Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Comet ISON: RIP?

Waspie_Dwarf

Out to watch the sun rise, the happy sun.

• Like 2

A conspiracy? About a comet? Eh?

Glad I missed it before it was cleaned....

There are always conspiracies, but I must say I had read the thread yesterday and missed it, so it must have been a really secret one.
  • Like 2

Sooo... Do you have a naked eye comet? Yes, no, maybe?

What is going on? I havent seen it yet. It was meant to be visible in the southern hemisphere? or not? Im guessing so, we do see the same sun as you northern guys, right? Its 9am but the sun is invisible due to clouds...much less a comet.

we do see the same sun as you northern guys, right?

serious?

Absolutely fascinating! So, since it apparently survived and passed beyond the sun, where does it go now?

• Like 1

It was supposed to be highly visible in the northern hemisphere during December, starting before sunrise on Sunday. I'm not sure if anyone knows what made it through. Just got home from work so I haven't looked at anything yet.

Here's what Phil Plait is saying now.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy.html

Here's what NASA is saying.

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/comet-ison-may-have-survived/index.html#.Upk5JtJJPvM

Looks like it does have a tail forming. It may not be as visible as it was originally supposed to be.

Edited by susieice

ISON is one tough SOB. Even if it doesnt reach its forecasted luminesence I ve got my telescope ready to go! hope we get a good show. any info on its peak brightness?

• Like 2

Absolutely fascinating! So, since it apparently survived and passed beyond the sun, where does it go now?

Good question, since its mass has been altered, speed and trajectory will have been effected by the explosion as well!

• Like 1

i would i like to say a big thankyou to our sun for there is one less comet foating about up above i just like say sun well done you are a star

Edited by basshstreeteducated
  • Like 2

i would i like to say a big thankyou to our sun for there is one less comet foating about up above i just like say sun well done you are a star

ISON was never a threat, even if the entire nucleus had survived intact. It's orbit does not intersect that of Earth and it is in a hyperbolic course, in other words it will leave the solar system, never to return.

• Like 3

Observers have not yet recovered ISON after it rounded the Sun. The latest SOHO images do not show it. It is looking increasingly likely that it has not survived and that the "Comet of the Century" is no more.

You know if the comet blew apart then this video sure looks kinda odd.

• Like 2

ISON is one tough SOB. Even if it doesnt reach its forecasted luminesence I ve got my telescope ready to go! hope we get a good show. any info on its peak brightness?

It looks like the trajectory looks the same. There is no change. It's on the way.

Here is some 3D Spatial Visualization to help you see that Comet ISON will fly past Earth with a bright tail.

• Like 3

You should be able to see it without a telescope on Christmas Eve. Just look up.

• Like 2

The comet known As ISON does hold more interesting Events in the Near "Future."All the people that have been watching closely have observed very unusual activity.I'll drop a vid off youtube showing what im speaking of.

The comet known As ISON does hold more interesting Events in the Near "Future."All the people that have been watching closely have observed very unusual activity.I'll drop a vid off youtube showing what im speaking of.

The government is hiding something about the Comet ISON.

Go to the SDO site and try to watch a 2 day movie of our sun. November 27 - November 29

Many images have been removed !

• Like 1

CyberKen, Arkitech:

May I please remind you of what Saru said:

Any comments pertaining to a conspiratorial angle should be taken to the "Conspiracies and Secret Societies" section.

Thank you.

• Like 2

You should be able to see it without a telescope on Christmas Eve. Just look up.

I doubt that is going to happen.

The latest images from SOHO show that whatever survived is now dimming dramatically and dispersing. It certainly no longer looks comet like.

If any of the nucleus did survive it is looking increasingly likely that it has now disintegrated (although I've said that before and been wrong).

To paraphrase Ernst Stavro Blofeld to James Bond: "You only live twice Mr. ISON".

• Like 1

It seems as though you're right Waspie. It seems to have earned the name of Zombie ISON now.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/comet-isons-leftovers-fade-away-right-satellites-eyes-2D11674277

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/tag/comet-ison

This was one interesting comet to follow on it's progress. Much will be learned from this.

Are we still lined up to pass through whatever's left in January? Just curious.

Edited by susieice

Are we still lined up to pass through whatever's left in January? Just curious.

Earths' orbit does not intersect that of ISON, so we won't actually pass through the debris. There was an outside chance that some material might have drifted into Earth's path and caused a minor meteor shower, but this was always considered an outside chance.

• Like 2

The government is hiding something about the Comet ISON.

Go to the SDO site and try to watch a 2 day movie of our sun. November 27 - November 29

Many images have been removed !

Can you pls share yr findings? Which ones exactly have been removed?

Edited by toast