Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theories on Alien Civilizations

sumeria

Nowadays many earth-like planets (Kepler 62e; Kepler 62f) are being discovered in the other solar systems by Kepler Space Telescope. These planets are located in "habitable zone" and can consist liquid water at their surfaces with sufficient atmospheric pressure. According to the scientists billions of these planets exist. Habitable zone terms is used to describe "not too hot and not too cold to support life".

It is actually very obvious that there are many other planets which are able to host life and probably the intelligent life. Only in our galaxy there are millions of solar systems which have their habitable zones and planets which may consist an alien civilization.

The nearest of this alien life can even be close to us like 12 light years. In the following years more these earth like planets will be discovered and one day finally we will come across with an alien civilization on a different planet.

Edited by sumeria
  • Like 1

That is certainly the whole reason of the search. Finding life though doesn't mean talking to it, or meeting it any-time soon. Some planets with 'life' may simply be covered in vegetation and no superior races. And thats still a great find. Distances are too great with current tech...it would take us thousands of years to travel anywhere.. so no astronauts will be making such a journey unless we can develop light speed travel, which may be impossible for us

• Like 4

Nowadays many earth-like planets (Kepler 62e; Kepler 62f) are being discovered in the other solar systems by Kepler Space Telescope. These planets are located in "habitable zone" and can consist liquid water at their surfaces with sufficient atmospheric pressure. According to the scientists billions of these planets exist. Habitable zone terms is used to describe "not too hot and not too cold to support life".

It is actually very obvious that there are many other planets which are able to host life and probably the intelligent life. Only in our galaxy there are millions of solar systems which have their habitable zones and planets which may consist an alien civilization.

The nearest of this alien life can even be close to us like 12 light years. In the following years more these earth like planets will be discovered and one day finally we will come across with an alien civilization on a different planet.

Just remember, Mars and Venus are in our habitable zone.

Not much going on there. Gas Giant moons are considered by many a better chance. They are nowhere near our habitable zone.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

That is certainly the whole reason of the search. Finding life though doesn't mean talking to it, or meeting it any-time soon. Some planets with 'life' may simply be covered in vegetation and no superior races. And thats still a great find.

I would actually love some alien veggies with dinner. Imagine all the new stuff to eat we could find.

• Like 1

I would actually love some alien veggies with dinner. Imagine all the new stuff to eat we could find.

Or eat you.

Like hallucinogenic plants, they take people on a trip, some indulge too much and die right there, providing fertilizer for a year. Are plants predators? Food for thought?

alien-salad.jpg.jpeg

• Like 2

Keep in mind that the exoplanets that we are capable of discovering now, are mostly large planets as opposed to small, close to their sun as opposed to far (with recent exception), and with smaller suns rather than large.

And once we finally find some extraterrestrial life, scientists will probably be at tenterhooks about the definition of the life.

And most of that will probably be single-celled organisms, not too exciting.

That said, there are probably advanced civilizations out there, and their discovery will be the most significant event in history.

• Like 2

The fact that we can find thousands of exoplanets without even leaving the comfort of our Earth is incredible. Even if all the findings so far have no ' advanced civilizations' living on it the probability that a planet similar and older than Earth, capable of supporting advanced form of life exist in the cosmos is very great.

Also, the panspermia theory is back on stage among the mainstream scientists community and if that can be one day confirmed, that not only the Earth has been seeded by Mars by that life can spread form a planet to another in the entire Universe it would be very interesting.

That is certainly the whole reason of the search. Finding life though doesn't mean talking to it, or meeting it any-time soon. Some planets with 'life' may simply be covered in vegetation and no superior races. And thats still a great find. Distances are too great with current tech...it would take us thousands of years to travel anywhere.. so no astronauts will be making such a journey unless we can develop light speed travel, which may be impossible for us

It is my understanding that most planets does not support advanced lifeforms due to various conditions but even so, with regard to the incredible amounts of planets that likely exist in the Milky Way alone (I am not even refering to close-by Galaxies such as Andromeda for instance) the sheer statistics and probabilities are in favor to the existence of intelligent Aliens lifeforms.

In any way, there is no way for us human, at our current stage of developpement and scientific advancement to travel at even the closesest planet outside our solar system. But who knows if they cannot do so? As much as no solid evidence support that, nothing conclusive refutes the possiblity either.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

We are starting to make advancements regarding propulsion systems. I would highly recommend a new show called "Futurescape" on the Science Channel. If you get that. Last week they talked about propulsion advances in the area of plasma/ion propulsion and progress regarding development of yes, warp drive. We are yet a ways off that but still developing. The future looks bright indeed, at least in one aspect. :tu:

Edited by Spacenut56
  • Like 1

The fact that we can find thousands of exoplanets without even leaving the comfort of our Earth is incredible. Even if all the findings so far have no ' advanced civilizations' living on it the probability that a planet similar and older than Earth, capable of supporting advanced form of life exist in the cosmos is very great.

But that's much different from a planet that has life on it.

Or eat you.

Like hallucinogenic plants, they take people on a trip, some indulge too much and die right there, providing fertilizer for a year. Are plants predators? Food for thought?

alien-salad.jpg.jpeg

Well crap...

• Like 2

But that's much different from a planet that has life on it.

I believe this is coming possibly soon. Just the other day scientists reported more signs of water guysers on Europa, and where there is water, there may be life. :tu:

I believe this is coming possibly soon. Just the other day scientists reported more signs of water guysers on Europa, and where there is water, there may be life. :tu:

Life needs a hell of a lot more things than water.

I expect we will find thousands of planets with lots of water and no traces of life.

• Like 1

Honestly, you don't even need to count the planets that just have the same building blocks that Earth has, for all we know Venus could very well have life on it. Just growing and living off different substances. On our own planet alone there was found to be a creature that lives off of the carbon monoxide of an underwater volcano.

Sure we should continue to look for life with the same stuff that made us but that's not to say that those types are the ONLY types we should think about.

Life needs a hell of a lot more things than water.

I expect we will find thousands of planets with lots of water and no traces of life.

Entirely possible. Just as we may find many planets with both life and water, and we just may find lots of life with NO water. The possibilities are endless IMO. :yes:

Edited by Spacenut56

Entirely possible. Just as we may find many planets with both life and water, and we just may find lots of life with NO water. The possibilities are endless IMO. :yes:

How does life exist without water?

• Like 1

How does life exist without water?

Might be life as we DON'T know it. We have so much to learn yet regarding potential life in the cosmos I think.

Might be life as we DON'T know it. We have so much to learn yet regarding potential life in the cosmos I think.

But we do know physical and chemical laws which are the same throughout the cosmos and they rigidly restrict the possibility of life to certain conditions. Anything outside that is science fiction.

• Like 1

But we do know physical and chemical laws which are the same throughout the cosmos and they rigidly restrict the possibility of life to certain conditions. Anything outside that is science fiction.

I guess we shall find out if this is indeed true, or not.

I guess we shall find out if this is indeed true, or not.

No, we already know that physical and chemical laws are the same throughout the cosmos and life must obey these laws.

Hey that's fine, we will agree to disagree. I stand by my comment, that we will find out if this is true or not. We have got a lot to learn.

Hey that's fine, we will agree to disagree. I stand by my comment, that we will find out if this is true or not. We have got a lot to learn.

At this point the best way to learn about extraterrestrial life is learn everything you can about life here on Earth. The physical and chemical laws here on Earth are the same everywhere in the universe. Learn about how we think it appeared, how it evolved, what chemical processes are necessary to keep something alive, what conditions were necessary for life to happen and what conditions (mainly cycles) are necessary for life to continue to exist. The more you learn, the more you appreciate how incredible life would be anywhere in the universe.

Unfortunately when many people think about extraterrestrial life, if they don't think of bug-eyed aliens, they think of science fiction: living rocks, creatures made of gas, non-corporeal beings made of "pure energy", and other ideas that make for fun stories but have no scientific basis.

• Like 3

Well like I said, we will agree to disagree, and thats cool. Being from the open minded camp, I suspect the universe(s) have a variety of life forms. Based on the many abduction experiences I have heard about or read about, over the years, its pretty clear, at least to me, and others, is that generally, we are dealing with "humanoid" type life forms with respect to abductions. The height is usually shorter than we are, the hands generally have anywhere from 3-4 fingers, some even have suction cups at the tip. Eyes are two like us, though the shape varies. I still expect we could find a variety of life forms. Time will tell.

Edited by Spacenut56

Honestly, you don't even need to count the planets that just have the same building blocks that Earth has, for all we know Venus could very well have life on it. Just growing and living off different substances. On our own planet alone there was found to be a creature that lives off of the carbon monoxide of an underwater volcano.

Sure we should continue to look for life with the same stuff that made us but that's not to say that those types are the ONLY types we should think about.

The thread is titled alien civilisations, there are none on Venus, or Mars, and they are in the habitable Zone, if a microbe has managed to cling on in the most tenuous of conditions close to earth, that's an interesting find, and would mark history, but what in earth do microbes scraping by in extreme conditions have to do with intelligent life? Do people think it is just a hop skip and a jump from a extremophile to an advanced species or something???

Whenever Advanced species are mentioned, people rabbit on about extremophiles, and then fold their arms as if they have somehow raised possibilities of UFO's being intergalactic spaceships.

What's the story there? Seems a bit insane to suggest the two are related? Yes we have extremophiles living on black smokers at the bottom of the ocean, but we do not have any shopping centres down there do we? Why would alien planets have them?

• Like 1

You can agree to disagree till the cows come home, fact is you are plain wrong, ask Michio Kaku if you like, he refutes your musing in the first episode, third season of Through The Wormhole.

Good Series, one you should take the time to watch. You would undoubtedly benefit from it. Greatly. Immensely one might add.

• Like 1