Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The sunshine is no longer free

Simbi Laveau

Yes folks, first water is not a right, and now wind and sun shine, are not free.....

I assume there will soon be a vitamin D personal production tax as well.

~~~~~~~~~~

An alliance of corporations and conservative activists is mobilizing to penalize homeowners who install their own solar panels — casting them as “free riders” — in a sweeping new offensive against renewable energy.

Over the coming year, the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) will promote legislation with goals ranging from penalizing individual homeowners and weakening state clean energy regulations, to blocking the Environmental Protection Agency, which is Barack Obama’s main channel for climate action.Details of ALEC’s strategy to block clean energy development at every stage — from the individual rooftop to the White House — are revealed as the group gathers for its policy summit in Washington this week.About 800 state legislators and business leaders are due to attend the three-day event, which begins on Wednesday with appearances by the Wisconsin senator Ron Johnson and fellow Wisconsinite and Republican budget guru Paul Ryan.Another ALEC speaker will be senator Ted Cruz of Texas, a leading figure behind the recent government shutdown, and the governors of Indiana and Wyoming, Mike Pence and Matt Mead.

For 2014, ALEC plans to promote a suite of model bills and resolutions aimed at blocking Barack Obama from cutting greenhouse gas emissions, and state governments from promoting the expansion of wind and solar power through regulations known as Renewable Portfolio Standards.

More here :

http://grist.org/climate-energy/alec-calls-for-penalties-on-free-rider-solar-panel-users/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=update&utm_campaign=socialflow

And here :

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/ALEC_In_Wisconsin

• Like 3

In the vaguest of ways I can understand some restrictions on rainwater(not wanting to disrupt the natural collection into reservoirs/ground water and so on), but trying to limit solar power is just plain greed. If that every happens, next thing you know energy companies will get legal rights to charging for sunlight collection in their area of service.

• Like 4

America, land of the free, home of the...wait, are you trying to get clean renewable energy?! Not here!! We need to get paid too!

• Like 2

In the vaguest of ways I can understand some restrictions on rainwater(not wanting to disrupt the natural collection into reservoirs/ground water and so on), but trying to limit solar power is just plain greed. If that every happens, next thing you know energy companies will get legal rights to charging for sunlight collection in their area of service.

How are they going to convince the sun to only shine on those who pay?
  • Like 5

:o WTF

<_< FTW

This is how revolutions begin..

• Like 2

really? really? Wtf .... ****ers...

• Like 1

http://www.alecexpos...ki/ALEC_Exposed

I don't believe the people will allow any of this to pass.

What do the people have to do with it?

The politicians with their snouts in the trough will do whatever is bidden of them by the people who brought them.

They'll go around and smash the solar panels.

• Like 3

Sunshine isn't free? Since when? If I pay to build solar panels on my own land how does anyone have the right to charge me anything for this?

This is 'Merica.

I didn't think it was possible but I think I've just become an anarchist.

Sunshine isn't free? Since when? If I pay to build solar panels on my own land how does anyone have the right to charge me anything for this?

Because its not fair that YOU should be able to put up Solar Panels when there are poor people out there that need Government assistance. Can you not see that you are depriving them of some of that assistance because you are depriving the government of much needed tax dollars by not paying the Electiric Company? That's not only un-patriotic SC. That is selfish!

ahem...just trying to think like Ninjadude...

• Like 1

http://www.alecexpos...ki/ALEC_Exposed

I don't believe the people will allow any of this to pass.

No, you are right the people would not allow any of this to pass. That's why you have a Congress, to pass the things the people would not otherwise allow to pass. They could so easily hide it in an innoculous and random bit of legislation about Parks Maintenance or some such and bingo it's legislation.

• Like 4

Because its not fair that YOU should be able to put up Solar Panels when there are poor people out there that need Government assistance. Can you not see that you are depriving them of some of that assistance because you are depriving the government of much needed tax dollars by not paying the Electiric Company? That's not only un-patriotic SC. That is selfish!

ahem...just trying to think like Ninjadude...

I don't know man. You know I'm all for helping the poor, but I pay income taxes, I pay sales taxes, I pay property taxes on property that has been paid for for twenty years. A couple of years ago I had to register my well for some unspecified reason and now I can't even utilize the sunshine that is shining on me? For once I am absolutely speechless.
  • Like 1

Everyone does know, the solar panels are somehow connected to satellite grids, and if it's deemed we are getting too much free energy, the satellite connections can be terminated by whomever controls it, which I think are the electric companies.

Iforget tthe semantics of it, but there's something like that in effect as well.

I don't know man. You know I'm all for helping the poor, but I pay income taxes, I pay sales taxes, I pay property taxes on property that has been paid for for twenty years. A couple of years ago I had to register my well for some unspecified reason and now I can't even utilize the sunshine that is shining on me? For once I am absolutely speechless.

You are obviously suffering from the dillusion that the government does not own the sun. Have YOU put a flag on the moon? No. You haven't. The government put a flag on the moon and therefore...as history has taught us to accept these things...possession is 9/10 of the law. Government put a flag on the moon, therefore Government has claimed and so, owns, the moon. Since the moon is closer to the sun that Earth is...it is logical to conclude that Government also owns the sun. And you think you can just take the Governments sunshine for free? It doesn't work like that. The Government gives you so much and all you do is complain about how much tax you have to pay. Remember, when you put up a solar panel, a child in Detroit goes hungry because of it. If even one child goes hungry because of your selfishness...is your solar panel really worth it?

Edited by joc
  • Like 2

You are obviously suffering from the dillusion that the government does not own the sun. Have YOU put a flag on the moon? No. You haven't. The government put a flag on the moon and therefore...as history has taught us to accept these things...possession is 9/10 of the law. Government put a flag on the moon, therefore Government has claimed and so, owns, the moon. Since the moon is closer to the sun that Earth is...it is logical to conclude that Government also owns the sun. And you think you can just take the Governments sunshine for free? It doesn't work like that. The Government gives you so much and all you do is complain about how much tax you have to pay. Remember, when you put up a solar panel, a child in Detroit goes hungry because of it. If even one child goes hungry because of your selfishness...is your solar panel really worth it?

I thought the conservatives were the ones that didn't want to stifle people's independence. It's all a racket. I am building solar panels now and I defy any one to tell me I owe them for sunshine
  • Like 3

They should just do what the power companies did in Oz.

Raise prices and openly say "it's because all the solar panels are cutting into our profits".

Legal charges against anyone who doesn't pay a "solar fee" for the right to use solar panels.

• Like 1