Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Planet That Shouldn't Be There Discovered

Waspie_Dwarf

UA Astronomers Discover Planet That Shouldn't Be There

The discovery of a giant planet orbiting its star at 650 times the average Earth-Sun distance has astronomers puzzled over how such a strange system came to be.

An international team of astronomers, led by a University of Arizona graduate student, has discovered the most distantly orbiting planet found to date around a single, sun-like star. It is the first exoplanet – a planet outside of our solar system – discovered at the UA.

Weighing in at 11 times Jupiter’s mass and orbiting its star at 650 times the average Earth-Sun distance, planet HD 106906 b is unlike anything in our own Solar System and throws a wrench in planet formation theories.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Couldn't this be explained by the planet for some reason being moved out of it's original orbit by interference from another body, much like with the "hot Jupiters"?

Couldn't this be explained by the planet for some reason being moved out of it's original orbit by interference from another body, much like with the "hot Jupiters"?

Hot Jupiters usually migrate as a result interactions with the planetary disk. This causes the planet to fall move in towards the star not to move outwards.

Hot Jupiters usually migrate as a result interactions with the planetary disk. This causes the planet to fall move in towards the star not to move outwards.

Yeah, but I was thinking of something like gravitational attraction from a star drifting too close or a rogue brown dwarf. I don't know just throwing it out there.

I was also thinking this could be a rogue planet that had been captured by this star

I was also thinking this could be a rogue planet that had been captured by this star

Big planet,could nearly be called a low mass Brown Dwarf.
  • Like 1