Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dinosaur extinction mechanism finally revealed

UM-Bot

Alexander Popoff: In 1980, Science magazine published a dinosaurs-killed-by-a-giant-asteroid theory by Luis Alvarez. Critics asked how creatures outside the impact area were killed. Alvarez replied: “From darkness. The impact created huge amounts of dust, cutting off the sun’s power by up to 20% for 8 to 13 years.” Actually, the “dark times” lasted much longer - about 100,000 years, and started a long time before the impact events.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article
  • Like 1

That was an awesome read. Easy to understand and comprehensive at the same time.

Interesting theory. I'd like to know if someone knowledgeable about topic time could confirm whether the theory is compatible with the survival of non-mammalian creatures like crocodiles, turtles, birds and frogs.

Finally revealed? Here in NY, we've been teaching this to kids in grade school since the 70's.

I'd like to know if someone knowledgeable about topic time could confirm whether the theory is compatible with the survival of non-mammalian creatures like crocodiles, turtles, birds and frogs.

I heard another theory that hypothesized that debris blown up past the atmosphere from the impact burning up as it was pulled back to earth would have increased the air temperature into the several hundreds, and vaporized anything not underground or under mud or water instantly. The people who support this theory point to a thin layer of glass particles found at the extinction point in the geological record.

However, I can't find a link to this theory, apologies. I heard it on Radio Lab.

Interesting theory. I'd like to know if someone knowledgeable about topic time could confirm whether the theory is compatible with the survival of non-mammalian creatures like crocodiles, turtles, birds and frogs.

Not a theory but there have been fossils found after the KT line event

Finally revealed? Here in NY, we've been teaching this to kids in grade school since the 70's.

I heard another theory that hypothesized that debris blown up past the atmosphere from the impact burning up as it was pulled back to earth would have increased the air temperature into the several hundreds, and vaporized anything not underground or under mud or water instantly. The people who support this theory point to a thin layer of glass particles found at the extinction point in the geological record.

However, I can't find a link to this theory, apologies. I heard it on Radio Lab.

Wasn't there a dinosaur extinction program on youtube? with that theory?