Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unknown Creature Draws Crowd Along River

Still Waters

I say giant catfish or giant ray, there have been catches and sightings of both kinds of fish in that part of the world, Wouldn't be surprised if it was

It's movement and buoyancy didn't seem natural at all. Although whatever it was may have been sick or injured.

• Like 2

I do think that it's a fish, but probably not a mekong giant catfish or stringray because the shape of the fins don't seem to match. If I had to take a guess, the shape does kind of resemble the anal/dorsal fin of an arapaima which is a giant armored fish that lives in the Amazon. There are ponds in Thailand that are stocked with them for sport fishing. Maybe a giant snakehead fish? Trying to get a good look from the video, but the shaky cam is giving me Blair Witch motion sickness.

It's movement and buoyancy didn't seem natural at all. Although whatever it was may have been sick or injured.

I agree. Seems like it's being puppetted, especially the way it drops straight up and down. Scuba diver with a dead fish?

Edited by PlanB

I agree. Seems like it's being puppetted, especially the way it drops straight up and down. Scuba diver with a dead fish?

That thought had crossed my mind though I didn't notice any obvious evidence of that.

This is what struck me too. I even thought mechanical.

I couldn't make it out as a "giant" as claimed or get a good idea of what I was looking at.

My vision and the filming are not a good match for making out much of anything on this one.

It's some kind of poor sick fish. I don't know enough about the Mekong giant catfish to know if that is what it is...

Shouldn't some Party Official come along and get those people back to performing the People's work?

It's some kind of poor sick fish. I don't know enough about the Mekong giant catfish to know if that is what it is...

Shouldn't some Party Official come along and get those people back to performing the People's work?

:clap::nw:

And, Giant?

See bigger then that during the Salmon runs.

• Like 1

Looks like something someone made in their toolshed, suspended by rope across the river. Pull the rope, it breaks the water's surface, relax the rope, it submerges. I mean come on, that "tail" flap is severely hingy...

:clap::nw:

And, Giant?

See bigger then that during the Salmon runs.

Some can get pretty big....

mekong-giant-catfish.jpg

mekong-giant-catfish_627_600x450.jpg

Edited by DieChecker

Looks like an injured fish fighting against the current to me. My guess is identification will be impossible because its been mangled by a prop.

I do think that it's a fish, but probably not a mekong giant catfish or stringray because the shape of the fins don't seem to match. If I had to take a guess, the shape does kind of resemble the anal/dorsal fin of an arapaima which is a giant armored fish that lives in the Amazon. There are ponds in Thailand that are stocked with them for sport fishing. Maybe a giant snakehead fish? Trying to get a good look from the video, but the shaky cam is giving me Blair Witch motion sickness.

I thought about a scuba diver but there were no air bubbles.

Maybe a remote control device?

the mothions seemed unnatural, mechanical.

Looks like Nessie is lost.

Seems like a hoax to me. It doesn't seem to move up or downstream when it moves it's fins.

As an aside, doesn't that seem like an awful lot of people for not much of a show? What I remember about Thais (I was there during the Vietnam War) is that they loved a party, but even so that's quite a crowd gathered just to watch water get splashed. I just wonder if there isn't some backstory that would explain the apparent story away.

As an aside, doesn't that seem like an awful lot of people for not much of a show? What I remember about Thais (I was there during the Vietnam War) is that they loved a party, but even so that's quite a crowd gathered just to watch water get splashed. I just wonder if there isn't some backstory that would explain the apparent story away.

Must be pretty boring in the village.