Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who are the most significant people ever?

Still Waters

I would put Karl Marx above Adolph Hitler as his influence was more pervasive and lasted longer. Also put John Locke ahead of the American founding fathers as the country was based on his ideas. Plato should be on the list as both Christianity and Judaism are forms of Neoplatonism. Christianity, especially, shows its influence. Galileo deserves a place for initiating modern science.

• Like 1

Jesus Christ without a doubt.

Martin Luther King Jr. One of the most significant individuals to ever live. Wish he was still alive.

Oh I give up...I really do!

First, my Knighthood's got lost in the post, then the flippin' Pope pulls divine strings to get himself voted Person of the Year in front of me, now I discover I didn't even make the short list for the accolade of 'Your Friendly, Neighbourhood Tyrant!'

I'm gonna sulk down the pub!

Looks like we will have to wait for our Knighthood and settle for the MID’s…

Get one in for me while you’re there and a nice Whiskey chaser..I will be an hour behind you, and no doubt several drinks by then! :tu:

• Like 2

Oh I give up...I really do!

First, my Knighthood's got lost in the post, then the flippin' Pope pulls divine strings to get himself voted Person of the Year in front of me, now I discover I didn't even make the short list for the accolade of 'Your Friendly, Neighbourhood Tyrant!'

I'm gonna sulk down the pub!

My wife offered to crown me several times... So I guess I'm ahead of you on that score...

And I am currently running for World Emperor, on a platform of "Hey I can't possibly be worse than these clowns"... My political party

has recently doubled in size, after the drunk in the pub last night agreed with my booze befuddled ramblings - so we are the fastest growning political party in the US (200%!)....

Edited by Taun
  • Like 6

I say no body is significant or everybody is significant, depending on your point of view.

edit for: I would not have guessed Shakespear would be in the top ten but I can't disagree with that pick.

Edited by OverSword

Miley Cyrus.

I would put Karl Marx above Adolph Hitler as his influence was more pervasive and lasted longer.

As you can see, he's pleased about that.

• Like 2

"authors Steven Skiena and Charles War have ordered the most influential based primarily on Wikipedia pages - looking at the length of individual entries, how many times an entry has been viewed, how many sites link to an entry and how rich an entry's references section is"

Using the length of one's Wikipedia entry as the criterion sounds a really scientific method. :unsure2: What next? The number of views on YouTube?

• Like 3

My father, he taught me about card counting. 6-somi_sm_shifty.gif

• Like 3

God knows. First fire user, first stone chipper, first scribe, the guy who came up with the concept of the zero... It's nobody we can name. The people we can name are basically froth on a very deep sea.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 4

ok, they need to re-title that list to "the people who have been written about a lot". seriously, that is not necessarily a good gauge of significance. i'd have liked to see good old charlie darwin on there, at any rate. also the person who invented the belgian waffle.

• Like 2

Clearly Darwin was the most influential of the nineteenth century and I suppose Einstein or one of the founders of quantum mechanics for the twentieth.

Scientists don't get the fame the enduring importance of their activity warrants. Political figures tend to be seen above them, but what they do is transitory and washes out in the flow of history after a few centuries. Artistic and literary figures have enduring importance, but not the way scientists do. Religious leaders are mostly either charlatans or myths or delusional.

• Like 3

God knows. First fire user, first stone chipper, first scribe, the guy who came up with the concept of the zero... It's nobody we can name. The people we can name are basically froth on a very deep sea.

First farmer, first to domesticate animals, first boat maker...

No, you hit the nail on the head. They get my vote.

Statesmen, scientists, great warlords, giants of medicine....they all become mere blurry also-rans in the presence of the living proof of God's love for mankind......The first Brewer!

• Like 3

It depends on which Country you live in.We all have our Hero's and men of distinction,and therefore every ones view is different,for example I wouldn't rate Shakespeare in the same league as Churhill and Nelson with Boadicea close behind.Shakespeare may have been a literary genius but we wouldn't have an England if it wasn't for the guys mentioned above.

• Like 1

It depends on which Country you live in.We all have our Hero's and men of distinction,and therefore every ones view is different,for example I wouldn't rate Shakespeare in the same league as Churhill and Nelson with Boadicea close behind.Shakespeare may have been a literary genius but we wouldn't have an England if it wasn't for the guys mentioned above.

it is an interesting question isn't it, would things have worked out differently if one or two of these people hadn't got to prominence? If Churchill hadn't become PM in 1940, how would things have worked out? If someone else had replaced Chamberlain, would they have been able to hold the nation together, would the Battle of Britain have been lost? if it had, what effect would that have had on history? Without Nelson, would naval supremacy still have been won against the French? Almost certainly it would have been, there were more than enough excellent commanders; perhaps in fact Napoleon might have been got rid of a lot quicker, if he'd been intercepted on his way to Egypt.

Statesmen, scientists, great warlords, giants of medicine....they all become mere blurry also-rans in the presence of the living proof of God's love for mankind......The first Brewer!

Another Ben Franklin quote: "Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy"...

• Like 1

Clearly Darwin was the most influential of the nineteenth century and I suppose Einstein or one of the founders of quantum mechanics for the twentieth.

Scientists don't get the fame the enduring importance of their activity warrants. Political figures tend to be seen above them, but what they do is transitory and washes out in the flow of history after a few centuries. Artistic and literary figures have enduring importance, but not the way scientists do. Religious leaders are mostly either charlatans or myths or delusional.

thinking more on this idea, there are plenty of scientists who are not well known at all (outside of their fields) whose ideas still had a profound affect on the world.

man, it's almost like there is no easy measure of significance, and the writers of the article were just pulling things out of... well, anyways.

• Like 2

^ I'm thinking scientists, like Archimedes , Newton, Einstein, and brilliant engineers like Tesla! ..

People like Genghis Kahn and Alexander the Great are Impressive and all but ... we are more advanced by brain than brawn?

The greatest Un-named person ever, the guy who changed human history, is the person who invented the WHEEL.

• Like 1

Henry Ford who came up with the concept of the assembly line thereby revolutionizing the industrial age.

Henry Ford who came up with the concept of the assembly line thereby revolutionizing the industrial age.

No, sorry susieice, Henry Ford didn't conceptualize the assembly line, he profited from it though.

"Henry Ford did not invent the automobile. He didn’t even invent the assembly line."

Source: http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/hf/

He was a well known racist though.

Crawford Williamson Long (1815-1878)

CW Long is the creator of the modern anesthesia and recognized as the first physician to have administered ether anesthesia for pain free surgery. Before that times, surgery must have been an indescribable horror. Even amputations were done without any effective anesthesia in use.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1