Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2/3rd of the nxt generation believe in demons

Simbi Laveau

Almost Two-Thirds of 18-29 Year Olds Believe in "Demon Possession" What Is Happening to America?

Belief in supernatural phenomena has spiked.October 30, 2013  |   

Are Americans becoming less religious? While church affiliation is probably declining, don't expect the atheist revolution anytime soon:Over one half (63 percent, to be exact) of young Americans 18-29 years old now believe in the notion that invisible, non-corporeal entities called "demons" can take partial or total control of human beings, revealed an October 2012 

More here

http://www.alternet.org/belief/almost-two-thirds-americans-18-29-years-old-believe-demon-possession-and-number-growing?akid=11100.1846650.fFaIk7&rd=1&src=newsletter917918&t=3

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 2

Well half of my family is pretty religious, not sure of their thoughts on things like this though. I remember years ago I was channel surfing and found a televised mass exorcism show. One of the "victims" started thrashing about on the ground as the host was screaming, "YOU HAVE NO LEGAL RIGHT TO BE IN HER!"

Too funny.

• Like 5

i hope that number is exaggerated, because otherwise? depressing.

i don't particularly care about the religion part, but belief in demons and possession? no. those can be potentially dangerous, especially for people dealing with mental illness.

• Like 2

Almost Two-Thirds of 18-29 Year Olds Believe in "Demon Possession" What Is Happening to America?

Belief in supernatural phenomena has spiked.October 30, 2013 |

Are Americans becoming less religious? While church affiliation is probably declining, don't expect the atheist revolution anytime soon:Over one half (63 percent, to be exact) of young Americans 18-29 years old now believe in the notion that invisible, non-corporeal entities called "demons" can take partial or total control of human beings, revealed an October 2012

More here

http://www.alternet....etter917918&t=3

It's no wonder to me why everything is so jacked up in the U.S.

If you guys haven't ever watched it, you should at least watch the first 15 minutes of the first episode of "The Newsroom" with Jeff Daniels. His speech about America is epic and spot on. I'm gonna quote/paraphrase (all from memory) one line from it; "America leads the world in 3 categories; incarcerations per capita; military spending, which we spend more than the next 25 nations combined, and they're our allies; and belief in angels"

I rarely see belief in possession detached from religious beliefs. There are instances of mental illness that can fracture one's personality and concept of self and relation to external existence, hard drugs or even softer drugs without holding your own mind can turn one upside down. I believe in spirits and energy yet why would ''demons'' care to possess a person? I could understand longing for a physical body yet if a demon can possess a person, that's some deep power, surely you can conjure up something equally as nourishing if you have the ability to possess a human being on a floating planet ya know? One of my most adored films is The Exorcist and it's so damn powerful cause religion is what saves the girl yet neither she or her mother are religious or based in a traditional 'demons are possible because so and so states that...' kinda deal, it tackles the theme so cleverly and in a layered and clinical route.

• Like 1

This is so not true. Spike in supernatural belief probably. But not the demon possession part

Edited by spartan max2

I have no doubt that demons do exist. The question is are what I believe demons to be and what you believe them to be the same thing?

edit to add: my definition is beings from a seperate dimension of earth and I also believe what most refer to as aliens are also these creatures which I have termed demons and muslims refer to as djinn. just my opinion.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

I would question how the questions were asked, and who the group was that were asked the question.

• Like 2

yeah, the article mentions that the question was included in other "halloween themed" questions, which makes me wonder if the phrasing and the context influenced the answers.

• Like 2

Well half of my family is pretty religious, not sure of their thoughts on things like this though. I remember years ago I was channel surfing and found a televised mass exorcism show. One of the "victims" started thrashing about on the ground as the host was screaming, "YOU HAVE NO LEGAL RIGHT TO BE IN HER!"

Too funny.

That's hysterical.

There's this Japanese possession movie. Really old. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it.

We saw it years ago at an old Japanese movie festival in the east village in NYC, and while they're doing the exorcism, the possessed woman keeps yelling, RUB ME WITH RED BEANS AND RICE, RUB ME WITH RED BEANS AND RICE.

I was maybe 18 at the time, and knowing how they translate this stuff badly even now, I'm wondering if she was yelling something completely different. I knew next to no Japanese at that time so.

Like rub me with daifuku!!

Either way it's funny, but daifuku is even funnier.

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 2

I rarely see belief in possession detached from religious beliefs. There are instances of mental illness that can fracture one's personality and concept of self and relation to external existence, hard drugs or even softer drugs without holding your own mind can turn one upside down. I believe in spirits and energy yet why would ''demons'' care to possess a person? I could understand longing for a physical body yet if a demon can possess a person, that's some deep power, surely you can conjure up something equally as nourishing if you have the ability to possess a human being on a floating planet ya know? One of my most adored films is The Exorcist and it's so damn powerful cause religion is what saves the girl yet neither she or her mother are religious or based in a traditional 'demons are possible because so and so states that...' kinda deal, it tackles the theme so cleverly and in a layered and clinical route.

Blatty was obsessed with the existence of God.

Most of his early works reflect this, and the endings are always, "yes, God exists", as the final word.

The answer to this is SIMPLE!

that stupid movie Paranormal Activity is to blame!!!

And it's so silly. That Triganle with the cirle... is a REAL occult symbol.

The Triangle of Solomon which you summons demons with....

BUT the way they use it in paranornal activity is so ridiculous and fake....

But all these young dumb kids... never read an occult book in their life...

and couldn't cast a glamour spell to save their life lol...

so yes they all believe in demons because of the Paranoral Activity series...

either that or the zo zo demon that haunts youtube....

Either way it p***es me off that they use the Triangle of Solomon as some evil symbol....

in the series.. when it's just where the spirit appears when you summon it.....

I saw the latest ad for Paranormal Activity... the Marked Ones...

with the ******* Triangle of Solomon on the forehead of this reaper thing!!

are you kidding me??? that is so stupid....

and i bet not one of those young kids knows what the Triangle of Solomon is...

or a magic circe for that matter....

So yes they all believe is scary demons... because of a movie series that sucks..

and got very popular...

I like the Indsidious series much better persoanally...

Edited by LostSouls7

That's what happens when schools no longer teach critical thinking skills and focus on just getting the little darlings through the next standardized test so the government $$ keep rolling in.

• Like 1

Why is that surprising 2/3 probably believe in Zombies, Vampires and Santa Claus as well.

yeah, the article mentions that the question was included in other "halloween themed" questions, which makes me wonder if the phrasing and the context influenced the answers.

I agree, Survey results without the context of the questions can be very misleading.

• Like 1

I wonder if they are talking about the demons that glitter or are those vampires?

Demon's, vampires, werewolves or any other kind of semi-human-shaped supernatural beings aren't allowed to be ugly murderous monsters anymore. It doesn't make good television, movies or books.

• Like 1

Zombies are always ugly.. but girl vampires are always stunningly beautiful . . . . UNTIL !

I have a hunch.. that a huge accurate survey would reveal that more people believe in the existence of the devil than God . Very Odd that.

Answer :

Television and Internet being used as educational tools.

• Like 1

Belief in supernatural phenomena has spiked.October 30, 2013 |

More here

http://www.alternet....etter917918&t=3

People are very susceptible to false beliefs, and will often blindly accept unverified ideas that are presented to them as factual. Take, for instance, someone who believes without question in a poll published on a site called "alternet.org" as a good example...

• Like 2

People are very susceptible to false beliefs, and will often blindly accept unverified ideas that are presented to them as factual. Take, for instance, someone who believes without question in a poll published on a site called "alternet.org" as a good example...

He shoots... he scores!!!

If i'm not mistaken, it's been like that for quite some time. Even most christians, or the ones I'm aware of, believe that people can be possessed by demons. i don't know at what age they generally start believing it, but it's not too surprising to hear nonetheless. The world is a scary place. We have to search for explanations for it somehow.

People watch to many movies, i do think demons excist, but when it comes to posession i'm really skeptic.

• 3 months later...

Too funny.

lol it does sound too funny , the legal right bit cracks me up and I didn't even see it , but for all the host knows the demon may have had a court order stating that it had the right to occupy , clearly a matter for the courts and not some nut job , televised exorcism LOL only in America