Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

CNN and MSNBC Lose Almost Half Their Viewers

DieChecker

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/11/27/cnn-and-msnbc-lose-almost-half-their-viewers-one-year

It's been a tough year for the liberal cable news outlets.

Data released Tuesday show CNN shedding 48 percent of total viewers since last November and MSNBC dropping 45 percent.

The numbers were even worse in the all important demographic of people aged 25 to 54 as CNN's ratings dropped 59 percent and MSNBC's 52 percent.

That is amazing to me, that both news networks would loose half their viewers. Maybe people are just tired of watching negative news all the time.

Fox news is also loosing viewers, but not nearly as bad.

I wonder what people are doing instead?

Myself, I only read the news online. And I only watch Netflix in the evenings. Or I read... you know... paper style books (GASP! I know.... so old school).

• Like 3

Times are changing, people have more ways of getting the news than ever before, and better news coverage than what's available on TV, which is usually 30 second sound bytes. Used to be TV & newspapers & radio where main news sources, I think personal computers & the internet changed that. The networks are going to continue losing viewers if they don't adjust to the new marketplace.

• Like 1

People aren't watching the news on TV anymore because all they do is talk about politics and sad/depressing news and I think people are getting tired of that. I find that actually going to places like CNN's website is a lot better than their TV channel. Also, people who do internet news shows on places like YouTube are become much more popular now because the videos are usually 10 mins. long, they cover a lot of stories much quicker and the hosts are usually much more personable/likable than the robotic anchors on TV.

• Like 1

The internet is the reason. People are changing the way they watch tv.

However, I do think calling CNN 'liberal' is a bit of a stretch. They are far more mainstream than that. MSNBC, however, they certainly fit that bill.

• Like 1

internet. TV Is dying I think in general.

• Like 1

IMHO, if you watch the news on CNN, as an example, you are getting your news coloured by the beliefs/agenda/political leanings of the station's owners and managers, as is the case with all news stations. However, if you are getting your news via the internet, then you can get different angles (opposing or contrasting beliefs/agenda/political leanings) on the same story from a multitude of sources, yes, they may all be slanted but somewhere in there are the facts, and the facts enable you to form your own opinions as to what actually happened and why.

For me, this explains, at least the change in MY viewing habits, and perhaps many others.

• Like 4

Internet news is just as biased as television news, but because you can quickly get access to so much more of it you get a decent idea of what's going on.

• Like 3

The internet is the reason. People are changing the way they watch tv.

However, I do think calling CNN 'liberal' is a bit of a stretch. They are far more mainstream than that. MSNBC, however, they certainly fit that bill.

Thats probably true to some extent. But I dont think the internet is that much more popular then it was just a year ago. I dont think it explains how millions are abandoning main stream TV. I dont know to what extent this is true, but Id like to think people are leaving main stream cause people are waking up to the fact that its state sponcered and has become discredited. Cause as these main stream sources lose ground, alternative news is gaining it, big time.

Also, it probably has to do with the older generations passing away. Folks who were never gonna get a computer, and who watched main stream religiously for decades

• Like 3

Thats probably true to some extent. But I dont think the internet is that much more popular then it was just a year ago. I dont think it explains how millions are abandoning main stream TV. I dont know to what extent this is true, but Id like to think people are leaving main stream cause people are waking up to the fact that its state sponcered and has become discredited. Cause as these main stream sources lose ground, alternative news is gaining it, big time.

Also, it probably has to do with the older generations passing away. Folks who were never gonna get a computer, and who watched main stream religiously for decades

It's a combination of all your points, methinks. I believe Canada is up to 30% now for people leaving conventional TV and strictly using online services instead. It's an interesting shift for sure. I myself haven't subscribed to any TV packages for over 3 years now and I don't miss it. I have a small PC I built just to sit under my flatscreen and stream content. No commercials, no waiting; it's fantstic.

As my generation, "the internet generation", gets older and finds places of their own, I fully expect that the trend will continue.

One thing's for sure, long gone are the days when our news about the world came from a handful of broadcasters. It's much harder to control someone's point of view when they can instantly access a thousand other media outlets - and that is a big part of why there is such a shift in global consciouness...

• Like 1

I don't watch the national news at all, on any station., only watch the local stuff, usually for traffic reports, and most of the time I only watch the first ten to fifteen minutes of that. Granted I do not watch much TV at all . most of my free time is web related. there isn't ship to watch any more.

Television died when infomercials and reality TV appeared on the scene.

• Like 2

People are tired of being fed the B.S. that is main stream media. More and more people are seeing that basically they create and contol the so called "news". And the powers that be use it (media and certain news outlets) as means to control and manipulate. For example say they wanted an area for whatever reason cleared out but had to be incognito, say it was an area of ocean or beach. A sudden news story about toxic waste in the water, or report of increase in killer shark attacks,, and so on and so on. You get the point, the hidden hand uses the networks and other outlets as a pawn to control and herd the masses People are choosing where to get there news and are also doing research into what is considered news to them and not solely relying on these netwroks, which has showed them that these networks lie ,bend ,create ,fabricate, and omit what the news is to get the result they want , In my opinion. I know paranoid right. I hope im wrong, but dont think I am.

• Like 1

People are tired of being fed the B.S. that is main stream media. More and more people are seeing that basically they create and contol the so called "news". And the powers that be use it (media and certain news outlets) as means to control and manipulate. For example say they wanted an area for whatever reason cleared out but had to be incognito, say it was an area of ocean or beach. A sudden news story about toxic waste in the water, or report of increase in killer shark attacks,, and so on and so on. You get the point, the hidden hand uses the networks and other outlets as a pawn to control and herd the masses People are choosing where to get there news and are also doing research into what is considered news to them and not solely relying on these netwroks, which has showed them that these networks lie ,bend ,create ,fabricate, and omit what the news is to get the result they want , In my opinion. I know paranoid right. I hope im wrong, but dont think I am.

Everybody is running to Fox News.

Ratings are up for The Five, The Factor - O'Reilly - Megyn Kelly. :tu:

• Like 2

I think people are loosing confidence in the major outlets. The major stories are little more than repeating 'official' released statements.

Then the news personalities and their guests yak about it this way and that . Then they cover a Zoo incident or a Celebrity mishap and try to entertain us in various ways as they bore us into searching for some real news someplace else.

If i want entertainment, i'll watch a movie or something.. not the news.

• Like 1

What particularly bugs me is when they have a segment commenting on a certain persons controversial statements, without going into any detail whatsoever about what the statement was. It's the News not the Opinions.

Everybody is running to Fox News.

Ratings are up for The Five, The Factor - O'Reilly - Megyn Kelly. :tu:

Oh Ken. I feel sorry for you bro. Mostly cause I use to think exactly like you. I was a hard core republican neo con, just like you. Listen man, FOX is just as sold out, and government funded as any main stream media. Yes they are telling you things we conservatives want to hear. But it isnt real. Its a paradigm. A false left right paradigm. Think of it just like its professional wresling. So long as you are listening to main stream, ANY main stream, then you are being influanced by banksters, and corperations. Did you watch that documentary I posted for you called end game? At the top of the political ladder, there is no republicans or dems. Both are completly and totaly owned by special interests. Both have the same exact goals to accomplish, together. They just do their best to appear at odds, just like hulk hogan vrs the undertaker, or whatever. Aside from a very small handful, republicans are litteraly half the problem. And the media that represents the establishment republicans are just as bad as any other main stream media.

What sucks is, this is a very hard thing for folks who have been loyal to their party to see. You will probably respond in the same way I would have back in my neo con days. But Im not gonna give up on ya bro.

• Like 1

Oh Ken. I feel sorry for you bro. Mostly cause I use to think exactly like you. I was a hard core republican neo con, just like you. Listen man, FOX is just as sold out, and government funded as any main stream media. Yes they are telling you things we conservatives want to hear. But it isnt real. Its a paradigm. A false left right paradigm. Think of it just like its professional wresling. So long as you are listening to main stream, ANY main stream, then you are being influanced by banksters, and corperations. Did you watch that documentary I posted for you called end game? At the top of the political ladder, there is no republicans or dems. Both are completly and totaly owned by special interests. Both have the same exact goals to accomplish, together. They just do their best to appear at odds, just like hulk hogan vrs the undertaker, or whatever. Aside from a very small handful, republicans are litteraly half the problem. And the media that represents the establishment republicans are just as bad as any other main stream media.

What sucks is, this is a very hard thing for folks who have been loyal to their party to see. You will probably respond in the same way I would have back in my neo con days. But Im not gonna give up on ya bro.

I'll leave the door open for you to join The Tea Party.

We love the Sequester!

We also love the 2nd Amendment. :tu:

We are Pro Free Will : More Freedom : More Choices

I like to watch the local news a bit on TV. But I stay away from the news channels. I get a great deal of my news off the internet.

I've experienced the 24/7 news station playing while visiting a few different people. And it's all depressing. The same dozen or two stories recycled beyond death. Too much chattering commentary too. Maybe if they had more news it wouldn't be so bad.

• Like 3

I like to watch the local news a bit on TV. But I stay away from the news channels. I get a great deal of my news off the internet.

I've experienced the 24/7 news station playing while visiting a few different people. And it's all depressing. The same dozen or two stories recycled beyond death. Too much chattering commentary too. Maybe if they had more news it wouldn't be so bad.

It is quicker to just go to the Drudge Report. :tu:

Yes its the comentsry that spoils it for me, always rely on web based news now, been doing it for 10 years...

More sources, greater coverage and more interesting articles on non war, non corporate related stuff.

instantly clik away from sites that demand registration or payments and use places like UM to find more links to other countries...

I'll leave the door open for you to join The Tea Party.

We love the Sequester!

We also love the 2nd Amendment. :tu:

We are Pro Free Will : More Freedom : More Choices

I am the tea party. Not the Sarah Palin establishment tea party, but the grass roots anti GWB and anti 0bama tea party. The tea party that started under Bush when he exposed himself for the sold out piece of trash he is when he bailed out the banks at the tax payers expence. The tea party who homeland calls the greatest threat to the nation, cause we see all these crooks for who they are. Not just half of them. Who eventualy saw the 'patriot act' as the anti freedom tyrannical legislation it is. Who also saw how all main stream supported the lies that brought us to Iraq, and killed a million innocent people. You are close to seeing everthing for what it really is. But FOX news has made sure that you think Romney would have made a better president. This way when the next neo con president comes along it will be business as usual, and the same things you hated 0bama for (and rightfully so) you will support your party doing the same things.

• Like 2

I am the tea party. Not the Sarah Palin establishment tea party, but the grass roots anti GWB and anti 0bama tea party. The tea party that started under Bush when he exposed himself for the sold out piece of trash he is when he bailed out the banks at the tax payers expence. The tea party who homeland calls the greatest threat to the nation, cause we see all these crooks for who they are. Not just half of them. Who eventualy saw the 'patriot act' as the anti freedom tyrannical legislation it is. Who also saw how all main stream supported the lies that brought us to Iraq, and killed a million innocent people. You are close to seeing everthing for what it really is. But FOX news has made sure that you think Romney would have made a better president. This way when the next neo con president comes along it will be business as usual, and the same things you hated 0bama for (and rightfully so) you will support your party doing the same things.

Anybody would have made a better president than Obama.

YOU would have made a much better president than Obama.

Obama got re-elected with the help of a lie : If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.

Anybody would have made a better president than Obama.

YOU would have made a much better president than Obama.

Obama got re-elected with the help of a lie : If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.

You got 2 good eye's but they still dont see.

Since 95% of Americans are unaffected by the ACA, it would be you lying. The government doesn't guarantee employment or that private insurance companies would not drop plans. The only people who believe this simplistic lie are you.

I wonder if there was a corresponding growth in the viewer numbers for Al Jazeera and RT?

• Like 2