Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

CNN Poll: Support for Stricter Gun Control

CRYSiiSx2

Seems like more Americans are waking up! When the anniversary of Newtown came around, everyone knew the sick b******* for gun control wouldn't let this day go by as one to mourn. For those trying to take guns, it's a holiday, a time to rip the scab off an old wound for their own sad agenda.

Glad Americans are seeing this.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/04/cnn-poll-support-for-stricter-gun-control-fades

• Like 4

and from a left wing station.

I think gun rights(as in less gun control) and gay marriage(as in allowing it) everyone is coming to agreement on for the most part.

• Like 2

Pure propaganda

Less people are in favor of gun control and you're crying "propaganda"? Usually it's the other way around...

I remember not even hours after this tragic incident occured all of the people using it as a way to push their political views. As if it were a "guilt trip" type of thing. It's disturbing how low many may go for their own gain. R.I.P. children of Sandy Hook, you deserved so much better in life, and I'll remember this until the day I too pass on..

• Like 1

Setting the extremes of the debate aside, it seems that folks have figured out that it's really not about the sheer number of firearms owned by the public, it's about who owns them and keeping them away from those who shouldn't have them.

We shouldn't let the anomaly of the mass shooting - as tragic as they are - drive the discussion.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the anti-gunners can't frame the debate to keeping guns out of the hands of convicts and the criminally insane. Going after gun owners who never committed a crime in their life like there's no such thing as the 2nd Amendment is just way too damned fun/stupid.

• Like 3

This is why the Congress always works on Anti-Gun legislation right after a major shootout. The Media sensationalizes the story, thus getting people stirred up. Then the Media publshes polls saying everyone is stirred up. Then the Congress can act and say they are doing the people will. Rinse, and repeat as necessary. Use with other subjects as needed. A dash of racism or poverty is always a percentage getter for the polls.

Unfortunately, the anti-gunners can't frame the debate to keeping guns out of the hands of convicts and the criminally insane. Going after gun owners who never committed a crime in their life like there's no such thing as the 2nd Amendment is just way too damned fun/stupid.

You can't go after the insane and criminals! They might USE the guns against you!!

I don't believe this poll represents the sentiments of Americans. I simply don't believe it. I do believe that the media thinks it can influence the sentiments of Americans. That influence by the media is decreasing daily. CNN is not a part of my life, not since I turned off cable TV and utilize only pull media.

Seems like more Americans are waking up! When the anniversary of Newtown came around, everyone knew the sick b******* for gun control wouldn't let this day go by as one to mourn. For those trying to take guns, it's a holiday, a time to rip the scab off an old wound for their own sad agenda.

Glad Americans are seeing this.

http://politicaltick...n-control-fades

But, then again, once you take the guns from the law abiding citizens, you can change the law back and invigorate the economy when they all go out and buy new guns..... GENIUS! Taxes will increase due to the spending, and everyone will have new safe guns, and the FedGov can sell all the hundreds of millions of old guns in Mexico. Win, Win, Win....

I don't believe this poll represents the sentiments of Americans. I simply don't believe it. I do believe that the media thinks it can influence the sentiments of Americans. That influence by the media is decreasing daily. CNN is not a part of my life, not since I turned off cable TV and utilize only pull media.

I think that you are right in that some Media, specifically TV news channels, try to create stories. And polls are a big part of that. They poll right after some event, such as after a commuter plane crashes, and ask people if flying is safe. It is natural for many to knee jerk that flying would be dangerous, as they just saw a crash on TV.

I agree it is better to read a couple online sources and figure out what is going on yourself, rather then just sitting wide eyed into the evening news.

Once upon a time, you could trust what was shown in the TV News, but no longer.

But, then again, once you take the guns from the law abiding citizens, you can change the law back and invigorate the economy when they all go out and buy new guns..... GENIUS! Taxes will increase due to the spending, and everyone will have new safe guns, and the FedGov can sell all the hundreds of millions of old guns in Mexico. Win, Win, Win....

True, true.

I lie on polls all the time, I want them to have the wrong impression of what is the mainstream sentiments of this country, this state, this town. That leads to missteps and the ability to oust those we think do not support our sentiments.

If the elected officials want to know what I really think, they should call and ask.

I think that you are right in that some Media, specifically TV news channels, try to create stories. And polls are a big part of that. They poll right after some event, such as after a commuter plane crashes, and ask people if flying is safe. It is natural for many to knee jerk that flying would be dangerous, as they just saw a crash on TV.

I agree it is better to read a couple online sources and figure out what is going on yourself, rather then just sitting wide eyed into the evening news.

Once upon a time, you could trust what was shown in the TV News, but no longer.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 2

I lie on polls all the time, I want them to have the wrong impression of what is the mainstream sentiments of this country, this state, this town. That leads to missteps and the ability to oust those we think do not support our sentiments.

If the elected officials want to know what I really think, they should call and ask.

Whatever happened to politicians going around town and getting the "feel" of their constituants? I bet my 2 Senators only come back to Oregon when they are running for re-election. Otherwise all holidays and time off is probably in DC. They don't give a rat-spit about what their voters actually want/believe. Until it is election time, and then they are all over kissing babies and making promises to get potholes fixed in the streets.

• Like 1

Whatever happened to politicians going around town and getting the "feel" of their constituants? I bet my 2 Senators only come back to Oregon when they are running for re-election. Otherwise all holidays and time off is probably in DC. They don't give a rat-spit about what their voters actually want/believe. Until it is election time, and then they are all over kissing babies and making promises to get potholes fixed in the streets.

I can remember meeting Nancy Kassabaum in an empty hallway at a college. I didn't recognize her. She handed me her literature. I asked her if she thought Nancy really had the best interest of the people at heart. She thought for a moment and said she was certain that she did.

• Like 2

This is why the Congress always works on Anti-Gun legislation right after a major shootout. The Media sensationalizes the story, thus getting people stirred up. Then the Media publshes polls saying everyone is stirred up. Then the Congress can act and say they are doing the people will. Rinse, and repeat as necessary. Use with other subjects as needed. A dash of racism or poverty is always a percentage getter for the polls.

I agree.

But the NRA and other gun rights groups should be doing what they can to prevent Sandy Hooks, like supporting sensible gun control legislation, instead of their knee-jerk "no regulation at all" stance that they default to.

Arming teachers? Seriously?

This is why the NRA is going to "shoot themselves in the foot" with their reactionary and completely unreasonable stances. Within the next decade, people will come to reaize that the NRA will be the worst thing to happen to gun rights.

• Like 1

But the NRA and other gun rights groups should be doing what they can to prevent Sandy Hooks,

they do. they are for reasonable and productive legestlation. however there was not one proposed lately.

nra is the only thing that happen to gun rights. and i proudly support it, by being a member and paying to nra ila regularly. i spend hundreds of dollars a year, how much do you spend to support your view???

hey do. they are for reasonable and productive legestlation.

Does the NRA support mandatory waiting periods?

What about background checks?

I'm not baiting you, I honestly don't know. I'm under the impression that they fight all gun legislation.

i spend hundreds of dollars a year, how much do you spend to support your view???

That's completely irrelevant, and I'm not sure what you are trying to imply, unless you are irrational enough to think that spending money equates to some kind of moral high ground or sense of "right?"

I don't need to spend money, I'm a gun owner and a sporting clays shooter who supports sensible gun control. All I have to do is vote for people who's platforms reflect that.

The NRA needs to keep spending so much money because they are fighting reason, and their propaganda costs money.

Edited by Neognosis

Less people are in favor of gun control and you're crying "propaganda"? Usually it's the other way around...

my bad.
  • Like 1

I agree.

But the NRA and other gun rights groups should be doing what they can to prevent Sandy Hooks, like supporting sensible gun control legislation, instead of their knee-jerk "no regulation at all" stance that they default to.

Arming teachers? Seriously?

This is why the NRA is going to "shoot themselves in the foot" with their reactionary and completely unreasonable stances. Within the next decade, people will come to reaize that the NRA will be the worst thing to happen to gun rights.

I don't know the waiting period the NRA supports. I'm going to assume they do oppose all gun related laws. Probably mostly out of habit.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what they could be doing to prevent future Sandy Hooks? Do you mean like legislation or education? Or like arming and sending out militia mem to guard schools?

I think the NRA already does a lot of education, and they probably couldn't get any legislation put through the Senate and past the President if they bowed down and wrote only what they were told to by Harry Reid.

Edited by DieChecker

On the other hand, I'm not sure what they could be doing to prevent future Sandy Hooks?

How about pushing for heavy punishment for irresponsible gun use or ownership?

for instance... if you fail to secure a gun in a specific way, you get a huge fine and lose your gun?

If you allow a person who has not had the proper background check access to your gun, you go to jail.

If you are on parole and you knowingly associate with someone who is illegally carrying a gun, you go back to jail.

Mandatory safety courses for gun ownership.

When a Sandy Hook happens, their reaction should not be to suggest arming teachers. Their reaction should be to condemn, in the harshest terms, the lady who owned such a high capacity weapon designed to kill people when she had an adult child with a serious diagnosed mental illness. IRRESPONSIBLE.

The NRA I was a member of in my early 20's is little like today's group of zealots.

This will all play out however it plays out. I hope that the NRA doesn't prove to be so pig-headed that I end up having to jump through hoops to get the ammunition I need to shoot sporting clays every other week.

How about pushing for heavy punishment for irresponsible gun use or ownership?

for instance... if you fail to secure a gun in a specific way, you get a huge fine and lose your gun?

If you allow a person who has not had the proper background check access to your gun, you go to jail.

If you are on parole and you knowingly associate with someone who is illegally carrying a gun, you go back to jail.

Mandatory safety courses for gun ownership.

When a Sandy Hook happens, their reaction should not be to suggest arming teachers. Their reaction should be to condemn, in the harshest terms, the lady who owned such a high capacity weapon designed to kill people when she had an adult child with a serious diagnosed mental illness. IRRESPONSIBLE.

I don't think that will happen, as it will be seen as pandering, or complying, with the Anti-Gun lobby.

I suppose it is like every polarized item these days. There can be no discussion, only the demanding of taking one side or the other so as to gain a majority.