Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fish keeping/photography

il-Hares

So, one of my hobbies was fish keeping, intertwined with photography - I had livebearers - platys, mollies, swordtails, guppies, endlers (just 1 6ft community tank), egg bearers - zebra/leopard danios, MCW and some catfish etc

My prized part of my collection was my Betta splendens collection - over 300 adults, with most tail types, here are some of my "champs:"

Feather tail male - unfortunately line stopped with him, and his siblings where not really good to continue the line

th_DSCF7015b.jpg

Blue HM (half moon female)

th_DSCF1070.jpg

CT (crown tail) female

th_DSCF1055.jpg

• Like 2

th_DSCF1034.jpg

HM Male, produced from CT x VT cross - colours are not that nice, but was happy with the tail spread

th_DSCF1082.jpg

Some of the Vt's produced by me

th_DSCF1251.jpg

1st HM female, which I got for peanuts (special find at my pet shop)

All my stock came during a time, where here anything other than VT was either unheard of, or costly.

• Like 1

this one looks good enough for a show - HM Male, produced from CT x VT cross , I don't keep anymore ... time management issues ... great collection :tu:

I just collect photos now ... :lol:

a few of my favorites :

1461205_10151870587453165_1163410126_n.jpg

1461205_10151870587458165_540685762_n.jpg

1461205_10151870587463165_54965462_n.jpg

~

• Like 3

those dragons are beautiful :) they're a cross with another betta if I'm not wrong - betta smargadina ? I love the wild ones, but bit too delicate for me, and space is always an issue

might start again in the future, when things have settled - pity there's a lot of bureaucracy for sales

• Like 1

the sad thing is they are pretty rare in the wild ... if I'm not wrong they're making their way to the protected near endangered category ... natural habitat lost ...

the good news is they are not that difficult to breed ... so the problem now is actually only the natural breeds are endangered ... natural mountain spring streams are being re routed to industrial and agro use everywhere ...

~

• Like 2

I agree, someone will hopefully go something in the wild.

Thing is they don;t like the deep streams ... and shallow streams are deemed to be of 'no consequences' to the wildlife ... and bettas are nor not deemed an economically viable contribution factor to the GDP numbers ... its an uphill task ... and bettas are not alone ...

Thing is they don;t like the deep streams ... and shallow streams are deemed to be of 'no consequences' to the wildlife ... and bettas are nor not deemed an economically viable contribution factor to the GDP numbers ... its an uphill task ... and bettas are not alone ...

I know, they like small puddles with no currents, esp for their nests.

When the mosquito population goes up, and betta number goes down, someone will wake up, unless they're rich people abusing of the the countryside.

• Like 1

I've heard rumors of small cave systems ... but I don't put too much faith in it ... as soon as someone finds out about it, won't be long when it will turn into a dead eco system ... the only hope is the Forest / Jungle Reserves ... National Parks ... been a long time since I last ventured into one but if I get a chance next time I'll keep an eye out for bettas ... ;)

I know someone from your part of the world who is a betta enthusiast - Haji Badaruddin - forgot where he's from exactly but I think Malaysia, if you know him/can find him he's a great person - had him on my old fb profile, will try to reconnect sometime. I knew him through www.seriouslyfish.com

I know someone from your part of the world who is a betta enthusiast - Haji Badaruddin - forgot where he's from exactly but I think Malaysia, if you know him/can find him he's a great person - had him on my old fb profile, will try to reconnect sometime. I knew him through www.seriouslyfish.com

Yeah .. that sounds like a Malaysian name ... the kind of fish nuts here are the type you wont believe ... I had a friend who was almost disowned by his parents because he went fish hunting instead of being by his wife during the birth of his first child ... :lol:

~

• Like 1

Yeah .. that sounds like a Malaysian name ... the kind of fish nuts here are the type you wont believe ... I had a friend who was almost disowned by his parents because he went fish hunting instead of being by his wife during the birth of his first child ... :lol:

~

lol If we had your fish here, I would be the same lol he's a great guy, and has lots of kids :)

• Like 1

3 spot gourami

2008_05230049-1.jpg

• Like 1