Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2012 YQ1

Fox M

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/We_have_93_years_left_till_the_next_End_of_the_World_killer_asteroid_to_hit_Earth_in_2106_999.html

This is a part of the article that the link is for:

Less than a month ago NASA announced that the Earth is in fact safe from the infamous asteroid, Apophis, which was expected to collide with our planet in 2036.

It is now reported that the chances of impact are lower than one in a million. Despite that good news, it turns out that any celebrations might be a little premature. Two weeks ago Russian astronomers Andrey Oreshko and Timur Kryachko discovered yet another asteroid, with the catchy name of 2012 YQ1, which will, in all likelihood, crash into Earth, but not until 2106.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my question Is will humankind survive this or will it be the end , whats your thought ?

Well, it's nowhere near the size of the dinosaur killer. When they say it will hit with the force of 25,000 atomic bombs are they talking about Hiroshima bombs? I think it may be survivable but "nuclear winter" may cause many millions to starve. Still with 93 years before impact it may be possible for NASA to come up with a way to redirect it.

• Like 2

Thank you Bison for setting it straight , your link seems to clear up the situation much better then mine.

Allthough he finishes with:

Having said all that, I’ll add that we can’t say for sure YQ1 won’t hit us. Without more observations we can’t say either way, just that no impact is the far, far more likely scenario.

------------------------------------------------

I think that its clear my reference was just trying to make headlines and i jumped the gun to soon :)

Dr. Phil Plait wrote that slightly tentative statement in February. I checked the NASA/JPL Horizons system for tracking asteroids. With additional observations through November 28th they put the nearest approach in 2106 at about 12 & 1/2 million miles, or around 52 times the distance to the Moon. Still technically a close approach of Earth, just not very close.

• Like 2

Dr. Phil Plait wrote that slightly tentative statement in February. I checked the NASA/JPL Horizons system for tracking asteroids. With additional observations through November 28th they put the nearest approach in 2106 at about 12 & 1/2 million miles, or around 52 times the distance to the Moon. Still technically a close approach of Earth, just not very close.

But today is/was a near but small one, just 0,4 LD (approx 152.000km) away from earth :

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/ 2013 WH25

• Like 1