Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Inner states

markdohle

For me, I guess the single most important thing for me is how I will face the day. All of our dialogue, debate and in-fighting are part of the process we call life. How can I make a difference if I as a man of faith, still see the absurdity of life. It all seems a blur to me at times. I believe that perspective can be chosen. Or to say it differently, we choose, often the habitual choice is of course easier. To change perspective can be more difficult. For instance it is easier I believe to become cyclical than trusting. Easier at times to close others off than to stay open. It is funny this, for when that happens in my life, when I retreat into anger, resentment or self pity, I am in actuality giving power over those who have attacked or hurt me in some way.

I do think in the political arena, a difficult subject for me to deal with, is a true testing ground for me. I do not wish to have contempt for politicians, yet I am constantly fighting this tendency. I want to stay hopeful, but fight despair over the state of the world as well as the way the United States is going. I think this shows me to be still naive as well as immature in many ways.

Inner states are important, for we interrupt reality by them. Some days I can’t tell what this state is, but then I meet someone and gauge my inner reaction and then it can be helpful to know what I need to look out for. Sometimes my head is not attached to my body, it floating above with a thin string to keep me connected, well, that is until I have a reaction and ‘wham bam’ my head is once again linked. Joy at being in the presence of another human being, or looking at the sun rise, or at a plant I have in my room, can reconnect me. So can frustration, anger, rage, lust…peace is also a good connector, bringing me to the moment, a moment of choice, a little one, a tiny itsy bitsy decision that is at end of a very long chain, that makes up my life. Yet each choice is also the beginning of another chain, both the end point of 64 years, as well as a new beginning. It is all the same, these inner states, though some are of course easier to ride out or to embrace than others.

My spiritual practice for 2013 is to stay out of resistance to what is, and it's been a challenge. As a friend of mine said, she guesses the universe has given me lots of opportunities to practice this. Anyhoo, what's happened, I think, is a sort of emotional detachment that allows me to see things if not more clearly, at least in a helpful way, and I'm less vulnerable to stimulus that evokes an emotional response. I could say a lot more about this, but it's Sunday, I'm feeling merciful.

• Like 1

My spiritual practice for 2013 is to stay out of resistance to what is, and it's been a challenge. As a friend of mine said, she guesses the universe has given me lots of opportunities to practice this. Anyhoo, what's happened, I think, is a sort of emotional detachment that allows me to see things if not more clearly, at least in a helpful way, and I'm less vulnerable to stimulus that evokes an emotional response. I could say a lot more about this, but it's Sunday, I'm feeling merciful.

Learning to step back, as I call it, does take practice.

Peace

Mark