Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gellar rules out "Buffy" return

Althalus

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Put a stake in her -- Sarah Michelle Gellar's had enough of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer".

The actress has confirmed to producer Joss Whedon something most industry insiders have assumed for months -- that this season will be her last with the UPN series, people connected to the show said.

Her departure also means "Buffy" -- at least in its current incarnation -- will finish in May, something that's also not much of a surprise, given the show's apocalyptic storylines this season.

Still to be decided: whether the producers and UPN will proceed with a new "Buffy" spin-off, or whether the franchise will simply end.

WB Entertainment president Jordan Levin said Tuesday he is hopeful but not certain that "Angel", a "Buffy" spin-off launched in 1999, will be back next autumn.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Althalus

• Vox

• Kira

• FreyKade

Top Posters In This Topic

I really can't stress that it was about time that this show went "belly-up" for all our sakes . They have seriously tried to squeeze as much juice as they could from this series, but like all fantasy type shows they just keep on escalating into more intricate, and elaborate scenarios, which frankly lose all sense of meaning. Buffy started out quite promisingly (incidently so did Angel, the other Buffy Spin-off), with slaying creatures in her hometown, etc (even though it was blatantly obvious that the show was aimed at young teens, and not a mature audience). But just like the X-Files once they started mixing all these conspiracy theories into the storyline... miss an episode, and whoops! you can't follow it anymore...

They should make another spin-off out of Buffy, but this time make it more "adult orientated". I really don't know if any of you guys have ever heard of the white wolf RPG's, but they launched a Buffy-like one called Hunter: The Reckoning, well Hunter is based on gritty street like scenarios where you battle the minions from the World of Darkness (anything from Demons to Witches). However battaling these minions is not always "Heroic and Just" (as it is in Buffy) or is it as safe as it seems to be in Buffy (I really don't recall anyone dying in the series, except the occasional victim, but never anyone close to her). I truly beleive that there is an insane intelligence to evil, one that we would never comprehend, but alas in Buffy all the Demons are portrayed as dumb cattle, not as the psychotically deranged creatures that they should be. As a rule of thumb I usually think of the most atrocious acts a human being can commit, and then think to myself 'demons are worse'. In any case that's the sort of show I would like to see, not the watered down version that Buffy portrays, and remember it does not necessarily need to be bloody or gory to get the message across. Oh and I really dislike the fact that to defeat these creatures you have to be a superhero, and not an average person with the will to do so.

Well those are my ideas... sorry to have droned on like that!!!!!! biggrin.gif

Hmm reading a Joss Whedon interview in SFX magazine(JAN 2003). He did say that he was glad to see the end of Buffy esp as it had had to move from it's orignal Warner home. his words and I quote both q and a..... "Is this the final season of Buffy?" A: " God I hope so."

'Angel' as far as he was concerned would be still ongoing subject to contracts et al.

When asked if he would like to do another 'spin off' from 'Buffy' for example 'Faith the Vampire Slayer" with Eliza Dushku (if she would commit to it) the answer was "sure"

He is currently writting and directing a series called "firefly" but as to what that is, I'm not entirely sure....

wink.gif

Vox as strange as it may seem for a 34 year old to play Rpg but I have played and written stuff for RGP's such as Hunter: The Reckoning,Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse and Wraith not to metion other spin off from the World's of Darkness and yes you don't have to be an all powerful to start with. U work your way up.... Mind you I was sneaky when I was DM I had a Ventrue/Gangrel/ Sabbat Vampire < salook.gif > she was fun and liked to play with the hunters..... And as for the Denizens of the WOD they were not as dumb or easy to kill as it seems to be in Buffy. Yes I know it's only a programme but it sort of takes the fun out of it laugh.gif

Edited by Celticwitch_00

I agree with you Celtic. Even though I understand that it is a show made to entertain I really don't think Demons and the such should be downplayed in that fashion, it seriously takes out alot of the tribulations a hunter must face in his hunt, such as personal sacrifice and the like, which to my opinion makes for a more emotional and "real" character. In any case have you seen or played the new White Wolf RPG, Demon: The Fallen???? I want to know what it is about, and if possible getting a copy but I would be interested to know if you've had any experience with it. For that matter could anybody on the board who has played it give me a buzz, yeah?

Hehe...oh no God not a Spike spin off!!! ohmy.gif

I have to say that my favorite Buffy season was the one with Faith ( I think it's season 3 ) and the evil mayor...then I've begun to loose more and more interest in this series, prefering

ANGEL which is far better I think!

Faith the Vampires Slayer, hmm why not after all!

i think that buffy has got worse and worse through the years. im tlad they are finnishing it off. Ange, however, i think is much better