Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the Libertarian Era Upon Us?

Kowalski

Fox Business anchor John Stossel produced a show documenting the rise of libertarianism recently. He opens the show with a montage featuring the attack by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie‘s attack on Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) and the “dangerous” strand of libertarianism in the Republican Party.

Stossel also featured a quote by Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, who represents the portion of the conservative and Tea Party movement that have a big tent policy towards ‘Ron Paul‘ styled libertarians in the GOP.

Stossel produces an honest television show, with plenty of skepticism and playing of devil’s advocate against libertarian positions. He criticizes Reason Magazine’s Nick Gillespie & Matt Welch, who claim that it’s a “libertarian era”.

I think Americans confuse libertarian and “libertine,” Stossel says.

Gillespie responded, “The fact is if you believe in social tolerance, you’re going to have to put up with a lot of lifestyles that you yourself may not choose. You get more peace by allowing people to go about their business as long as their not forcing it on other people. And if that means sometimes you have to look away, well do it, that’s not so bad.”

Stossel played a clip of Ann Coulter calling libertarians “pu**ies* and asked Welch to respond. Welch stated that Coulter doesn’t see libertarians as useful at all moments in her “war against liberal democrats.” Welch says that libertarians aren’t involved in politics just to suck up to anybody, but because we generally believe it is a genuinely bad idea when government gets involved in your personal decisions. He reminded viewers that it’s also a conservative position as well.

Read more at TLR: Is the libertarian era upon us? (VIDEO) | The Libertarian Republic http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/libertarian-era-upon-us-video/#ixzz2mM7C7kM2

Follow us: @LibRepublic on Twitter | LibertarianRepublic on Facebook

Link to video:

Link:

In a word, yes. The generation...whatevers have made this the age of Libertarianism

• Like 2

I think my aged generation is mostly libertarian, we all just don't realize it yet but talk to young people and you will be surprised how libertarian people are starting to be . Grow up in the world we grew up in/still growing up in and you would end up libertarian too.

Time will tell though if it is just a blip or the start of a era.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

I think my aged generation is mostly libertarian, we all just don't realize it yet but talk to young people and you will be surprised how libertarian people are starting to be . Grow up in the world we grew up in/still growing up in and you would end up libertarian too.

Time will tell though if it is just a blip or the start of a era.

People our age are either Libertarian, or they don't know their ass from their elbow.

That seems to be what I gather. I don't know too many Independent's my age.

• Like 2

I don't consider myself a Libertarian, but I do see a deffinite shift in that direction for conservatives.

Conversely I think more liberals are also shifting further left, aside from moderate liberals, who are beginning to shift towards a more moderate to moderate-conservative stance.

Current political groups in power just haven't been effective in carrying out what the public at large expected so I think its expected that people would look to different means.

• Like 2

Stossel produces an honest television show

I thought so, many years ago. Now, his stories are mostly complete fabrications.

I asked the late teens and early 20 somethings that I know if they voted this year, and every single one looked at me quizzically and said no. I don't beleive that the slackers of this current upcoming generation are any more motivated then any other. Unless you can figure out how for them to vote by Texting, their political power is very low.

Maybe in a Presidential election year they might get excited, but then there is only two of those usually in a generation.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

I totally agree with that.

They'll post about the occupy movement, or Ron Paul quotes on Facebook, but i dont think they'll bother with the voting process or taking the time to listen to the candidates outside of rhetoric.

• Like 1

More and more people that I know - both Dems and Reps - are shifting in that direction. But I think we're a long way from a viable Libertarian party. People are just too conditioned to pull the Dem or Rep lever. My concern is that we're just going to have the same old politicians simply wrapping themselves in a Libertarian wrapper simply to get votes.

• Like 2