Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery 'glowing creature' seen in UK harbour

Still Waters

Experts were baffled after video footage emerged of a glowing "alien-like creature" swimming in Bristol harbour.

Stunned eyewitnesses filmed a mystery luminescent, tentacled being, which was flashing a variety of colours, floating close to the top of the water.

http://www.telegraph...ol-harbour.html

• Like 3

The Abyss!

Great find, SW. :tu:

I agree it's probably something brought in by the strong tides or a storm, but it could be man-made as well.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 5

Bio-luminescence is a wonder of life.

Really it looks like a jelly fish they have jelly fish that glow (i think :unsure2: ) but it could be jelly fish.

Does bio luminescence shut off like that though?

Does bio luminescence shut off like that though?

Yep. It's a pretty amazing feature.

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 1

I have to say the spectators don't look very "stunned," though. Lotsa cameras very alertly pointed at the thing.

Still, I suppose that if the reporter hadn't used "stunned," his editor would have put it in. The probities must be observed. :tu:

Jellyfish

That is so gorgeous. It reminds me of the night I arrive at the ocean with my scuba buddy. We were overlooking the beauty of the waters and enjoying a beer at 1AM. Neither of us wanted to admit that 1 beer gave us the illusion of glowing water. After many breath taking minutes he had the sanity to say the obvious, "The sea is full of wonder". We waded out to see the beauty in front of us. It's a time I'll never forget.

http://www.bristolpo...tail/story.html

Dr. Simpson's hypothesis seems fairly solid as far as I'm concerned.

Yes it does to me as well Rafterman....but my initial thoughts was that it could be a Cuttlefish....

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_gallo_shows_underwater_astonishments.html

ceph-cuttle.jpg

Cheers.

Sorry everyone, I've just found this -

It was a mystery that took the internet by storm but the Bristol harbour 'alien' has been exposed as an elaborate stunt to promote a new TV show.

http://www.telegraph...s-PR-stunt.html

• Like 2

True, we have BL Comb-Jellies locally, very beautiful and quite harmless to humans.

But this almost had to be a fake, I know of no BL animal that produces light of this intensity, and purple light would be highly unusual as well.

lol I love when that happens, everyone is so sure of something, just to get told its a hoax after... he he he :alien: :alien: :alien:

• Like 2

lol I love when that happens, everyone is so sure of something, just to get told its a hoax after... he he he :alien: :alien: :alien:

Who was "so sure of something"?

I'm not going to watch this clip, I am looking forward to the series so this could be a spoiler...

• Like 2

I immediately think of one of Aesop's Fables, The Boy Who Cried Wolf, and wonder will we become so desensitized from illusion as to lose sight of true novelty.

• Like 3

This mediocre stunt was laughable. I doubt on-lookers would come to the conclusion that is must be some alien life form. Silly.

This mediocre stunt was laughable. I doubt on-lookers would come to the conclusion that is must be some alien life form. Silly.

"Alien-Like" not alien, there are many creatures like this around the world