Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do ghosts come through the ouija?

LostSouls7

I found this radio interview about Ouija boards interesting.

Well the expert says they Ouija is in contact with elementals spirts.

So they come in the form you wish them to be.

If you wish for angels you get that, demons the same.

Or if you wish to see ghosts they will take that form.

but all they are is elemental spirits.

Does this mean maybe all ghosts are just elemental spirits pretending to be ghosts?

Or can we really haunt people from beyond the grave?

Here is the video that explains it all!

Both you and the "expert" are using a miscellany of totally undefined terms, which makes everything you say a complete nonsense.

Did not watch video but there are no experts in the paranormal. If there were they would be able to explain it all to us, and they can't begin to do that.

A Ouija board is nothing more than a flat surface with symbols inscribed on it.

• Like 4

Considering it is a cash cow pushed out by a board game company at the hight of the Spiritualism movement in the early 20th century, I call it for what it is: a novelty piece of wood/cardboard/plastic that you break out after drinking with your mates and then the one stoner friend starts freaking out because one of you is sober enough to push the glass.... what, just me?

• Like 5

They can bring out something, but its not ghosts, its the scary inner feelings a human is capable of bringing out of themselves when they set their mind on it.....a little bit like hypnotizing yourself to **** the life out of yourself, but you are not on your own, theres a group all doing the same thing.

• Like 3

Sir i don't know you, nor have we met before, but I like the cut of your jib.

Thank you!

They can bring out something, but its not ghosts, its the scary inner feelings a human is capable of bringing out of themselves when they set their mind on it.....a little bit like hypnotizing yourself to **** the life out of yourself, but you are not on your own, theres a group all doing the same thing.

Yes I also read that is brings out something from the sub concious mind.

Either way it's pretty spooky and interesting to say the least !

• Like 1

Yes I also read that is brings out something from the sub concious mind.

Either way it's pretty spooky and interesting to say the least !

When i was in my teens a group of us did it in an old house, allegedly haunted, its amazing how much we managed to get into such a frenzy mentally to s*** each other up.

But its like watching a really good horror film in the safety of your own home and you get up to go to bed when its finished and are scared to walk through your own house without all the lights on.........you have opened up the scary side of your sub conscious mind during the film, its only when you have closed the lid on it that you can turn off those lights. Some people can not close that lid, thats when it gets dangerous.

• Like 2

IF there are demons or whatever, I highly doubt they need a little board and a plastic triangle to do their evil stuff.

• Like 3

So a piece of paperboard made in quantity in a factory in southeast Asia is a portal to the afterlife?

Edited by sinewave
  • Like 1

So a piece of paperboard made in quantity in a factory in southeast Asia is a portal to the afterlife?

People believe what they want to believe.

• Like 1

Southeast Asia is where EVERYTHING comes from these days.

• Like 1

The original ouija boards were very ancient

Yet, You have said in your previous posts cardboard works as well.

Don't make me find the thread where you said it and quote it here.

Even if that is true, what does it mean?

• Like 1

In my view, most experience of Ouija board, if not all, can be explained by the ideomotor effect. I've heard and read of strange accounts that doesn't seems to fit in that explanation but the testimonies, even though made in good faith and honesty, cannot be proved. So, it is very difficult to ruled out the psychological aspects that may be the very root of these phenomenon. That doesn't mean there cannot be other causes, even supernatural one. I've hypothesized on that regard in earliers posts but I cannot support those with solid evidences.

I would be wary of so called ''experts'' on matters that are not even remotely proved. Anyone can call himself an expert of the Ouija after playing with one for some time that doesn't mean his/her assesments and evaluations are accurate and true.

If you want to be objective in your quest of understanding the effects of the board, you should also consider scientific explanations and not only occult ones.

Here is a good article on the ideomotor effect:

http://www.skepdic.com/ideomotor.html

Over the years, Ouija has acquired a strange and dark reputation fueled by hollywood productions such as The Exorcism in 1979. It is shrouded in supersititions and mesinterpretations. You have to distinguish what are the verifiable facts and what are the accounts. All of the evidence supporting a supernatural aspect of the board are anectodical. That doesn't mean it is not worth investigating those claims, on the contrary, but there is no concrete and indisputable evidences that have been put forward so far.

Actually ''Ouija'' board is a trademark patented by Elijah Bond in 1890 which was sold in 1966 to the Parker Brothers and later on to Hasbro.

I think you're refering to automatic writting boards found in China around 1100 AD known as feji if I am not wrong. Some trace the concept as far as that, others to Ancient Greek but it is not so clear.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

Well, they weren't ancient when they were newly original, were they? Cause that would be a contradiction in terms.

Look at my original paranormal invention, the very ancient ouija board!

Perhaps you meant that ouija boards (or similar devices) go back a lot time in history. But so what? Being an old idea doesn't make something a good idea.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 1

Perhaps you meant that ouija boards (or similar devices) go back a lot time in history. But so what? Being an old idea doesn't make something a good idea.

Conversely, it makes the likely hood that the effect they had is something that we understand scientfically nowadays greater.

The Ouija boards of today were originally used by people in parlors. When they started popping up in horror movies, like "The Exorcist", people began to freak out, thinking they could really contact and conjure up demons right in their own living rooms. It's just a toy. They even have glow in the dark Ouija boards!

• Like 1

I agree with you, Kipperphoenix.

Ouija Board: glow-in-the-dark are sold at Toys-R-Us store 22.99$ by the Hasbro brand.

(http://www.toysrus.c...rentPage=family)

It has been so for years and no one has been able to prove that it can be harmful to play with. In fact the recommendation is 8+ years.

It is hard to rule out the psychological and subconscious effect that some beliefs can have on a participant using a board, that may well be the root of the phenomenon.

I would not say that it is impossible, theorically speaking, though very unlikely it may seem, that some kind of communication can be established, using the participant as a ''medium'' to channel messages using the board as a tool. However, it must be said that psychological explanations and historical analyses seems to give satisfying answers to the Ouija phenomenon that do not require any entites to influence the movements the pointer.

Here is a very good article of The Psychology Today magazine concerning Ouija board. It deserves to be read.

http://www.psycholog...board-explained

Edited by sam_comm

The author of the article takes the same approach Penn & Teller used. Blindfold the participants and rotate the board. It gets them every time. Of course true believers will then invent a "plausible" reason for why that is not a valid test.

• Like 2

for the sake of the conversation, if ghosts/demons/elemental/others are real then yes.

One time we used a ouija the light above the table turned green.we ran out of the house lol.