Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

French shop banned from selling e-cigarettes

Still Waters

A French tobacconist won a landmark court case on Monday to stop a nearby shop selling e-cigarettes after a court ruled it was unfair competition as the devices amounted to tobacco products.

The ruling has infuriated e-cigarette vendors after months of heated debate in France and Europe over the legal definition of the devices and how freely they should be sold.

http://www.telegraph...-complaint.html

I'd call it a nicotine product more than a tobacco one.

I agree, but there I hear the UK government want it reclassified as a tobacco product so they can tax it which I think is ridiculous as driving up the price through tax will put people off from quitting smoking.

• Like 3

I actually dislike the electric ones more than tobacco because they're odorless and you can't tell if you're breathing any fumes in or not. I know just being near an area with cigarette smoke makes my lungs usually feel all stuffy so I know to steer clear.

I agree, but there I hear the UK government want it reclassified as a tobacco product so they can tax it which I think is ridiculous as driving up the price through tax will put people off from quitting smoking.

Which means they keep the income from the tax on cigarettes.

Makes perfect sense. If you were a Bond villain or a member of parliament.

• Like 1