Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What if Aliens Attacked?

Arkitecht

If they waged a violent attack against us we would probably be annihilated. If they have the technology to travel throughout deep space then more than likely they could destroy us very easily. Complete destruction of all life, hell they could probably destroy the whole planet, blast it into many pieces. The only hope we would have would be if they wanted the planet, then they would be tasked with destroying us with minimal impact on the planet.

Through all the death and destruction, perhaps something like that would pull the world together against a common enemy, instead of constantly with each other.

I believe this is called the Watchmen effect.

An advanced civilization which has such an advanced technology or means to travel light years and which didnt destory itself up until to that stage of development, is going to be morally very well established and advanced as well.

What if they're like the borg?

It's the cows that are bearing the brunt of it all at the moment; never mind humans.

And that's why animal activists are really extra terrestrial agents, when we no longer grow cows for human consumption there will be nothing standing in their way. :yes:

I keep saying the same thing, but I have a feeling that we will be invaded by the aliens that have gone through a lot, having experience threats from all imaginable situations. If that's the case they know what they are exactly dealing with. We will be royally screwed, even if they have no intention to exterminate us. At least they will humiliate us and treat us like a bunch of hairless monkeys.

• Like 1

How so? There is nothing to suggest that technological advancement has any bearing on morality or ethics. In fact morality is a subjective term that may have quite different definitions in an alien society. "Survival at any cost" (with the Earth and humans paying the price) may be seen as moral or at the very least justifiable to aliens. We don't know.

Being morally well established is not a subjective term. A civilization with the 'survival at any cost' motto will destroy itself before it gets to the needed technological advancement to get to the other planets. I know. :)

Edited by thyra

What if they're like the borg?

Borg is a made up thing. if you can go back to the first ages of development of borgs, see how their development damages themselves and causes them to destruct themselves. Thats why perhaps they have never been :)

Being morally well established is not a subjective term. A civilization with the 'survival at any cost' motto will destroy itself before it gets to the needed technological advancement to get to the other planets. I know. :)

I gotta ask.

How do you know this?

I gotta ask.

How do you know this?

It makes sense that would happen if the instinct is at the individual level, but not if it is an instinct of the species as a whole.

right, i took it to mean that since they said

A civilization with the 'survival at any cost' motto

meant that the instinct was of the species. and also im just curious as to why they say they know rather than saying that it makes logical sense.

I gotta ask.

How do you know this?

not everytthing can be answered through words. somethings that can be known are within your own desire only. :)

Any morality beyond societal strata are not instinctual but learned. What's good for the group is good for the individual is pretty much where instinctive morality ends. It can be inflated to encompass things outside society such as what's good for the planet is good for society however that has never been shown to be an 'instinct' of any societal animal. As such it is conceivable that morality from an alien viewpoint could only include their own society and anything outside of that may be fair game. I'm not saying that is how it will be however since we don't even know what aliens might or might not think it is a bit presumptuous to assume they would by necessity be benevolent, or indeed even malevolent.

not everytthing can be answered through words. somethings that can be known are within your own desire only. :)

alright, thank you for your response in a polite manner.

• Like 1

Borg is a made up thing.

So is your morality requirement of technologically advanced civilizations.
if you can go back to the first ages of development of borgs, see how their development damages themselves and causes them to destruct themselves. Thats why perhaps they have never been :)

If they destroyed themselves they wouldn't be out assimilating other life.

No worries folks, because we have the ultimate weapon on hands, that even not advanced aliens will have a defence system against this.

We just have to confront them with German folk music TV shows and the aliens will escape immediately and never come back because they

will white out our coordinates from their records.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

I do not know why people think if Aliens attack there would be some big war.

Remember the 1995 Sarin Attack in the Tokyo subway?

One serious pathogen dropped from space into our atmosphere could wipe out life on earth, and they could just send a rocket here to clean out the place first. Why fight?

I suspect if some aliens want to colonize a planet, they will have to sterilize it first, since even our microbes are liable to be toxic, having had a different evolutionary past.

So is your morality requirement of technologically advanced civilizations.

If they destroyed themselves they wouldn't be out assimilating other life.

Despair, we have seen technological advancements can bring destructive forces if not used on well established moral basis. Think of the usage of high tech weapons. we have come to the edge of destructing millions and we did with atom bombs and we still live with the fear of it. This is a hint to show what can be done 'wrong' through technological advancements. if we dont get morally well establised and go more ahead in technology chances are high we will get closer to the destructing our own kind. same is true with alien technologies. the higher the technology the more the moral responsibility it brings. you cant compare a movie thing to this fact. But I know talking these things wont make you get it the way i see them because assimilation idea gives you some excitement and motive it seems. :)

Edited by thyra

If that;s the case we will probably be extinct before they get here

I suspect if some aliens want to colonize a planet, they will have to sterilize it first, since even our microbes are liable to be toxic, having had a different evolutionary past.

That's something I can't make up my mind about. Whether it would be more likely that we would destroy each other due to a lack of resistance to each others germs or if we would be completely immune to them because we would be so different.
  • Like 1