Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Talking to God boosts self-control

Still Waters

Praying helps people stay in control of their emotions and behaviour, according to a new study.

People turn to prayer 'as a coping response to the high demands in life' and are rewarded with increased strength and ability to resist temptation, researchers said.

Previous findings have shown that when people try hard to control their emotions and thoughts, the risk of aggressive outbursts and binge drinking or eating rises.

http://www.dailymail...aims-study.html

• Like 3

So does that mean that there are no fat or drunken god fans?

• Like 2

There is a saying:

when you talk to god, you are praying, when you hear god talk to you, you are destined for the asylum.

• Like 1

This would explain the incredible levels of self control that Sampson Kanderayi, David Berkowitz and many others who talk to god on a frequent basis.

• Like 2

I like to drink...

I believe in the creator.

If God made alcohol and magic mushrooms..

he must have made them for me to eat them...

thank you.. case closed.

man makes rules and limitations...

God has no limits

• Like 1

There is a saying:

when you talk to god, you are praying, when you hear god talk to you, you are destined for the asylum.

I don't agree with that. God can and does speak to us, even while having a perfectly sane mind. The more clarity we have, the healthier we are, the better we can hear him.

It's when God starts answering that problems arise.

Isn't that the truth! If you perceive voices that aren't God, to the looney bin you go.

Then worse yet, what if it is God ... prophets don't seem fair well when trying to deliver the messages!

I don't think that it is TALKING to God that increase emotional control and behavior, it's MEDITATION.

We KNOW that meditation does these things.

Prayer is very much like meditation in this sense.

I think that anyone who takes a few moments of quiet reflection here and there will gain some sense of control over their emotions and action, whether that quiet reflection involves praying to God or just deep breathing exercises.

• Like 1

I don't agree with that. God can and does speak to us, even while having a perfectly sane mind. The more clarity we have, the healthier we are, the better we can hear him.

I do not necessarily think so either, what ever floats someones boat really.

But if someone said they were hearing voices and god was part of that conversation, then it would not be me sending them to the loony bin, it would be society...........most will just ignore them and call them a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but then we have the likes of these, (below) and then it gets dangerous and because of these people, when ever someone says that god has spoken to them, alarm bells start ringing.

Julio Blanco Garcia

Peter Sutcliffe

Joseph Cecil

there are many more, but the point is made.

As i have said, to me, people have a right to believe in what they like, but with the history of many of these god hearing killers, there is a bit of a taboo when it comes to "hearing god" in certain walks of society.

• Like 1

Reminds me of a quote from Braveheart, from the wonderful Stephen of Ireland; "In order to find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God."

• 5 weeks later...

From a spiritual and Christian standpoint, I would have to say this makes total sense for various reasons.

1.) When one is willing to give themselves completely over to God, that is when He starts living WITHIN us. God is one of pure love, and all things good. God does not sin.

2.) Once a person allows God into their life, they begin to live FOR God and no longer for themselves. Knowing that God is a sinless God, that person learns to rely on His Word.

3.) Knowing that God came to us in the flesh (as Jesus) and confronted the very same temptations that we confront on a daily basis is also knowing that He lived that sinless life, and had self control.

Ultimately, allowing that sinless sprit of God within us, allows us to have a better handle on our own control. We know that God wouldn't sin, and being children of God, we try to follow His example.

Love it!

Meditation and self-talks do the same thing. If God does answer prayer then you'll find yourself in the right place at the right time when you need it. I'm spiritual (not religious) enough to know that "god" doesn't just give you stuff cause you asked for it.

Makes sense. When you pray you are essentially coaching yourself. When the prayer is done, you have hope and a positive mental attitude towards whatever your problem might have been.

Ergo, it's a fantastic way to "make lemonade"

God is one of pure love, and all things good. God does not sin.

May I ask you something?

Would you consider it a sin if I saw a child starving in the street, and I had the means to feed them, and they asked me for some food, but I let them starve?

• Like 1

Some schools of thought consider us mini-god's. So if you neglected the starving children the the weight of your sin (guilt) would weigh on you. If you even felt guilt at all. Depends on what type of "god" you want to be. A god of love or malice.

I don't want to be any kind of God. I would like to believe that I would try to save a starving kid if I had the ability to do so.

Would I prevent the child from starving to death if I was a "god of love?"

I use that term because of the power we have to make choices. Each choice leads to actions that effect the world around us. Every thought we think is a potential future.

Too many evil d-bags in the world why not change the status quota. I'd help, just cause I could. Wouldn't be the first nor last time I help another human out.

May I ask you something?

Would you consider it a sin if I saw a child starving in the street, and I had the means to feed them, and they asked me for some food, but I let them starve?

Would I consider it a sin? No.

It is my belief that everyone has their own path to follow. They are given opportunities in their lives to follow God's path, or to follow their own path. God has given us free will to make choices like the example you stated. While I myself would say it wouldn't be a sin, I WOULD say that by choosing to let them starve KNOWING you had the means to help, would cause you to move further off God's path of purity and grace.

But again, this is why we were all given free will. In the end, everyone makes their own choices.