Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amazon.. Parcel delivery by drone

seeder

Amazon announces delivery by DRONE: Online retailer claims airborne robots will bring packages to your door in 30 minutes

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos has announced the online retailer has secretly been testing drones that will delivery packages directly to people's doors

Project is at least five years from reality due to still-to-be-determined FAA regulations

The operation has been under development at a special lab in Seattle for some time

Bezos says they hope the 'octopters' will be fully operational in 'four to five years', with approval from the US Federal Aviation Authority being seen as the biggest hurdle

The company maintain that 'although it looks like science fiction, it is not'

The announcement has been met with a variety of criticism online

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2mIypwKGU

More jobs lost then...

Edited by seeder

I don't know, this seems like a really expensive shipping method. I'm sure the slower and cheaper ones will still be around for some time.

More jobs lost then...

I dont think so because not every lousy parchel will be delivered by air and the drones must be operated somehow.

But one is for sure. Clay-pigeon shooting will become much popular, but without clay-pigeons.

• Like 1

yes, i was just looking at this. I'm really not sure about the from a health & safety point of view. They say that Bezos said that the octocoptors would be autonomous so would not need a pilot to guide them, but that would seem to be a whole new can of fish or kettle of worms, wouldn't it. Autonomous robots buzzing about in the skies over cities in their thousands? It all sounds decidedly risky, if you ask me.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 1

Although the Amazon chappie does says that if it does come off, it might reduce traffic & emissions, which is something worth thinking about, perhaps.

Although the Amazon chappie does says that if it does come off, it might reduce traffic & emissions, which is something worth thinking about, perhaps.

but then you have lots of low level flying traffic, what happens if they have to cross an airport or base? or if the weather is bad?

• Like 1

I dont think it will get licensed, not in the UK anyway... it may open the door to UK based terrorism

I dont think it will get licensed, not in the UK anyway... it may open the door to UK based terrorism

they can still do that with or without a license, using RC planes or RC cars. Though people will moan about it "Its scaring the birds" etc

• Like 1

they can still do that with or without a license, using RC planes or RC cars. Though people will moan about it "Its scaring the birds" etc

No doubt killing a few birds, hopefully starlings.

I would say probably you avoid airports and don't deliver on bad weather days.

oh dear, imagine the problems with backlogs over Christmas or Thanksgiving or whatever...

oh dear, imagine the problems with backlogs over Christmas or Thanksgiving or whatever...

And will they send a drone to collect it if the item isnt suitable :lol:

they can still do that with or without a license, using RC planes (...)

You are wrong :

Check FAQ : Do I need to get approval from the FAA to fly a model aircraft for recreation?

FAA :No. FAA guidance does not address size of the model aircraft. FAA guidance says that model aircraft flights should be kept below 400 feet above ground level (AGL), should be flown a sufficient distance from populated areas and full scale aircraft, and are not for business purposes.

http://www.faa.gov/a...as/uas_faq/#Qn1

Edited by toast

No change from now.

I do worry about all this technology replacing people. If computers and machines do all the work, who is going to be able to make any money to buy stuff?

• Like 1

Brilliant marketing! I know at least one husband, and I predict a lot of kids, who'll be ordering from Amazon on a frequent basis!

Heck, I'll want to see the device deliver me stuff too!

This sounds way too dangerous .. too many obstacles in a typical neighborhood.

This sounds way too dangerous .. too many obstacles in a typical neighborhood.

I think safer than dodging delivery vans.
  • Like 1

Oh yeh, a drone heading straight for my front door - that'll make me feel all warm inside - not.

• Like 1

Delivery vans have been known to do such things. Frankly I prefer a well tested computer to a teenager driving the thing.

• Like 1

These things will be getting shot down left, right and centre. The parcels will get stolen. It will be like a scene from Mad Max or something.

We have come a long way from carrier pigeons, Soon we could be seeing UPS Brown Bird, FedEx Snowy Owl, and Amazon Green Parrot Prime delivery. Uh, there will be a slight delay in your delivery due to congested air space.

If someone starts an owl delivery service they are going to have to pay royalties to Ms Rowling.

If someone starts an owl delivery service they are going to have to pay royalties to Ms Rowling.

And to buy owls from the Tyrell Corporation in future.

Edited by toast

Sounds like a covert way to "market" the use of drones by making them seem "helpful" and even friendly thereby making us all "accustomed" to having radio controlled devices zipping around. Then it will be hoped we won't mind it when the police or military use it to kill people.

It will get to the point where we will be ordered to obey the commands of a machine and if not..well, you know what will happen.

It may be just a "project" but I do not see much good coming from it considering all the controversy surrounding it to begin with.

(you know, wars and all)

Now owls I wouldn't mind.