Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kerry blasts Bush for 'silences'

Talon

Kerry blasts Bush for 'silences'

Democrat White House hopeful John Kerry has accused President George W Bush of keeping secrets from US voters, exactly one week before the election.

Both men started their day in Wisconsin but while Mr Bush focused on the economy, Mr Kerry again criticised his rival's handling of the war in Iraq.

He berated Mr Bush for not discussing a missing cache of explosives and queried what else he was not talking about.

With the race still so close, the final campaigning is getting yet more bitter.

Questions

In a second day of blistering attacks, Mr Kerry again focused on reports about the 350 metric tons of explosives that went missing after the US-led invasion of Iraq.

"What did the president have to say about the missing explosives? Not a word. Complete silence," Mr Kerry said in Green Bay.

He then quoted a Washington Post report that the Bush administration would seek new funding for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We have learned that the president wants an additional $70bn of your money by early next year for Iraq and Afghanistan, bringing the total cost to $225bn," Mr Kerry said.

"Mr President, what else are you being silent about? What else are you keeping from the American people? How much more will the American people have to pay?"

The non-partisan organisation Factcheck.org says Mr Kerry has consistently overstated the amount actually spent on the Iraq war to date.

While Mr Bush has not commented on the missing materiel, his aides seized on another news report that the explosives were missing when US forces arrived at the Iraqi base the day after the fall of Baghdad. However, it remains unclear if the stockpile had already been stolen or just not found at that time.

Targeting Democrats

Mr Kerry left Wisconsin, to travel to Nevada, New Mexico and Iowa on Tuesday, while Mr Bush was spending most of his day in Wisconsin.

All are seen as swing states that could be won by either candidate and may make the difference in the overall election.

Correspondents say that, with the race so tight, campaign strategists are not just focusing on key states, but also specific counties within those states and even individual towns where they believe a candidate's appearance can make a difference.

They add that Wisconsin, with its 10 electoral votes, is becoming as keenly fought over as "the big three" swing states of Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

The Kerry campaign announced on Tuesday that rocker Bruce Springsteen would appear with Mr Kerry at rallies in Wisconsin and Ohio later this week.

Mr Bush appealed to conservative Democrats in his first of three rallies during a bus trip in Wisconsin, a state he lost by just 5,708 votes in the 2000 election.

He told supporters in Onalaska that Mr Kerry's career in the Senate showed he was not part of the Democratic Party of Presidents Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman and John F Kennedy.

"With that record, he stands in opposition not just to me, but to the great tradition of the Democratic Party," he said, repeating a criticism touted to voters in Iowa on Monday.

Nationally, opinion polls show Mr Bush with a slight - but statistically insignificant - lead over Mr Kerry, though that position is reversed in some of the battleground states.

And in a sign that the election will remain unpredictable, new surveys indicate that voters in what had expected to be a safe Democrat hold in Hawaii may yet pick Mr Bush, while it may also be close in Arkansas - previously thought to be solidly in the Republican column.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...cas/3955151.stm

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• Fluffybunny

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had a dime for every time a candidate "blasted" another candidate... rolleyes.gif

These two yahoos have managed to put on the most childish bid for president that I have ever seen...it is horrible. It appears to me that the sole focus of both camps is to go out and talk about how badly the other guy is doing or has done.

Nevermind actually talking about what they can actually do, it is always about what the other guy can't do.

Neither deserve to be the leader of the free world.

At what point did running for president start to sound like a childhood argument?

-No you didn't

-Yes I did

-No you didn't

-Yes I did

You were wrong!

No, You were wrong!

You did it wrong!

-No I didn't.

-Yes you did

Nuh-uh...

Uh-huh...

Thank you and that concludes the fourth and final presidential debate. Mass exodus from the country will begin first thing in the morning, and we will be handing out the "We Love Canada" buttons on the way out the door.

Yeah, its just getting annoying now. Hurry up, vote US-dictator for next 4 years, be done with it. sad.gif