Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years!

skookum

Hurray!!!

Finally some common sense from a useless object. Further more you will be able to pay by direct debit monthly. For me with an older car that has a ridiculous tax band this is very welcome when things are financially very tough.

I received a fine a few months back for failing to display a disc even though the car was taxed. It had fallen off the window and I didn't notice so I was fined £100, not best pleased as you can imagine as the police rely on electronic methods to check excise duty is paid. I was unlucky enough to get a newbie probably trying to get his monthly quota of busts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25223631

• Like 3

I've always wondered why this was never an option before, As for you being fined, What a crock of, erm, poo, Any excuse to screw more money out us!

• Like 1

If a car is stopped nowadays for not displaying a Tax Disc it usually means that the person driving has no insurance (mandatory),when applying for a disc,so how will they get around this problem.When the car is scrapped take off the number plates and use them on your "new" 2nd hand car,so the guys who have no insurance can still drive around with no insurance.

• Like 1

The disc was introduced in 1921 but officials say it is no longer needed with the DVLA and police now relying on an electronic register.

I've been renewing ours online, it's much easier. During the process they do an automatic check for your insurance and MOT so they know everything is up to date before accepting payment.

• Like 1

If a car is stopped nowadays for not displaying a Tax Disc it usually means that the person driving has no insurance (mandatory),when applying for a disc,so how will they get around this problem.

No idea, but they need to amend the whole system as the current system is rubbish. One of my cars is off road for 9-10months of the year, i'm constantly modifying and upgrading the engine/suspension etc....then when I want to use it I insure it through a firm that deals with modified cars, and it's on the road for a month or two, then back off road and being worked on again.

The current system doesn't let me keep it up to date (tax disk wise) because I need an insurance certificate to obtain one, so I have to go through the whole rigmarole every time, it's a pointless and ridiculous way of doing it.

Edited by Sky Scanner

I've been renewing ours online, it's much easier. During the process they do an automatic check for your insurance and MOT so they know everything is up to date before accepting payment.

I do the same but what about the guys who have no tax disc to start with.They get an old banger which has been deleted from the Computer system as scrapped,change the plates to their current car then drive around until they get caught (if they dont get caught for a road offence they will never pay insurance).The system is faulty to start with as I've seen a car recently with a disc 2010.

In the states it's a bit different... At the time you purchase your license plates, you pay your yearly tax-

My vehicle (a 2004 SUV) cost $64 a year in road tax...

As to insurance, you need proof of insurance to be issued a license plate, and the insurance company

notifies the state if your insurance lapses or you fail to renew...

In the states it's a bit different... At the time you purchase your license plates, you pay your yearly tax-

My vehicle (a 2004 SUV) cost $64 a year in road tax...

As to insurance, you need proof of insurance to be issued a license plate, and the insurance company

notifies the state if your insurance lapses or you fail to renew...

$64 a year, I could only dream of that.

My 2.5 litre Alfa Romeo is £260 a year or about $425!!

Of course it is all in the name of the environment even though I could probably drive it another 12 years and still not produce the amount of pollution it would make to scrap it and build a new electric car.

• Like 1

$64 a year, I could only dream of that.

My 2.5 litre Alfa Romeo is £260 a year or about $425!!

Of course it is all in the name of the environment even though I could probably drive it another 12 years and still not produce the amount of pollution it would make to scrap it and build a new electric car.

Basically the older the car the less the tax... it goes down (slightly) each year until it reaches a minimum - which IIRC here in Oklahoma is $25... The first year is (obviously) the priciest - about $120 (depending on the car of course)...

It's pretty inexpensive to live here (gas is currently $2.74 a gallon - 1.68 British pounds)... My dad lived in Kansas (just north of here) and his yearly car tax was $400 dollars - based on the

original price of the car and never went down (to hear him tell it) - lots of Kansans complain about their car taxes... - We just smile...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

No idea, but they need to amend the whole system as the current system is rubbish. One of my cars is off road for 9-10months of the year, i'm constantly modifying and upgrading the engine/suspension etc....then when I want to use it I insure it through a firm that deals with modified cars, and it's on the road for a month or two, then back off road and being worked on again.

The current system doesn't let me keep it up to date (tax disk wise) because I need an insurance certificate to obtain one, so I have to go through the whole rigmarole every time, it's a pointless and ridiculous way of doing it.

I do not see how it was easier for you using the previous method, but for a phone call to your insurance company, unless you had been happy to drive uninsured for short periods of time. I would think that being forced to declare your car off-road while working on it is what causing you issues rather than the whole system.

Being forced to declare a vehicle off road is a pain in the backside, but the removal of 'tax discs' will make things easier for most.

I do not see how it was easier for you using the previous method, but for a phone call to your insurance company, unless you had been happy to drive uninsured for short periods of time. I would think that being forced to declare your car off-road while working on it is what causing you issues rather than the whole system.

Being forced to declare a vehicle off road is a pain in the backside, but the removal of 'tax discs' will make things easier for most.

It wasn't easier using the previous method, or the new method, that was the point I was making. I have to have insurance to get a tax disk, but I don't need insurance all year round for this one particular vehicle....but it means I need insurance to keep a tax disk up to date, or go through the hassle of getting insurance then taking that and the MOT to the post office to get a tax disk just to drive it for a day or two. I should be able to get a tax disk without insurance, then insure when I want too, which I can't under the system we have.

They should scrap the road tax fee, never mind the actual disc.

• Like 1

It wasn't easier using the previous method, or the new method, that was the point I was making.

Got ya. ;)

I was trying to say you needed insurance to get 'tax' before the online system anyway, but that's irrelevant now. It just seems you are a victim of not conforming to the 'normal' routine of a vehicle owner.

Have you considered getting insured, getting your tax then cancelling your insurance until you need it again? This should be quite easy these days with multi car insurance deals becoming a strong selling point, especially if your car is kept off the roadside.

Do you mind if I ask what the car is? I am intrigued...

Not a penny of it goes towards maintaining the roads anyway.

Yup, it all goes in the big bottomless pit. Its an 'emission' duty now.

Edited by Junior Chubb

Got ya. ;)

I was trying to say you needed insurance to get 'tax' before the online system anyway, but that's irrelevant now. It just seems you are a victim of not conforming to the 'normal' routine of a vehicle owner.

Have you considered getting insured, getting your tax then cancelling your insurance until you need it again? This should be quite easy these days with multi car insurance deals becoming a strong selling point, especially if your car is kept off the roadside.

Well what I do is keep her taxed and MOT'd anyway, and when they are up for renewal just get a weeks insurance and get it done that way...it's just a bit of a pain having to tie it all up for no reason really....but in the grand scheme of things I guess i'll cope lol ;)

Do you mind if I ask what the car is? I am intrigued...

1989 Nissan Skyline R32. I paid peanuts for it about 4yrs ago...the previous owner had made a complete mess of it, and just generally abused it and ruined it....first thing I did was strip the inside, then replaced all the springs, hubs, wheels. Then took the paint work back to metal and resprayed in Solar red. For the past 6 months it's been a case of gradually working my way around under the bonnet......the list of improvements I want to make is endless, but then that's the enjoyment for me. It's in a lock-up down the road from me and sometimes I leave it for months on end and then get a burst of energy and get going on it again..

Edited by Sky Scanner

They should scrap the road tax fee, never mind the actual disc.

so what will be the replacement? if any?

1989 Nissan Skyline R32.

Nice, your not one of those Saturday night drifters are you? ;)

I know what you mean about motivation on big projects, you have got to get the work done while the motivation is there or it stalls in a big way.

You are going to miss out on the free 'road tax' for vintage cars. I can't remember what year it ended in. Now that is something to gripe about!

Edited by Junior Chubb

Nice, your not one of those Saturday night drifters are you? ;)

I know what you mean about motivation on big projects, you have got to get the work done while the motivation is there or it stalls in a big way.

You are going to miss out on the free 'road tax' for vintage cars? I can't remember what year it ended in.

Lol...no my boy racer days are way over with...but I do appreciate great cars (and it is a great car)...i'm more of a bike man tbh, but if I get another project after this one i'll go for a real old classic...from the 60's or even the 50's..

The car is registered 89', but plated as a 90. 1st January 1973 is the cut off point for tax exemption under the class of 'historic cars'., meaning you don't need a tax disk at all. To be classed as a classic it must be 25yrs old at least (so 2015 for the NIssan)...your tax disk is then free, but you still need one and have to go through the pointless process of getting one. At least that was the law, unless it's changed without me knowing..

Basically the older the car the less the tax... it goes down (slightly) each year until it reaches a minimum - which IIRC here in Oklahoma is $25... The first year is (obviously) the priciest - about $120 (depending on the car of course)...

It's pretty inexpensive to live here (gas is currently $2.74 a gallon - 1.68 British pounds)... My dad lived in Kansas (just north of here) and his yearly car tax was $400 dollars - based on the

original price of the car and never went down (to hear him tell it) - lots of Kansans complain about their car taxes... - We just smile...

In U.K reverse,the older the car the higher the tax,they work on gas emmisions, gas (petrol) here is $2.00 a Litre,most kids (18 yrs old) cant afford a new car so they buy a banger and the insurance is $1500 +, per year, M.O.T. is $180,tyres from $90 each,and just to change the oil is $90.

Lol...no my boy racer days are way over with...but I do appreciate great cars (and it is a great car)...i'm more of a bike man tbh, but if I get another project after this one i'll go for a real old classic...from the 60's or even the 50's..

The car is registered 89', but plated as a 90. 1st January 1973 is the cut off point for tax exemption under the class of 'historic cars'., meaning you don't need a tax disk at all. To be classed as a classic it must be 25yrs old at least (so 2015 for the NIssan)...your tax disk is then free, but you still need one and have to go through the pointless process of getting one. At least that was the law, unless it's changed without me knowing..

I am more of a bike man too, pushbikes though. :blush:

I heard the 'free tax disc' was coming to an end or had come to an end for cars over 25 years old. I thought it was already in effect, if not roll on 2015 for you. I will have a look and let you know.

In U.K reverse,the older the car the higher the tax,they work on gas emmisions, gas (petrol) here is $2.00 a Litre,most kids (18 yrs old) cant afford a new car so they buy a banger and the insurance is $1500 +, per year, M.O.T. is $180,tyres from $90 each,and just to change the oil is $90.

*bolding mine

Which is the easiest job of all...and something everyone should know how to do, and save themselves pointlessly paying out for something they could do themselves....but then if it was down to me i'd make a new section to the test compulsary, one where people have to learn the basics of a car, and the basics of how they work, if more people had some appreciation of what they were sitting in, and how it worked, you'd have a lot less death traps on the road.

I am more of a bike man too, pushbikes though. :blush:

I heard the 'free tax disc' was coming to an end or had come to an end for cars over 25 years old. I thought it was already in effect, if not roll on 2015 for you. I will have a look and let you know.

Nowt wrong with that, it's strathpuffer in January ;) ...you more of a road racer though?

Yeah if you find anything out about the tax then i'd appreciate you letting me know. This is teh oldest car i've owned, so haven't spent to much time yet looking into all the detail.

To be classed as a classic it must be 25yrs old at least (so 2015 for the NIssan)...your tax disk is then free, but you still need one and have to go through the pointless process of getting one. At least that was the law, unless it's changed without me knowing..

This was axed after 1997, and it is not on the list of exempt vehicles on the DVLA list.

https://www.gov.uk/v...pt-from-car-tax

But...

According to wiki it will be reintroduced in 2014, I have been left confused by the whole thing (a bit like your first post on thins thread ;) ). Check the wiki page here and scroll down to exempt vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia....cle_Excise_Duty

Hopefully you can reach a more definite conclusion than myself.

Nowt wrong with that, it's strathpuffer in January ;) ...you more of a road racer though?

BMX for me, I have to ride something more sensible to work though.

Edited by Junior Chubb

This was axed after 1997, and it is not on the list of exempt vehicles on the DVLA list.

https://www.gov.uk/v...pt-from-car-tax

But...

According to wiki it will be reintroduced in 2014, I have been left confused by the whole thing (a bit like your first post on thins thread ;) ). Check the wiki page here and scroll down to exempt vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia....cle_Excise_Duty

Hopefully you can reach a more definite conclusion than myself.

BMX for me, I have to ride something more sensible to work though.

Hmm...that's not very clear is it. Not sure if they mean reverting back to pre 73', or reverting back to a rolling 25yr cut-off......the way they have worded it it could be mistaken as either. I think a call to DVLA will have to happen in the next few days, to get some clarity on it.

Hmm...that's not very clear is it. Not sure if they mean reverting back to pre 73', or reverting back to a rolling 25yr cut-off......the way they have worded it it could be mistaken as either. I think a call to DVLA will have to happen in the next few days, to get some clarity on it.

Irritating that in our world of communication the information given is unclear. I hope it goes in your favour and that you don't get stuck on hold for too long.

Keep going with the Nissan too. :)