonder people are always looking for an escape from the madness.