Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Updated] That phony Mandela signer...

RavenHawk

Could you explain please what you mean by that (to outsiders such as me)?

I will tomorrow. I want to allow enough time for the groans. You can google it to get an idea but you still might not get the meaning, so just stay tuned.

That fellow was directly next to the President. If he hadn't been busy rubbing his hands together in some totally fake sign language, he'd have been able to stab any of dozens of the world's most powerful people.

He did look good while he was up there. Stood straight and had a suit on.

4_2762268k.jpg

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

Love how so many people are disrespecting interpreters from the original phony on down. :td:

• Like 2

.....and the pantomime continues.......

• Like 2

That fellow was directly next to the President. If he hadn't been busy rubbing his hands together in some totally fake sign language, he'd have been able to stab any of dozens of the world's most powerful people.

No great loss in most cases!

• Like 1

Mandela sign language 'fake' blames 'schizophrenic episode' and voices in his head for gibberish interpretation that included words 'prawns' and 'rocking horse'

* Interpreter at memorial said he may have suffered episode on stage

* Thamsanqa Jantjie said he started hearing voices in his head during event

* He has apologised and said he did not know what triggered attack

* It has been claimed he repeatedly signed words 'prawns' and 'donkeys'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2522398/Mandela-memorial-sign-language-fake-blames-schizophrenia-nonsense-interpretation.html#ixzz2nFsGvguz

:clap:

Lol, I don't read sign language but I watched much of the event and I did wonder if sign language came with a "short hand" version. One speaker spoke for a full 20 seconds and the sign language guy moved his hand in just 3 "signs" - if that's even what they were.

• Like 1

He was just on the TV news, he said he saw Angels coming into the stadium and realised he was in trouble :clap: Oh boy you couldn't make this up - for a worldwide televised state funeral now could you?

typo

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

I bet he was really listening to Madonna on his headphones...and was vogueing!!

Anyway here he is apologising

Mandela memorial signer: Please forgive me, I was seeing angels :tu:

Edited by seeder

I bet he was really listening to Madonna on his headphones...and was vogueing!!

Anyway here he is apologising

Mandela memorial signer: Please forgive me, I was seeing angels :tu:

[media=]

[/media]

Oki doki, so seeing Angels gives one "tourettes" of the hands so that they repeatedly spout the words prawn and donkey - you learn something new every day here at UM.

• Like 1

Whatever the details the man is delusional and wasn't out to harm anyone so he needs forgiving and medicine.

• Like 5

Oki doki, so seeing Angels gives one "tourettes" of the hands so that they repeatedly spout the words prawn and donkey - you learn something new every day here at UM.

:w00t:

Whatever the details the man is delusional and wasn't out to harm anyone so he needs forgiving and medicine.

with that on his CV though I dont think he'll be doing more 'translation signing' again...

• Like 1

This is in poor taste, if the man is mentally ill and had a nonviolent episode he couldn't control what he did but making fun of him for his illness is shameful.

Mabon.

• Like 7

It's not easy to stab a shape-shifting lizard! (Especially if there's a team of them).

• Like 1

This is in poor taste, if the man is mentally ill and had a nonviolent episode he couldn't control what he did but making fun of him for his illness is shameful.

Mabon.

If I believed him - what you say is true, however, this isn't an isolated event on his part. There have been complaints to the ANC about his sign language antics stemming back over a year.

http://www.citypress.co.za/news/fake-interpreter-i-am-a-champion-of-sign-language/

From the article:

The Deaf Federation of SA (DeafSA) yesterday told City Press they had officially complained to the ruling party as far back as a year and a half ago about Jantjie’s interpreting at ANC events.

• Like 2

LibstaK,

that would be for the experts in sign language to discuss and review his ability . If the people chosen to sign weren't vetted in some way then that was lax of the organizers especially, considering the importance of the event.

Mabon.

• Like 3

LibstaK,

that would be for the experts in sign language to discuss and review his ability . If the people chosen to sign weren't vetted in some way then that was lax of the organizers especially, considering the importance of the event.

Mabon.

I heartily agree, the organizers have a lot to answer for regarding many aspects of the event. Another interesting point that has been made across some articles is that sign language fraud is common in Sth Africa, with it's many dialects etc it is difficult to verify the authenticity of the interpreter unless you are an expert and fraudsters take advantage of the fact that those who employ them do not themselves know how to read sign language at all.

• Like 7

I just hope nobody goes to harm this guy. He's obviously suffering from a mental issue, as he himself is saying. Why else would he make a fool of himself in that way?

• Like 2

‘Fake’ interpreter at Mandela ceremony once accused of murder, rape: report

Thamsanqa Jantjie, 34, who said a schizophrenic fit distracted him from providing proper sign language during the Nelson Mandela memorial service, has a rap sheet that includes charges of murder, rape and kidnapping, according to a report. Many of the charges were later dropped in court because he was mentally unfit to stand trial.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/fake-interpreter-mandela-ceremony-university-school-unknown-article-1.1546627

• Like 2

This is what happens when you accept the lowest bidder.

• Like 2