Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yellowstone Super Volcano much larger

seeder

I would not like to be a local when this thing erupts again, heck I wouldn't even want to be in the surrounding states!!!

The supervolcano that lies beneath Yellowstone National Park in the US is far larger than was previously thought, scientists report.

A study shows that the magma chamber is about 2.5 times bigger than earlier estimates suggested. A team found the cavern stretches for more than 90km (55 miles) and contains 200-600 cubic km of molten rock.

Prof Bob Smith, from the University of Utah, said: “We’ve been working there for a long time, and we’ve always thought it would be bigger... but this finding is astounding."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-25312674

Edited by seeder
  • Like 4

When/if it goes it will largely destroy the US, and severely affect the rest of the world... In some respects it might be better to be at ground zero than to be 2,000 miles away...

• Like 5

When/if it goes it will largely destroy the US, and severely affect the rest of the world... In some respects it might be better to be at ground zero than to be 2,000 miles away...

Makes me think of the myths of Atlantis - a great ancient advanced civilisation destroyed by a volcano. Except Atlantis apparently sunk into the sea.

Anyway, it's as like to happen in a million years or never, there are real problems we can fix in the world to worry about and I'm not overly concerned for my American friends over this one.

BBC Vid: Supervolcano - The Truth About Yellowstone

This is part 2 of a vid where the crap hits the fan..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvgKhI-10AM

if you want to see the first part go here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t90PstI6Nac

• Like 1

Looks like Oregon is in the clear. :tu:

• Like 2

I would not like to be a local when this thing erupts again, heck I wouldn't even want to be in the surrounding states!!!

The supervolcano that lies beneath Yellowstone National Park in the US is far larger than was previously thought, scientists report.

A study shows that the magma chamber is about 2.5 times bigger than earlier estimates suggested. A team found the cavern stretches for more than 90km (55 miles) and contains 200-600 cubic km of molten rock.

Prof Bob Smith, from the University of Utah, said: “We’ve been working there for a long time, and we’ve always thought it would be bigger... but this finding is astounding."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-25312674

There's an eight-inch-thick ash deposit on Davidson Mesa near Boulder, Colorado that this thing put down last time it went off. It could produce ramifications world wide.

Doug

• Like 1

Looks like Oregon is in the clear. :tu:

Until the ash cloud spreads in the atmosphere and creates darker colder conditions... the BBC vid implied it would be catastrophic for the whole world, and the docu was made before they realised just how big it is, I expect.

We'd all be stuffed..

• Like 2

Makes me think of the myths of Atlantis - a great ancient advanced civilisation destroyed by a volcano. Except Atlantis apparently sunk into the sea.

I've often wondered that myself. The myths you hear today about civilizations that once existed were destroyed by a natural disaster.

I often wonder if humans weren't more advanced then science gives credit but a lot was lost so speculation is made. If our civilization is destroyed

by a natural disaster and greatly reduces the world population, What would our decendents make of their distant past once they rebuild.

• Like 5

I guess we got the Family Mealcano instead of the Combocano.

Huh. I live close by. Hopefully nothing in my lifetime.

This illustrates why I tend to doubt there are many advanced societies in outer space. There are so many of these sorts of things that can every now and then reduce the evolving life on a planet back to single-celled status that over billions of years a planet is extremely lucky to avoid them.

• Like 3

Huh. I live close by. Hopefully nothing in my lifetime.

Or in you children's either..

How many don't we know about ?

This illustrates why I tend to doubt there are many advanced societies in outer space. There are so many of these sorts of things that can every now and then reduce the evolving life on a planet back to single-celled status that over billions of years a planet is extremely lucky to avoid them.

True, but the periods of time between major disasters on our planet are very long compared to how long we went from agriculture to today. Relatively speaking, even from the first primates to today isn't that long on a geological scale.

It takes quite a disaster to reduce all life to microscopic organisms, the earth hasn't seen one of those in about 250 million years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

• Like 2

What if:

This is the Mother of all Volacanoes and has always been there...erupting every couple of 100,000 years? What if it erupted and detroyed the Dinosaur population millions of years ago? Then it erupted again and caused the ice age? Erupted again...good bye Atlantis. Erupted again...Goodbye Humanity as we know it.

I`ll bet anyone in here that It Dont rupt any time in our Life times !

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

• Like 1

Sucks to be you...and me...if it does...unless you are in South Texas...maybe...Don't think I would want to be stuck on the Dallas High Five with a biblical sized lava flow...then again, maybe I would...but then again...no...I like shish-ka-bob but don't want to be one...

Well, with any luck our technology will have advanced to the point to where even in most of our population is killed, we can bounce back in a hundred years or so with all the leftover books to relearn vital technologies from.

• Like 1

Well, with any luck our technology will have advanced to the point to where even in most of our population is killed, we can bounce back in a hundred years or so with all the leftover books to relearn vital technologies from.

Books??? Technology??? Hey look Bob, a book...and it has this glass thing called a light...let's make one...oh, look...here are instructions on how to make an Iphone 5.... :no:

Fairly close to where I live are some man made caves dug into the missouri river bluffs (wharehousing) that some entrepeneurs bought and refurbished. They are selling space to people right now for those who want to seal themselves away from any type of disaster. I'm wondering if their sales are going to go up.

Follow up; I just googled it;

http://www.kshb.com/...atchison-kansas

Here's a funny line from the site;

"We're not capitalizing on fears, we're resolving them," Vicino said. "We're providing a life assurance solution to the concerns that people have."

Edited by Gaden

True, but the periods of time between major disasters on our planet are very long compared to how long we went from agriculture to today. Relatively speaking, even from the first primates to today isn't that long on a geological scale.

It takes quite a disaster to reduce all life to microscopic organisms, the earth hasn't seen one of those in about 250 million years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

Let me disagree with this by pointing out that life took several billion years to reach the human level. If just once during that time a major catastrophe capable of reducing life back to single cells had happened, we would not be here. It came damn close in the Permian extinction and very close several other times. I think we have been extremely lucky.
  • Like 1