Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hand over your friends for drink driving

Still Waters

Revellers are being offered up to £200 to report their friends who drink and drive this Christmas.

Police have announced the move in a crackdown on intoxicated drivers who get behind the wheel.

Anyone who reports their friends will be rewarded up to £200 if they're eventually charged and prosecuted.

http://www.telegraph...Police-say.html

NO WAY, true friends would not let them drive in the first place and take their keys off them, not only for their safety, but the safety of others.

If anyone is prepared to allow them to get into a car THEN call the police, then they are just as bad as them.

IMO

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 6

Instead of turning a friend in why not give them a ride or let them spend the night.

• Like 3

Instead of turning a friend in why not give them a ride or let them spend the night.

My guess is it's because the impaired driver is too impaired to realize they are impaired. Most drunks simply won't allow someone else to drive them. But the offer must be made. I agree that if someone drinks with or allows someone to drink with them at their home they are just as responsible morally if another innocent is killed or maimed by the drunk.

My guess is it's because the impaired driver is too impaired to realize they are impaired. Most drunks simply won't allow someone else to drive them. But the offer must be made. I agree that if someone drinks with or allows someone to drink with them at their home they are just as responsible morally if another innocent is killed or maimed by the drunk.

Must admit it's hard to talk sense to a drunk, and I've been on both sides of the conversation! It's hard to turn a friend in, but if it saves an accident from happening then it's the only way. Of course the easy answer is designated driver or a taxi.

The thing is, you can not turn them in if they have not got into the car, cos the police will not do anything, so letting then drive, risking themselves and others, seems to be the worse option, and yet this is what they want people to do....allow them to drive, then they nick them....hopefully before they kill someone.

I would rather, with the help of others, if need be, NOT let them put the keys into the ignition in the first place.

All we ask of the police, is not money, but not to be arrested ourselves if we have to tie our friend up to save his life.

Saying that, I guess there will be many out there who will love the extra 200 over the xmas period, just reporting a drunk driver should bring in the calls. If i see a drunk driver and he was not a friend of mine, would I call the police, yep, sure would. LMGREEDY-UP.gif

The trouble is those doing the reporting could also be drunk themselves, and not exactly thinking straight about what the best options are. I imagine there'll be a few broken friendships as a result of this new 'incentive'.

• Like 1

shouldn't cops have sufficient evidence\proof, that someone actually was driving drunk, as opposed to someone accusing them to do so? for all we know ppl will report on someone they don't like just to get them in trobble.

• Like 1

shouldn't cops have sufficient evidence\proof, that someone actually was driving drunk, as opposed to someone accusing them to do so? for all we know ppl will report on someone they don't like just to get them in trobble.

They will, they are just asking that if you know someone is drunk and has got in a car then a simple call saying "a car with the registration **** *** is heading down whatever road with a drunk driver"...then they look out for it, pull it over and test them.

Edited by Sky Scanner
  • Like 1

They will pull over the car if reported and do the tests, exactly as Sky Scanner has said. If the person is not drunk, off they go, if they are, then, liked or not liked by the reporter, they get what they deserve, hopefully they are caught in time before they can do any damage to some innocent persons life.

No drunk, no trouble.

Revellers are being offered up to £200 to report their friends who drink and drive this Christmas.

Police have announced the move in a crackdown on intoxicated drivers who get behind the wheel.

Anyone who reports their friends will be rewarded up to £200 if they're eventually charged and prosecuted.

http://www.telegraph...Police-say.html

Kinda hope we start doing this in America.

Ill get people drunk, and make them drive just to collect.

Can't "grass" on your mates but you can disable the car.

• Like 1

NO WAY, true friends would not let them drive in the first place and take their keys off them, not only for their safety, but the safety of others.

If anyone is prepared to allow them to get into a car THEN call the police, then they are just as bad as them.

IMO

a few years ago now, we had a works night out a mate had one to many (he was only going to have one and then get off) but - to our surprise he tried to drive home. we tried to take the keys off him, i dont drink so i even offered to drive him home. ( i was the designated driver) but he was having none of it, he turned a bit violent so he jumped in his car and was sat there for about 5 mins, so we went over to talk him out of it, at that point he started the engine and drove off. i knew the route he'd take and phoned the police. who i have to say arrived quick, he'd gone less than a mile when the police turned up, (they appeared at the roundabout) but with my mate being drunk, when he spotted the police car he tried to play it cool, and in doing so went the wrong way around the rounadbout knocking down the arrow sign/light on the roundabout, still trying to play it cool and front bumper half hanging off tried to disguise himself by trying to drive into someones drive way - like he lived there - in doing he misjudged the gap and hit the garden gate post, stalled the car and got out at that point the police moved in.

Banned for 2 years and got points, to this day he still doesn't know it was us who phoned the police. we told him it was most probably a taxi driver. :tu: matters could have been worse - he resisted arrest and had a scuffle with the police, he was also arrested for assaulting a police officer, but the copper visited him before he clocked off and told him he'd drop the assault charge. :innocent: for the record he was ashamed and couldn't hardly remember any of it. - we still take the p*** out of him, its our works Christmas night out next Friday 13th. he's going, but definitely not bringing his car. :tu:

edit to add, luckily the roads were empty and all happened at a low speed about 20mph.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 3

Yep Steve point taken,but you could have saved all the hassle and your mate being "done", all it takes is a wet handkerchief or a sock stuffed into the exhaust pipe and the car wont start, if your mate was sloshed he wouldn't be aware that this had been done,and you could have got him home safely.The hanky could be removed later with a bent wire.

• Like 2

Which reminds me... I need to get more girl friends :innocent::whistle:

I was going to discourage my friends from driving while drunk, now I think I will let them drive and collect the cash... ;)

• Like 2

I was going to discourage my friends from driving while drunk, now I think I will let them drive and collect the cash... ;)

Mercenary eh !
  • Like 2

Yep Steve point taken,but you could have saved all the hassle and your mate being "done", all it takes is a wet handkerchief or a sock stuffed into the exhaust pipe and the car wont start, if your mate was sloshed he wouldn't be aware that this had been done,and you could have got him home safely.The hanky could be removed later with a bent wire.

not a bad idea never thought of that myself. but one slight problem, who carries handkerchiefs? maybe a sock? would that work?, readily available most people carry two. :tsu: plus might have a fancy car with two exhausts. :w00t:

Edited by stevewinn

Strange that you can shop a drink driver (which is good) but if you report somebody for driving without road tax, insurance or even a licence you get the 'sorry we have to catch them in the act and we don't dispatch cars solely for this'.

• Like 2

Strange that you can shop a drink driver (which is good) but if you report somebody for driving without road tax, insurance or even a licence you get the 'sorry we have to catch them in the act and we don't dispatch cars solely for this'.

Would their attitude be that a lack of licence or insurance doesn't affect your driving ability, but alcohol does?

I remember reading an article in a newspaper about the 20th anniversary of the introduction of random breath testing (RBT) in New South Wales, written by the Police Minister of the time. He described how, in addition to plenty of abusive letters and phone calls, he got a query from an elderly gentleman asking for confirmation that people driving home from lawn bowls clubs were exempt from RBT if they were wearing lawn bowls clothes (that is, white clothes and shoes) - no they weren't.

Of course, RBT led to a big drop in road deaths across Australia, although I understand it can't/won't be introduced in the USA.

Meanwhile, we continue to receive a steady diet of advertisements about drink driving, some shocking and some amusing, like the 'Plan B' one:

Would their attitude be that a lack of licence or insurance doesn't affect your driving ability, but alcohol does?

I agree, however the lack of either one invalidates insurance. Meaning if you get knocked down and severely injured you would have the long process of an MIB claim. I watch night after night a young man drive out in an untaxed, uninsured vehicle and have done for the last 6 months.

I can't agree with you about licence. Somebody how has chosen to take to the roads with no training or a test of their skills could be equally as lethal as somebody who has had a skinful.

The problem with drink driving is it is only intensively tackled around Xmas time. The rest of the year the police rely on automated cameras to tackle road crime. Cameras don't catch drink drivers, poorly maintained vehicles, unlicensed drivers and various other things.

I'm in the west mids, Could be a chance to earn some money!!! Just kidding, I would never let a friend get behind the wheel whilst drunk, What sort of a friend would I be. Its a silly idea. There are people I know who would take advantage of this and actually encourage their "friends" to drink and drive in order to report them and bag the money. Sad but true.

...I would never let a friend get behind the wheel whilst drunk, What sort of a friend would I be.

What you're doing is the sign of a good friend.

Its a silly idea. There are people I know who would take advantage of this and actually encourage their "friends" to drink and drive in order to report them and bag the money. Sad but true.

With respect I don't think it's a silly idea.

If you do all you can to stop a drunk friend from driving, and they still drive off, what do you do? Calling the police to intercept them and get them off the road is still a sign you're a good friend. If you happen to get some money as a reward for doing so, then I think you deserve it.

What you're doing is the sign of a good friend.

With respect I don't think it's a silly idea.

If you do all you can to stop a drunk friend from driving, and they still drive off, what do you do? Calling the police to intercept them and get them off the road is still a sign you're a good friend. If you happen to get some money as a reward for doing so, then I think you deserve it.

Point taken, But I still think there are some people that will encourage their mates to drink and drive in order to get the money.

Point taken, But I still think there are some people that will encourage their mates to drink and drive in order to get the money.

Unlikely but possible in today's society. I think one of the stumbling blocks is the use of the word 'mates'...