Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yellowstone Super Volcano much larger

seeder

The whole phenomenon is a result of heat HEAT convection currents. The idea is the planet letting internal heat escape. There is a magma chamber that creates a theoretical danger of eruption. All the stuff happening above that chamber is either directly or indirectly a result.

I guess I'm impatient this morning with what appears to me above to be rank stupidity, and maybe not reading what I post but jumping to conclusions. The whole thing is to do with heat.

The whole phenomenon is a result of heat HEAT convection currents. The idea is the planet letting internal heat escape. There is a magma chamber that creates a theoretical danger of eruption. All the stuff happening above that chamber is either directly or indirectly a result.

I guess I'm impatient this morning with what appears to me above to be rank stupidity, and maybe not reading what I post but jumping to conclusions. The whole thing is to do with heat.

Do a little reading on the matter, Yes heat is the reason the rock is molten. Molten rock tends to rise. The heat from the molten rock causes the water in the fissures above the molten rock to turn to steam, which expands and blows out of the geysers, condenses , travels back down and is reheated again, the frequency of which is governed be the routing of the fissures. The pressure is caused by the uplifting of the magma dome as is clearly shown in the picture I posted.

• Like 1

I don't need this. You are either unbelievably dense or ignorant. Don't tell me to read up on things I am very familiar with.

Well hell if the ash cloud were to hit Southeastern Louisiana, we'd just hose it down to make sure nothing blows away, wait a few years and start building on top of it. lol That's how we roll. B)

• Like 1

thats right Child of Bast...the great folks of La. sre die hard people and alot of fun also ...would like to move there

Somewhere way back when, I remember reading an article that said there wasn't enough eruptible magma at the current time to produce a super-eruption. Only about 10% of the magma chamber has a low enough viscosity. That new study may supersede the one I read, so take it with a grain of salt.

Another thought: pressures in that chamber in the past have raised the surface high enough to retain a permanent ice cover. The current surface is nowhere near the point where it could support permanent ice. I suspect that this is another one of those imminent disasters that we don't need to worry about anytime soon.

Doug

• Like 2

I've never bothered to google it before, but I wonder if we could dig some kind of pipe to slowly relieve pressure, while converting the energy to electricity...

This has Geo-Thermal mega-powerplant(s) written all over it. We should be able to sink heat sinks into it and use the heat to power generators.

You don't have to go all the way to the magna to collect the heat, so risk would be minimal.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

It is one doom and gloom scenario after another. No wonder people get depressed and stressed out. Life is full of things that can or will kill us but spend our time living each day to the fullest.

LIfe is not about living and dying, it is about how you live.
:innocent:

It is one doom and gloom scenario after another. No wonder people get depressed and stressed out. Life is full of things that can or will kill us but spend our time living each day to the fullest.

Much of Life IS trying to kill us. And...as if that weren't bad enough...The Freaking Planet is trying to kill us. We are doomed...doomed to die. But life cannot survive without death...

...the final outcome of thought on the subject is...

spend our time living each day to the fullest :tu:

• Like 1

I don't see any survival of an eruption of this magnitude. Even before this new measurment it was known that U.S. crop production would be ruined for a century at least, and we feed a lot of the world. The dust cloud would encircle the earth, probably trigerring an ice age and at the very least destroying the ability to grow food world wide. No one would be safe, and nothing can be done.

I disagree. I think many people would survive. Even if it's only 50,000, that is plenty to thrive.

• Like 1

I disagree. I think many people would survive. Even if it's only 50,000, that is plenty to thrive.

I wouldn't disagree with that, I didn't actually mean no life would survive, more like our way of life. Since we and all of the other animals are alive today means that we have survived these kinds of thing before.

• Like 1

That's known as a bottle neck and it apparently occurred after the Lake Toba (Spelling??) super Volcano blew its top. They think the population went down to as little as 100 000 individuals.

Would not be pleasant. Maybe this time we will have some warning, if that will do us any good.

I wouldn't disagree with that, I didn't actually mean no life would survive, more like our way of life. Since we and all of the other animals are alive today means that we have survived these kinds of thing before.

And not only that, there has been a huge increase in doomsday shelters being built, and many are just for the wealthy but even survivalists have similar plans

"Inside America's luxury bomb shelters" The underground homes which have enough space for pools, basketball courts... and even private jets

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2327932/The-boom-luxury-underground-bomb-shelters--room-swimming-pools-basketball-courts--private-jet.html

Sales of luxe doomsday bunkers up 1,000%

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/22/real_estate/doomsday_bunkers/

Plus many many similar stories

That's been going on for a long time by people with money to throw away. I think I would rather not survive such a thing.

That's known as a bottle neck and it apparently occurred after the Lake Toba (Spelling??) super Volcano blew its top. They think the population went down to as little as 100 000 individuals.

100,000? Knock off a zero or two and you be closer. I've read it went down to as little as 10,000 or maybe half that.

More recent research suggests that the Toba eruption may not have had the effect on the human population previously postulated:

http://www.livescien...no-effects.html

• Like 2

That's been going on for a long time by people with money to throw away. I think I would rather not survive such a thing.

I'd certainly like to survive. It would not be pretty, but it certainly would be interesting.

I-Am-Legend-Dissected3.jpg

20/20 did a story on this tonite.its scary I live in New York. All of America can be destroyed.

thats right Child of Bast...the great folks of La. sre die hard people and alot of fun also ...would like to move there

Somewhere way back when, I remember reading an article that said there wasn't enough eruptible magma at the current time to produce a super-eruption. Only about 10% of the magma chamber has a low enough viscosity. That new study may supersede the one I read, so take it with a grain of salt.

Another thought: pressures in that chamber in the past have raised the surface high enough to retain a permanent ice cover. The current surface is nowhere near the point where it could support permanent ice. I suspect that this is another one of those imminent disasters that we don't need to worry about anytime soon.

Doug

I agree. The height of the lava dome is the key to predicting when it is time to move west in a hurry. It is fairly low at the moment and poses no threat in the near future. However, when it does blow, mankind will have to develope a taste for fungus as that is all that will grow for quite awhile. This could be done by using mines and underground facilities. I imagine a sizable population could survive this way. It would be tough but doable.

Edited by Hankenhunter

Supervolcanoes like Yellowstone can explode without an earthquake or other external trigger, experts have found. The sheer volume of liquid magma is enough to cause a catastrophic super-eruption, according to an experiment at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) in Grenoble.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25598050