Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amazing Stuff

SHaYap

Even for the undeniably powerful Mother Nature, creating something this arty wasn’t easy. It in fact took 24 million years of painstakingly laying down mineral deposits to form these rocks, like pouring different colours of sand into a jar. Over time these weighty layers were compressed into rock, and then a slight and unthinkably slow ripple from the collision of the Indo-Australian and Eurasian tectonic plates rumpled the landscape into those magnificent undulations to complete the effect (meanwhile also giving rise to the Himalayas). Thus the amazingness of Zhangye Danxia was formed.

~

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted image
  • Like 5

I've been there and the colors were not quite so spectacular. I think the photographer must have waited hours or days or weeks to get just the right sun and atmosphere conditions. Still it is a wonderful thing to see.

The Arizona painted desert is similar.

• Like 1

Beautiful :tu:

If you follow one of the source links at the bottom of the article it directs you to more pictures -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/9550531/Colourful-rock-formations-in-the-Zhangye-Danxia-Landform-Geological-Park.html?frame=2343145

• Like 1

The Arizona version ain't bad too ... :yes:

I've been there and the colors were not quite so spectacular. I think the photographer must have waited hours or days or weeks to get just the right sun and atmosphere conditions.

Or they used Photoshop to enhance the colours.

"like pouring different colours of sand into a jar"

exactly what it reminded me of

Stunning!

I was trying to think what it reminded me of and you nailed it. :tu:

Nice find third_eye :tu:

• Like 1